Author Topic: the state of emergency over oil prices  (Read 1139 times)

zahc

• friend
the state of emergency over oil prices
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:05:03 PM »

http://wlos.com/news/local/breaking-state-of-emergency-in-nc-over-gas-shortage

I'm having a hard time understanding how this could be a state of emergency. I didn't even know about it and I live here. Is the bar so low? What next, Walmart runs out of pickles and it's a state of emergency?

If you read the article, it appears the state of emergency suspends a bunch of regulations that would otherwise make it hard to transport fuel in. It seems to me that it would be more flexible to just not have those regulations in the first place.

I have not seen prices move yet, but my local Sheetz is out of fuel. I hope the price gouging kicks in soon, so I can get gas.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:44:51 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: the state of emergency over oil prices
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »
Good luck on the last bit. That's one of the reasons for the state of emergency, it activates anti gouging measures.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »

I'm having a hard time understanding how this could be a state of emergency. I didn't even know about it and I live here. Is the bar so low? What next, Walmart runs out of pickles and it's a state of emergency?

If you've ever been in a Wal-Mart that ran out of pickles, you'd understand why a SOE is necessary.....if not martial law.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
There are two kind of gas stations in the Triangle area right now: abandoned, with bags on the handles, and crowded, with lines out well onto the road. It seems to be about 50/50. On my way to lunch the local Shell was in the "swamped" category, and on the way back it was abandoned. I think people are finding out which stations get a load of gas, then go queue up. A colleague waited 2 hours in line during the workday for gas.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:02:08 PM »

Wanna bet that people who protest against pipelines are angry at the lack of gas?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
Hell, gas dropped a penny today here.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
We've gone up about 38 cents so far in this neck of the woods.  I expect we'll hit at least 50 cents higher before the pipeline is repaired.
Who knows when that will happen, though.  .gov has declared the area around the break an environmentally sensitive area.  I suspect they are throwing every monkey wrench they can find into the owner's repair process.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
A news report I just heard indicates a bypass is just being completed and things will return to normal in a few days.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero