Author Topic: Bill to deny grassroot orgs from contacting Congress.  (Read 1189 times)

bg

Bill to deny grassroot orgs from contacting Congress.
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:30:12 AM »
I feel this is a pretty dangerous bill. Many times I've used the GOA, NRA,
pre written letters to post my feelings to the politicos in D.C.

This bill would stop that and keep us from petitioning the Gov. It seems
more and more like the Gov wants us to thank it for just being. It
takes our tax money and in turn just wants us to pipe down and keep
feeding it, while IT minds our business, doing just about anything
it wants, preferably with NO questions asked.

Whatever happened to "The People" ? Ck it out >
http://www.townhall.com/news/ext_wire.html?rowid=46699

(CNSNews.com) - The U.S. Senate is moving to curtail the influence of non-profit interest groups that routinely contact citizens and urge them to petition their congressmen or senators on issues of concern.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:07:22 AM »
After Campaign Finance Reform I wondered why it has taken the government so long to get moving on the follow on steps???  

Must not want to spook the frog into hopping.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
Ah, my old buddy Joe Lieberman. Who woulda thunk?

His office doesn't even bother to send you a form letter in reply to your letters to him. I also had a friend who worked for him when he was Ct States Attorney. My friend says he's a miserable SOB.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:54:33 AM »
So are we on the way to Totalitarianism? Sure sounds like it, Patriot Act...
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
It's a great idea.  Ordinary folks like us shouldn't keep pestering our lawmakers with our petty, everyday concerns.  They have greater concerns than their constituents.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »
Illegal law.

First amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It's a clear violation of the whole "petition the Government for redress of grievances" thing.  Plus that pesky freedom of speech thingie.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:11:41 PM »
RevDisk, I agree with you. But the Supremes ruled that political ads within so many days of the election are not allowed under the Campaign Finance reform. It seems to me that falls under the same thing.

There isn't a whole lot of "upholding the Constitution" in Washington these days. And it seems the only thing they want to "protect and defend" is their incumbancy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 12:12:24 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I've reached the point where I want these things to keep piling up just so that we can burn it all down.

Is that bad?
Kind of had a talk with a buddy over lunch in that regards. We can't believe some of the crap that has happened in the past 10 years.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 12:23:30 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc
RevDisk, I agree with you. But the Supremes ruled that political ads within so many days of the election are not allowed under the Campaign Finance reform. It seems to me that falls under the same thing.

There isn't a whole lot of "upholding the Constitution" in Washington these days. And it seems the only thing they want to "protect and defend" is their incumbancy.
And the neither Supreme Court nor Congress has smacked down torture (illegal under the War Crimes Act), domestic warrantless wiretapping (illegal under FISA), secret prisons (illegal under War Crimes Act again), etc etc etc.  Regardless of one's political views, it is a cast iron fact that all of those actions were illegal.  Not opinion, fact.  I will provide the links to the laws, and if I need to, I'll bloody highlight the relevant sections if anyone wants.  

None of them have the balls nor the honour to do the correct thing.  They just keep lusting after power and money, trying to get the largest 30 pieces of silver that they can get.  I found it amusing that Congress passed a crippled anti-torture bill, and Bush said he would ignore it as well as the War Crimes Act.   The fact that only a handful of Congresscritters made meekest of statements about it says volumes.

I ain't surprised about none of it.   Just disgusted by the whole lot.   Dem and Repub, left and right.   The lot of 'em, no difference in the end.

Edit : Final thought.  Our Founding Fathers would be so proud.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »
A lot of this has to do with taxes, too. Likely, the groups will still be able to exist, but will lose tax exempt status.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
Edit : Final thought.  Our Founding Fathers would be so proud.
Yeah, as I was reading this I thought about that quote of giving up liberty for safety.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 06:21:45 PM »
Well, what did you expect? It was the last one left, they had to get there someday.
D. R. ZINN