Author Topic: Single or Double Handle Faucets?  (Read 904 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Single or Double Handle Faucets?
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
What do you like - single or double handle?

I've for years (decades now?) used single handle, but have been going back to double handle. I'm thinking simpler and the dang washers and stuff seem to last longer with movement in only one axis.

In another "turn your man card in" incident*, I had my plumber out a couple of weeks ago to replace a bathroom faucet. He also said he has been preferring double handle and installing more of them as replacements and in new construction.

* The last three times that I decided I wasn't going to touch something and have the pro do it, it has paid off. All three were older installs and boy were they stuck. I've known my plumber for I guess 20 years now, and boy was he cussing at me from under the bathroom sink as he worked on the shutoff valves (I always replace everything from the wall on out). So cussing through familiarity, but he said he was really afraid something was going to break behind the drywall. I was happy to be less manly.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Single or Double Handle Faucets?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Single handle.

I've had single handle in my house for 23 years in my primary bathroom, and have never had to change the cartridge.

I'm going to change the entire faucet though, as it's getting really dated and I don't care for the look.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
We have three vanity sinks, and the builder installed double-handle faucets on all of them.  The kitchen had a single-handle faucet, and we recently replaced it with a nicer single-handle faucet.  This is pretty much how all the houses in our development were built (1.5-3 years ago).

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
I think single handle is "in" right now.
I just did a bath over in the house and put a 2 handle on the sink. Single in the shower.
I would only use a single for a kitchen. Way easy to lift and adjust a single handle with you're forearm when your hands are grungy.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
I would only use a single for a kitchen. Way easy to lift and adjust a single handle with you're forearm when your hands are grungy.

Single in the kitchen is definitely convenient.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
I seem to recall hearing something about quick opening/closing faucets causing more stress on the piping.  I imagine that is worse with copper over time than other materials. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Double everywhere but kitchen.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
We have single-handled faucets throughout the house.  A single-handled faucet definitely makes it easier to regulate water temperature/volume while shaving but, other than that, I'm indifferent.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Doubles everywhere.

Not out of any particularly well reasoned position, just a style preference.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Just thought about this...

Oddly enough, both bathtub faucets are  double handled...

As I upgrade, I'm going to put in singles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
If you are upgrading a shower, the seperate mixer and flow control valves are nice. Temp can stay set and you just open the flow control valve.
We have them (MOEN) in our master bath with his/hers double shower. Don't laugh, I'm serious. Plumber thought we were crazy at first but we are always getting ready at the same time or overlapping our shower times. Hers is 8" shorter than mine- I'm 6'1" and she is 5'1"- and our temp valves stay set at our own preferences. We also have a handheld on her mix so there are 3 heads all with thier own flow valves.
Even if it was a shower with one head I would have the seperate mix/flow set.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
Everything is double except the shower controls, which have to be single to provide the anti-scald, pressure balancing feature.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design