Author Topic: Network Admin Utility Needed  (Read 1369 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Network Admin Utility Needed
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:45:25 AM »
Does anyone know of a utility that will:

1. Allow me to monitor the online status of multiple PCs in a NT domain, both wired and wireless.
2. Keep track of when one or more of those PCs go offline and back online.
3. If possible send me an email or alert of that activity.
4. Not cost me an arm and a leg.

We installed some wireless PCs out in our factory. One of the engineers thinks his tester program on those PCs is crashing because the PC is losing its connection to the network. I cannot find any evidence to proove or disproove his claim. I think it his program but I want to be able to cover my bases with some sort of proof that I am correct. A log showing the connection status of these PCs will help.

Thanks
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 05:38:07 AM »
Yes, but its proprietary to my employer and he has no interest in marketing it. Sad  FREEping may do the job your looking for, sorta since I don't think it can email when things go offline. http://www.tools4ever.com/products/free/freeping/

Big Brother may fit your needs, but is pricy http://www.quest.com/bigbrother/index.asp

How are your coding/scripting skills?  You could write up a small script that attempts a connection to the machines in question, and if it fails sends off an email.  Put that as a scheduled task on a monitoring machine.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:40:56 AM »
I found something called IPMonitor http://ipmonitor.tsarfin.com/index.html that does what most of what I want. I am testing it right now on some of my PCs that I want to keep track of. The product lets me monitor up to 5 PC for free. Any more than that requires me to buy the license key.

I will still look to see if anything better comes up.

How are your coding/scripting skills?  You could write up a small script that attempts a connection to the machines in question, and if it fails sends off an email.  Put that as a scheduled task on a monitoring machine.
My coding/scripting skills are crap. I am a victim of M$ GUI laziness. Wink
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
I've run Big Brother for years. It's a bear to configure the first time, but one it's running, it's incredibly flexible.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:04:29 AM »
Is there a way in XP to log when the NIC loses its connection to the network or when it connects? In performance monitor there looks like a way but after playing with it for an hour I was not able to get it to log any connection events that I am looking for.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:42:42 AM »
Look in the machine's System Event Log.  Filter the events to show only those from source TCPIP.  Look for events 4202, which is a disconnect, and/or event 4201, a reconnection to the network.

You may need to adjust the properties of the event log in order to capture and hold data until you can review it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:24:34 PM »
Look for a utility called "WhatsUp."  I think it's made by Ipswitch.  I have it set to text message me if certain key servers go down.