Author Topic: Gang of Six deficit reduction plan  (Read 4430 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Gang of Six deficit reduction plan
« on: July 19, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
So far, all I know about this proposed plan is what I read on CNN a few minutes ago, but I will be interested to learn more specifics.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Gang of Six deficit reduction plan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
If it is actually a deficit reduction plan and not a plan to increase taxes, I will be surprised.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
I just heard Sean Hannity ranting about it, although he didn't mention any specifics. I don't think I've ever heard him so mad.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
They'll have to pass it to know what's in it?  Again?  

Are people IN government capable of CUTTING government?  Doubtful.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
I just heard Sean Hannity ranting about it, although he didn't mention any specifics. I don't think I've ever heard him so mad.

Hannity ranting without listing any specifics?  Surely you jest!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
If it is actually a deficit reduction plan and not a plan to increase taxes, I will be surprised.
I read somewhere something today that Coburn proposed raising taxes on the top 40% of taxpayers (pretty much everyone slightly over median income), and he's the most conservative member of that group. [barf]
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
I read somewhere something today that Coburn proposed raising taxes on the top 40% of taxpayers (pretty much everyone slightly over median income), and he's the most conservative member of that group. [barf]

So anyone who makes more than approx 50k gets screwed if Coburn gets his way...I bet his cohorts want to raise taxes on everybody...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
From a brief skim, it's crap.

I think they smoking crack with the SS and Medicare/Medicaid targets.  They're also not taking anything substantial from a entitlements.

Also:

Reduce our publicly-held debt to roughly 70% of our economy by 2021

Way to aim high there guys.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:11:56 PM »
We are so *expletive deleted*ed...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
We are so *expletive deleted*ed...
Yep. The sooner our bond rating and our economy crashes, the sooner we can recover- if ever.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
What's our current budget deficit? Must be around 1.5 trillion? So they are going to reduce the deficit by about a third? ???

Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
They are going to reduce tax deductions for 401(k)'s....yeah, that makes sense, why encourage people to invest, it JUST allows them to not rely in a govt handout when older, but puts valuable capital into the economy where it does some good.  Also, I want to see how they do this...reducing the cap (thereby making sure it never amounts to much), or with only a partial deduction (thereby double-taxing the investment).

This my friends is the most heinous of all the aspects of this proposal, it's seems DESIGNED to keep people more dependent on the govt (it effectively shores up SS by taxing those who plan ahead), and is majorly redistributive, the negative multiplier of this alone is enormous, I have poor hopes for the future.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
 :facepalm:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
:facepalm:

sod facepalms, you need to get Wendi Deng on this "gang of six"

best slap ever
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
All these "savings" are a joke.  Save $4 trillion over ten years when the current red-ink burn rate under Obama will increase the debt by $15-20 trillion in the same time span?  And where is the growth going to come from?

This is all beyond fatuous.  What it really is is insulting to the American people, a barely disguised gauntlet slap from a bunch of people hell-bent on becoming a permanent noble class.

It's time for the Tea Party to re-group and re-strategize--and get militant.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
I have no idea of the provisions but I'll bet it is a variant of the DC Two Step--tax increases today and spending cuts tomorrow.  Only the cuts never materialize.  How any republican can agree is beyond my ability to understand.  Charlie Brown and Lucy parte deux.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
I have no idea of the provisions but I'll bet it is a variant of the DC Two Step--tax increases today and spending cuts tomorrow.  Only the cuts never materialize.  How any republican can agree is beyond my ability to understand.  Charlie Brown and Lucy parte deux.

This.  It's farking smoke and mirrors.  Woe be unto any (R) that goes along with this plan.

Pass the Cut, Cap and Balance in the Senate and send the Balanced Budget Amendment to the states.  Obama and the rest of the D's will crap themselves when they see how fast it passes and becomes part of COTUS.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
Today's congress can't obligate tomorrow's congress to do anything - including cut spending.

If COTUS were amended to FORCE a balanced budget, that would be a reasonable first step.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
Anyone have a link to a bill? Or will this be a 8000 page secret until it gets passed?

I can't find more then an outline of what they plan to do.

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:55:23 AM »
Anyone have a link to a bill? Or will this be a 8000 page secret until it gets passed?

I can't find more then an outline of what they plan to do.

jim

There's a pretty good "summary" above.  If you read through the "code words" it boils down to: Raise Taxes Now, Cut Spending Later.  No really we promise to this time.

DON'T DO IT !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
Which is why Hannity was ranting I'd guess.  I think most of the radio guys understand that if the R's cave on this, the tea party people will stay home next election and Obama will get his reelection because they were stupid.  I think at least some of the House Republicans know this, but it seems not everyone thinks so despite polling that tells them most Americans want spending brought under control.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:35:57 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
They are going to reduce tax deductions for 401(k)'s....yeah, that makes sense, why encourage people to invest, it JUST allows them to not rely in a govt handout when older, but puts valuable capital into the economy where it does some good.  Also, I want to see how they do this...reducing the cap (thereby making sure it never amounts to much), or with only a partial deduction (thereby double-taxing the investment).

This my friends is the most heinous of all the aspects of this proposal, it's seems DESIGNED to keep people more dependent on the govt (it effectively shores up SS by taxing those who plan ahead), and is majorly redistributive, the negative multiplier of this alone is enormous, I have poor hopes for the future.

This was one of the first things that stood out for me too. Besides the reduction for retirement deductions, they are also calling for reduced deductions for charitable contributions. Those damn charities -- taking business away from the .gov!!

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
If the Tea Party folks "stay home" they'd better be planning for survival, of themselves and of this Republic.  What we are seeing unfolding in D.C. is a drama that makes clear we are the AUDIENCE, not any longer a self-governing people.  There can be no serious reforms of this government coming from inside this government.  It's obvious, just for starters, we need term limits, but is this Congress going to vote term limits on itself?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »
That's an interesting side point. I'm ambivalent on term limits in general, but how is it the executive is term-limited and the legislative and judicial branches not? Recognizinging the specific post-FDR politics, it's not philosophically consistent.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch