Author Topic: Boaters Rescued After Five Months at Sea  (Read 12411 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Boaters Rescued After Five Months at Sea
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
Sad thing is, a couple of women sailing to Tahiti and knocking about the South Pacific in a sailboat could probably be made into a decent book/movie without the BS lies. Now I suspect that if they did fake any of it they will be shamed in the sailor world and have to fall back on blaming Trump for all their misfortune.

Still a better love story than Twilight.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
Starting to sound like their story is gonna unravel faster than cheap Chinese sweater.

Maybe they were taking lessons from Norwegian submariners.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
A few more interesting points:

The "force 11" storm they endured did not exist according to NOAA and NASA data.

A cell phone fell overboard in the nonexistent storm.

They thought about turning around after the nonexistent storm and heading to Maui, but Maui doesn't have a harbor deep enough for their boat. Maui.  ;/

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sailors-lost-at-sea-didnt-use-emergency-beacon-rescue-us-coast-guard/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
RKL said:

"Now I suspect that if they did fake any of it they will be shamed in the sailor world and have to fall back on blaming Trump for all their misfortune."

:rofl:

This whole thing started to sound hokier and hoaxier as time went on.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:31:39 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Did they also see D.B. Cooper jump out of a Malaysian Airlines jet, which was piloted by Amelia Earhart ?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
A few more interesting points:

The "force 11" storm they endured did not exist according to NOAA and NASA data.

A cell phone fell overboard in the nonexistent storm.

They thought about turning around after the nonexistent storm and heading to Maui, but Maui doesn't have a harbor deep enough for their boat. Maui.  ;/

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sailors-lost-at-sea-didnt-use-emergency-beacon-rescue-us-coast-guard/

They also were able to hail people on Wake but they wouldn't come out and get them because they were on the wrong side of the island. Hmmmm, let's think about this, a vessel in distress,  2 miles away from you but you won't render assistance because they are on the wrong side of the island. Oh yea, that rings true.  ;/

"We actually managed to get a hold of someone. We let them know that we'd been drifting for five months and we needed assistance," Appel said. "And they responded. They said if we could get to the entrance to the harbor, that they would help us.

"But we were on the north side of the island, and the entrance to the harbor is on the south side of the island, and the swell and the wind were pushing (us) west."

bob

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
It seems as phony as Tom Steyer’s impeach Trump petition.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
Here's some good reading about the intrepid mariners, commentary from some real sailors-

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194198-two-sailors-and-dogs-rescued-after-5-months/&tab=comments#comment-5967131
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
Now there is a version where it wasn't the cell phone, but the sat phone that immediately fell overboard. Also coordinated attacks by 30' tiger sharks (Sharknado!). It's all actually becoming entertaining at this point.

My big take away at  the end of all this will be, "poor dogs".

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/01/hawaii-womens-tale-survival-at-sea-unraveling-as-more-evidence-disputes-claims.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Now there is a version where it wasn't the cell phone, but the sat phone that immediately fell overboard. Also coordinated attacks by 30' tiger sharks (Sharknado!). It's all actually becoming entertaining at this point.

My big take away at  the end of all this will be, "poor dogs".

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/01/hawaii-womens-tale-survival-at-sea-unraveling-as-more-evidence-disputes-claims.html

Much crazy going on.  I'm in the "bucking for a book deal/tv movie" camp.  These girls are full of *expletive deleted*it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
Much crazy going on.  I'm in the "bucking for a book deal/tv movie" camp.  These girls are full of *expletive deleted*it.

If you correlate all the known information as related by the women at this point and put it in chronological order, it's pretty much the script of a SyFy network disaster movie.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
If you correlate all the known information as related by the women at this point and put it in chronological order, it's pretty much the script of a SyFy network disaster movie.

Nah; it still lacks a Burt Gummer type character giving them distasteful-yet-correct advice that they completely ignore no matter how many times he's proven right.

OTOH, I guess they're lucky they didn't get run over by a USN destroyer late at night.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
I keep thinking their newly-developed Plan B is for one of them to spill the beans in a book deal about planning the hoax (blaming the other), the two are then outwardly furious at each other, but secretly split the book proceeds.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
Nah; it still lacks a Burt Gummer type character giving them distasteful-yet-correct advice that they completely ignore no matter how many times he's proven right.

OTOH, I guess they're lucky they didn't get run over by a USN destroyer late at night.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
They also were able to hail people on Wake but they wouldn't come out and get them because they were on the wrong side of the island. Hmmmm, let's think about this, a vessel in distress,  2 miles away from you but you won't render assistance because they are on the wrong side of the island. Oh yea, that rings true.  ;/

bob

Had to pass on Guam too,  as they didn't want to tip it over.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
The story continues to evolve. When the story broke, the versions I read were that a Taiwanese fishing boat called the Coast Guard, initiating the rescue. Appel's version now is that the Taiwanese fishing boat tried to kill them (but then allowed her on board to use their sat phone to call the Coast Guard).

http://www.newser.com/story/251319/women-lost-at-sea-actually-fishing-vessel-tried-to-kill-us.html

http://time.com/5015057/women-lost-at-sea-tough-questions/

I am commencing to think that Ms. Appel is a few bricks short of a load.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
I am commencing to think that Ms. Appel is a few bricks short of a load.

Not trying to be mean, and keeping the aPs ideals in mind, I still have to say that you can pretty much tell that just by looking at her.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:42 PM »
Not trying to be mean, and keeping the aPs ideals in mind, I still have to say that you can pretty much tell that just by looking at her.

Either I'm that much older than you are, or my eyesight is worse than I thought. Looking at her web site, I thought she was a pretty good-looking woman.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 01:10:20 AM »
I kinda thought "she" might be a trans. ...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2017, 04:20:10 AM »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2017, 05:24:24 AM »
http://gcaptain.com/watch-lost-at-sea-sailors-attempt-to-clear-the-air-on-story Wow, those ladies. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

That woman is more full of *expletive deleted*it than a Christmas turkey.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
She's digging in on the bullshit shark story.  And those pictures she took....6' sharks at most.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
So lemme get this straight - the taiwanese were trying to kill them, so she uses a surfboard to get to and board said taiwanese boat in order to use their sat phone to call the coasties, because the epirb would have alerted the taiwanese to her intent. Cray-cray.

Also, again, bad movie plot.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
So lemme get this straight - the taiwanese were trying to kill them, so she uses a surfboard to get to and board said taiwanese boat in order to use their sat phone to call the coasties, because the epirb would have alerted the taiwanese to her intent. Cray-cray.

Also, again, bad movie plot.

Let us not forget that they would have been dead within 24 hours if the Navy hadn't rescued them -- but they weren't in sufficient danger to activate the EPIRB.

I don't get the surfboard part. I've never cruised on a 50-foot sailboat, but I have owned a 30-footer and crewed on a 45-foot offshore sailboat, and I used to go to multiple sailboat shows every year to ogle the boats I'd never be able to afford. I cannot imagine bringing a surfboard on a sailboat that size for an extended cruise.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
I like to learn something every day, and in looking at the articles about this, I have a question about the watermaker.  Especially for the size that you would carry on a sailboat, does this work via distillation or an osmotic membrane filter?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.