Author Topic: Getting rid of old cell phones. .  (Read 1121 times)

Fudgieghost

Getting rid of old cell phones. .
« on: March 12, 2006, 02:52:53 PM »
Greetings peoples.  I have two old cell phones that I want to get rid of.  

Ok, I could chuck them, or send them to one of those places that give you about $5 or $10 for them, or donate them to one of those organizations that supplies battered women (BTW, I prefer my women beer battered. . . . sorry, that's quite rude of me. . . I'm against all violence against women, but  I do like things beer battered---well not everything, but shrimp and-----HEY, I'm getting off track here. . )

Anyway, where was I. . oh yeah, , I saw some photo of a raid in Iraq where they found much of the makings of IED's.  In one shot was dozens of cell phones, which are used to detonate these booby traps.  

Now maybe I am worrying over nothing, but I would hate for old cell phones to end up being used this way. . .Do any of you have any suggestions about getting rid of an old cell phone that would preclude this outcome?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
Place on cement block.  Apply hammer vigorously.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »
here's how i do it...

1. place phone on ground
2. shoot
3. shoot
4. shoot
5. see #2

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 03:34:04 AM »
If terrorists want a cellphone, they'll buy a brand new tracfone in a convenience store.
Speaking of, would someone buying an armload of Tracfones at a go with cash raise any red flags?

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:11:39 AM »
If they still work (including the chargers etc) then they might be useful in helping someone set up their home defense plan.  Even cell phones with no service can be used to call 911, and sometimes home invaders cut phone lines before breaking in.  It's a good idea IMO to have a cell phone available in the bedroom or anyplace that might be used to bunker up in the event of uninvited company at 0200.

Don't waste 'em by destroying them if they still work, you (or someone you know) might still be able to use them.

lpl/nc

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:21:34 AM »
If it's compatible with your current service provider, keep it as a spare in case your current phone gets damaged.  This has saved me in the past.  

Chris

TMM

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »
12 gauge...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
Quote from: cordex
If terrorists want a cellphone, they'll buy a brand new tracfone in a convenience store.
Speaking of, would someone buying an armload of Tracfones at a go with cash raise any red flags?
Man, I hope not.  The patriot act is evil....purely evil...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”