Author Topic: Boaters Rescued After Five Months at Sea  (Read 12407 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Boaters Rescued After Five Months at Sea
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »

I don't get the surfboard part. I've never cruised on a 50-foot sailboat, but I have owned a 30-footer and crewed on a 45-foot offshore sailboat, and I used to go to multiple sailboat shows every year to ogle the boats I'd never be able to afford. I cannot imagine bringing a surfboard on a sailboat that size for an extended cruise.

Surfboards/kayaks are actually pretty common. In Santa Barbara, there were fewer boats without those on board than with. All the urchin divers, lobster guys, etc. would bring their boards on the little 22'-29' Radons that are so popular there. That was 2-4 boards per boat. Sailboats have a bit less deck room, but even stuff like the Catalina 25s would have a surfboard or kayak tied down somewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
Let us not forget that they would have been dead within 24 hours if the Navy hadn't rescued them -- but they weren't in sufficient danger to activate the EPIRB.

I don't get the surfboard part. I've never cruised on a 50-foot sailboat, but I have owned a 30-footer and crewed on a 45-foot offshore sailboat, and I used to go to multiple sailboat shows every year to ogle the boats I'd never be able to afford. I cannot imagine bringing a surfboard on a sailboat that size for an extended cruise.

I see a lot of stand up paddle boards  on the boats at the lake as well as smaller kayaks. I've even strapped my little 12' kayak to the life lines and put it in the water during a raft up.
Kind of a light duty tender/dinghy.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »
I guess my age is showing (again).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
It is a fairly recent trend.
 :old:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
I like to learn something every day, and in looking at the articles about this, I have a question about the watermaker.  Especially for the size that you would carry on a sailboat, does this work via distillation or an osmotic membrane filter?

Probably an RO on that size boat.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
Dominatrix...she has been beaten by the ugly stick or that Adam's apple is too small.

A real butter face.  Or a man.  Hard to say.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
Surfboards/kayaks are actually pretty common. In Santa Barbara, there were fewer boats without those on board than with. All the urchin divers, lobster guys, etc. would bring their boards on the little 22'-29' Radons that are so popular there. That was 2-4 boards per boat. Sailboats have a bit less deck room, but even stuff like the Catalina 25s would have a surfboard or kayak tied down somewhere.

Yup.  My  buddy out here has a kayak and paddleboard on the bow of his 35' cabo sportfish.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
Either I'm that much older than you are, or my eyesight is worse than I thought. Looking at her web site, I thought she was a pretty good-looking woman.

In looking at this picture, with no regard to attractiveness or lack of same, can you really say you would trust anything that she says?

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
Is that an old pic of micheal Jackson and Barbara Streisand?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG