Author Topic: High Speed, Low Drag  (Read 1601 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
High Speed, Low Drag
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:57:05 AM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: High Speed, Low Drag
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:04:55 AM »
Ah, they seem like they were simply blowing off steam.
Why cant ABC news say anything about fast and furious?

Maybe if Afghanistan had better strip clubs then this stuff wouldn't happen.
Or maybe they need better sattelite TV?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:07:52 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
If they get any rowdier, they can apply to the Secret Service when they get back home.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »
Ahhh, see those contractors were just like the contractors we used in Libya....

(I bet that's why this story hit now...)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
Tangential:When beloved troops become bloodthirsty mercernaries

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/10/18/when-beloved-troops-become-bloodthirsty-mercenaries/

These are the same men who are supposedly loved by the vast majority of Americans when they're in uniform - just look at Gawker's own coverage of the recent SEAL hostage rescue in Somalia. Unfortunately, they're pitied once they have taken off that uniform... and they're looked at with suspicion bordering on disgust when they take a job with a PMC.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
So some foppish newscaster is appalled that men who chose a career path because they enjoy breaking stuff and killing bad people also don't conform to normal social boundaries in their free time?

Shocking!

To paraphrase some guy who said something famous: "we all get to sleep comfortably at night because there are rough men willing to do our dirty work."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
do they have "free time" over there?  or are they on call and responsible for protecting others? it seems even mr special k isn't simpatico with your view
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
do they have "free time" over there?  or are they on call and responsible for protecting others? it seems even mr special k isn't simpatico with your view

Depends on the job. When I was off duty and someone shot at the base, I went to a bunker and continued my sleepy time in there, I didn't have anything to do really short of an enemy wave storming over the wire (which isn't damned likely to happen in Bagram). When I was on duty in the S2 shop and someone shot at the base, I got to put on body armor and keep working while everyone else went to the bunker and got to enjoy nap time.

Just because a couple of the guys were getting shitfaced doesn't mean there was a guard tower somewhere unmanned. As for Medic K, yeeaah, I'd say that's a bit more over the line than a couple guys cutting loose on their time.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
at least medic is owning up.  its both smart and the honorable thing to do

did no one else learn from nixon, abu gharib and a thousand other instances that you never ever record the things you do?  nor allow other to? hmmm that reminds me i gotta make sure my next door neighbor from 79 is really dead
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
Tangential:When beloved troops become bloodthirsty mercernaries

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/10/18/when-beloved-troops-become-bloodthirsty-mercenaries/

Had I not already committed to a previous engagement, I would have jumped at that opportunity.  Future Missus roo_ster's very tiny foot made clear that I made quite enough $$$$/year at my job and there was no need to risk mking her a widow fro only 3x$$$$/year.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton