Author Topic: PC help needed!  (Read 1231 times)

Smith

• friend
PC help needed!
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:46:45 AM »
I need to reload Windows on my mom's machine.  I have the disk, but I have never reloaded anything before.  Her machine is full of spyware and probably viruses, hence the reload.  How do I go about this properly?

Thanks everyone!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
PC help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 05:35:46 AM »
Before you do a reload, see if you can clean it up without nuking the system.    GriSoft AVG antivirus has a free version that works quite well. http://www.download-it-free.com/avg/  Sweeps with Spy-bot and AdAware free versions to clean up malware.

I'm not positive on the protocol for an OEM reload, but if data on the machine is unimportant or just plain lost, a format of the disk and re-installation of the OS & applicaitions is the safest way to get a clean machine, then put in a firewall, AV and anti-malware apps BEFORE getting online again.  The OEM disks should have the installer on it with directions, failing that contact the vendor via their help line or web site.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
PC help needed!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:35:48 AM »
Which version of Windows?

Smith

• friend
PC help needed!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:38:25 AM »
I think it is Works?

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
PC help needed!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:42:59 AM »
Works is not Windows, but a Suite of office type applications...
Brian
<><
:)

Smith

• friend
PC help needed!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 05:49:07 AM »
Argh, well, I will look for what she has...somewhere in her desk I'm sure.

Smith

• friend
PC help needed!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:04:55 AM »
Ok, she has XP Home but I can't find her restore disk.  I too have XP Home and I have my restore disk.  May I use mine to fix hers?  What do I need to do?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
PC help needed!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:31:10 AM »
It might, provided you and she have the same make, model and version of PC.  Often restore disks are make/model specific and are set up so that the machine is returned to the "new out of box" condition, with all later applications removed.

It it is just Works for Windows that is hosed, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling it, after you've copied the files for the data made with works to a separate directory for safe keeping.  If thee is critical data and you need/want to do a complete restore, you will need to move the date SOMEWHERE off the machine.  Whith XP Home, I assume the machine as a USB port or two?  Get a Flash/Jump/USB key drive and put the data there for safe keeping.  You can pick up a 256MB one for about $35 at Wally World
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
PC help needed!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »
I am assuming both machines are store bought PC's.

If so, the only way your disk will work if it is an actual Windows XP CD, and not a recovery disk.  Recovery disks are normally set to only be used on the specific model computer they were bought with.  Sometimes manufacturers ship the actual XP CD with the machine, but it isn' all that common.  If you got that disk, then it should work on her computer.

If she does not have a recovery disk, look for information in her user's manual.  Often times, instead of including a recovery disk, they will include a recovery partition in the hard drive.  There is usually a specific buton that must be pressed at a certain time in the boot up to get into this recovery setup, and it will then function the same as a recovery disk.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
PC help needed!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:14:43 PM »
As yet another cost saving measure, most new machines are not shipped with an op sys disk. They rely on the owner to make the disk with their onboard CD writer using a built-in utility.

Long story short, you do not have to have the orig op system CD to reinstall. You can reinstall using any media as long as you have the correct serial number for your license. Look for the sparkly holograhic Microsoft label somewhere on the machine. Your serial number will be printed on it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
PC help needed!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:24:02 AM »
This site should help, once you find the disk:  http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

Left column has the different versions of Windoz.  Click on your version and it will take you to a page which details the various installs.

Basically, if you want to wipe everything and start over, backup all data that you want to keep, shut the machine down and disconnect all peripherials, such as printers, scanners, cameras, etc..., then boot from the Windows CD and follow the instructions for a new install. Format the drive, set the partitions (if needed), and let the program finish the install.  Then download or install all the latest drivers, and then all the stupid windows updates. Install peripherials, anti-virus, and applications software.

If you're good or really lucky, it will take less than a day Cheesy

Another option, is to buy another hard drive (pretty cheap these days) Do your fresh install. Re-install the old drive, transfer data, then wipe that drive (format/partition).  Then you can use the second drive for backups and additional storage.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR