Author Topic: Psychopathic serial killers traits = Politician traits  (Read 5189 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Psychopathic serial killers traits = Politician traits
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
Read it for yourself.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-psychopaths-teach-us-about-how-to-succeed

Traits that are common among psychopathic serial killers—a grandiose sense of self-worth, persuasiveness, superficial charm, ruthlessness, lack of remorse and the manipulation of others—are also shared by politicians and world leaders. Individuals, in other words, running not from the police. But for office. Such a profile allows those who present with these traits to do what they like when they like, completely unfazed by the social, moral or legal consequences of their actions.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Psychopathic serial killers traits = Politician traits
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
i expect there to be law suits on behalf of the serial killers besmirched by this
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
This is a surprise  ???  ;/

I expect that everybody that ever got a statue made of him was some kind of sumbitch or another.

Dumb crooks go to prison.
Smart crooks go into politics.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Who knew so many academics were glued to Dexter?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
This is a surprise  ???  ;/

I expect that everybody that ever got a statue made of him was some kind of sumbitch or another.

Dumb crooks go to prison.
Smart crooks go into politics.

+1
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
I think the comparisons are facile.  A lot of multiple killers are anything but charming.  This is a Hollywood fantasy.  Monomaniacal and amoral, not "charming."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
I think the comparisons are facile.  A lot of multiple killers are anything but charming.  This is a Hollywood fantasy.  Monomaniacal and amoral, not "charming."

And politicians - um, your point is  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
I score in the top 1/2of 1% on the psychopathy scale.

I've never murdered anybody, I don't pull the wings off flys, and I know what the definition of "is" is.

If anything, having those traits has allowed me to be able to work with, and provide some meaningful intervention to change the behavior to some very sick people - and some of them were convicted and confined in prison, or heading that way very quickly.  Two of them were administrators and I consider my success with them a greater achievement than anything I achieved with anybody else.

If I were a real psychopath I would be either a used car salesman or an Amway representative.

As adlively said - I thought we all already knew this.  I just want to know why it's just dawning on academics (and have a possible answer that will move this into Politics and then shut down in a heartbeat).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »
It is not just politicians. It is well documented that the hookup scene is most "successful" for those with dark triad traits, and for those who emulate those traits. Just start searching for male oriented sites about "game", and it will be clearly and clinically described what works and what doesn't for female attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_triad

The dark triad traits and other game techniques work. I've made it work on my own wife (triggering attraction, and other attraction based behavior response) and neither of us have been anywhere near nor interested in the casual sex / hookup scene, ever. Due to that trial run success, it has become a set of techniques I've been slowly implementing for over a year now to improve our marriage.

So the real point is, we are all attracted to these dark triad traits. Politicians are successful in implementing it in a non-overtly sexual way.

There are several conclusions that I have come to with this experience...
Ideologically, this shows that power should never be concentrated, but rather it is important that the system is designed to suppress these behaviors. Since this attraction are innate in all humans, therefore it can't be avoided by direct democracy. Democracy will in fact, select for it. Only strict constitutional limits can prevent or slow the behavior selection.
Or as Hayek describes pragmatically, concentrated power attracts the wrong kind of people. So even if gov't power starts with good people, the wrong people will supplant the ones with good intentions. The good intentioned naturally lack the desire to RULE and will be supplanted by those who do desire it.

Similarly, the old rules of marriage & sexuality were designed to have the same effect on controlling the self destructive behavior of animalist female and male tendencies. This control has been destroyed by modern culture, yielding 40-50% divorce rates, and >50% new births out of wedlock. This in turn yields more of the same feral behavior, while causing lasting damage to children, adults, and society.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
I score in the top 1/2of 1% on the psychopathy scale.

i never saw you at the meetings?  what you sit in the back? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:37:36 AM »

Ted Bundy. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:32:13 AM »
Ted was charming.  He was also an anomaly.

I guess you threw him in to show that the exception proves the rule?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »
So wait.

Science tells us that amoral individuals with a heightened sense of self-worth and a knack towards manipulating others are good at manipulating others?

Really? Did we need science for that?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-tunes-in-to-see-which-sociopath-more-likabl,29946/

According to polls, viewer consensus following the first debate suggested Mitt Romney had performed a far more convincing impersonation of someone with real feelings and a capacity for human compassion. Voters praised the former governor’s ability to conceal his complete social disconnection and underlying hostility behind a wall of colloquial rhetoric and an approximation of warmth they described as “much more realistic” than Obama’s.

=D

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 01:41:44 AM »
the last time I bought a copy of S.A I thought I had picked up a glossy copy of the Nation.
IDK if it was so left leaning in the old days and I didn't notice- but you can get the same schlock from daily kos...
I gave up on even reading scientific American a couple yrs ago.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
the last time I bought a copy of S.A I thought I had picked up a glossy copy of the Nation.
IDK if it was so left leaning in the old days and I didn't notice- but you can get the same schlock from daily kos...
I gave up on even reading scientific American a couple yrs ago.

It's changed, you've changed.

(Speaking of changed, I just saw that Newsweak is going web only, sometime soon.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
It's changed, you've changed.

(Speaking of changed, I just saw that Newspeak is going web only, sometime soon.)

Fixed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner