Author Topic: Foreign currency exchange questions.  (Read 1116 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Foreign currency exchange questions.
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
Figured this should go here, but if not then feel free to move. I grant you permission. :angel:

I've heard some people talking about investing a bit in the Iranian Dinar, apparently they are supposed to be re-denominating their currency by changing the name and removing 3-4 zeros. Supposedly this should be good for anybody who holds the currency now by making them richer. From what I have been told this seems to make since but I was curious about what the far smarter people than me on APS thought about it. What say you people of APS.

???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zahc

• friend
Re: Foreign currency exchange questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:55:41 PM »
Wouldn't the exchange rate from dinar to everything else rapidly move to match that revaluation? Like in ms?

I don't have any hope of beating out the high-frequency traders and their low-latency links.

Old economics joke:

An economics professor and student walk into a bar.

The professor and student both notice a $100 bill on the ground. The professor walks right past it to the bar.

Student: "Aren't you going to pick up the $100 bill?"

Professor: "If there was a $100 bill on the ground, someone would have picked it up already"
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
I have heard this (or varients of this) for years. Don't they typically issue new types of notes that have to be bought with old notes when they start slashing zeros? Then the old notes become Monopoly money.  I have heard coins (which are much more expensive to replace) are typically the only denomination that retains value.

Edit: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=37633.0

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
I'd imagine that they would simply start removing them from circulation.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
I'd imagine that they would simply start removing them from circulation.
To my knowledge, whenever there have been drastic revaluations, new revalued bills are introduced to prevent just the kind of speculation you mentioned.  Sometimes they circulate alongside the old bills, but the old bills maintain their previous value (or lack thereof).  So if you've got a $1,000,000,000,000 bill that is worth New$1, your $1,000,000,000,000 bill will still buy New$1 worth of goods.

Of course, economic growth can revalue an existing currency, but that is a very slow process that is often opposed by central banks.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
Why not pick something with more zeros behind it?

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama