Author Topic: Upheaval at work  (Read 2941 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Upheaval at work
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:28:33 PM »
So, we had an "All Hands" meeting on Thursday.  The CEO of the division we're being re-org'd into came and basically said, if we don't win something big by the end of the 1st quarter of 2007 there will be significant layoffs.  Quite possibly as much as 1/3 of our unit.

My boss approached me with option that would keep me on a non-overhead charge number for a solid year.  The catch is, I'd have to transfer out of his group and start doing something that is 180 degrees from my current job.  I really, really like my boss.  He's one of those once in a career type bosses.  Not a single pointy hair on the man.  The boss in the other area seems like a decent guy, but until you work for a guy you can never really tell.

My current job is structural analysis.  Highly technical, lots of detail work.  It's a job that few are good at and even fewer enjoy well enough to stick with.  If I wanted to, I could probably get a another analysis job at any of 3 or 4 other companies in this area at a equivalent or better salary.  And that's not counting contracting/consulting gigs.

The offered position is Launch Vehicle Integration (I work for a company that makes satellites).  It is not a technical job.  It is more like program management than anything else.  Making sense out of chaos rather than solving specific problems.  Not sure what would happen to my compensation at this point.  Slight chance of a minor raise, but most likely I'd stay flat but the possibility of a pay cut is not zero.

I have enough work to keep me busy through about mid-February.  After that it's anyone's guess at this point.  But by then there's not likely to be work for more than 5 or so of the 9 analysts in the group if something doesn't come along by then, and there's no promise that I'd be one of the guys that got whatever work was still available.

The other aspect to all this is that I have to make a decision on this by Tuesday at the latest (I was only told of the option this past Thursday).  The guy that is the current LVI for that particular program is voluntarially changing to another job at the first of the year.  His boss has to replace him, and must do so from within (hiring freeze).  If I say no he has to look elsewhere and can't afford to wait.

So, I'd just like to hear what you all would probably do if you were in my situation?  Honestly I'm leaning towards taking it and using the time to see what else is out there.  However, I have to commit to the job for a year.  Leaving before the bird launches would be seriously bad form.  Also, I've only been at the current company for 2 years.  For my last job, I was there for 3.5 years.  If I decided to leave now I'd be at greater risk of being labled a job hopper.  Getting laid off is one things, but choosing to leave after such a short period of time has its risks.
Formerly sumpnz

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Upheaval at work
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »
You enjoy your current job, right?  You sincerely believe that you could find similar work for another company in your area, right?

Seems to me you oughta stick it out in your current position and hope for the best.  Maybe you'll get lucky.  If not, you can always get a job with one of the other companies.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:55:02 PM »
Yes, I do enjoy my current job.  At least well enough to stick with it.

The other aspect I probably should have mentioned is that there is some value to the experience I'd gain from the LVI job.  It's not directly applicable to my current job, but it stands the chance of giving me a leg up to get into more of a management type of a ladder after spending that year on that job.  While I'm not 100% certain that I'd want a management track position after this, there is something to be said for having that kind of experience.  Especially since they came to me with this position.  I had not solicited it at all.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »
Given those options, I'd be very inclined to take the job where I could be on overhead for a year, if only to use the time to find something else.

I've been in situations like that with government contractors. NOT FUN.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:06:57 AM »
i'm a coward when it comes to employement, i'd take the 12 months of work.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 05:00:55 AM »
A bird in the hand is better that two in the bush.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 05:10:36 AM »
I'd take the new position.  It gives you opportunity to put another bullet point on the resume and it keeps you employed.

Chris

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:24:38 AM »
I've found that when you're recruited, it's kind of bad form not to accept. It means "somebody" has their eye on you and is sufficiently impressed to ask you to do a new job. Guaranteed coverage for a year is nice, and as Mike suggested, it would at least relieve the time pressure from a new job search. You didn't mention what the prospects are for "something coming along" but you didn't sound real hopeful in that regard.

I'd view this as an opportunity, myself. Good luck.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
Ok, my work upheaval is NOTHING compared to what you're going through, smupnz.  Thanks for the big dose of perspective.  I've been needing it.
Experiment with a chemist!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:30 AM »
Ok, my work upheaval is NOTHING compared to what you're going through, smupnz.  Thanks for the big dose of perspective.  I've been needing it.
Pretty common scenario for govt contracting.  It's one of the reasons I chuckle whenever someone talks about job stability in the govt contracting field.  The project I've been on for the past 6.5 years has gone through 2-3 layoff cycles. 

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 08:25:45 AM »
Folks who think that gov't contracting is stable and secure oughtfamiliarize themselves with the term "missile gypsy."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Stay put. 
Buys you points with the current manager, chips which you can call in later if it DOES go south.

Opportunities in what you enjoy are still there in 6 mos. IF it goes south

LVI gives you something you're not even sure you want (potential for a mgmt career path).

Great bosses don't come along every day.
Stay put.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »
Well, it turns out I'm in competition with at least one other guy.  I'm supposed to find out who got in a couple days.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
No word yet on who is going to get the job, but I did go and talk to the program manager that I'd be dealing with.  He was a little suprised that I had gone to talk to him since he didn't even know that I was one of 2 or 3 people under consideration.  We spoke for 20 minuted or so, and I made my case for why I'd be a good choice.  He should be getting the recommendations from the head of Systems Engineering probably tomorrow and will likely make his decision either that day or the next. 

At this point I'd day that it's about 70/30 that I'll get it.  If I do I've decided to go ahead and take it and use that year to not only stay employed but start looking around at my options for after it's over.  I will have to commit myself to not leaving the job or the company until the bird launches, but after that I'll hopefully have my choice to either return to analysis, stay in LVI, or maybe even move into something completely different.

If I'm wrong and they give it to another guy I'll have to evaluate my options.  If we win MSES II/B (support work for Goddard Space Flight Center) there'll probably be a substantial amount of work, but might require relocation for one or more guys in the group to Maryland.  If we don't win that I honestly don't see much in the way of other options that could possible come through before lay-offs were ordered.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 05:43:31 PM »
I was going to say you should talk to your current boss about it.  Don't be in a hurry to move because you think you should.  I took a 5 year detour after moving into a job I thought would be a neat thing, but I never really liked it.  It is difficult to excel at a job you don't enjoy.  I am back where I want to be now and happy.  Thankfully, I was able to stick with my company.  I have now have 10 years and 4 weeks vacation which is very very nice.  Smiley 

I am in a completely different industry though.  Our only connection is that we supply nitrogen for blanketing the shuttle launches in Florida.

Either way, you might want to dust off you resume and get the contact info on the other possible employers in the area.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 07:40:13 PM »
I have talked to my boss extensivly about it.  He recommended me for the job mostly as a way to keep me at the company so that when work picks up again he can recall me to the group.  Of course, he also thought I'd be good at that job and that the skills would be benificial whether or not I returned to analysis once we win some more contracts.  If work doesn't pick up by this time next year though we'll likely be closing our doors, making a recall to the group moot.

I've already been putting out feelers to see what else is out there, both in the area and in places where we have family and/or friends.  The resume is most certainly up to date.
Formerly sumpnz

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 05:53:49 AM »
Well, I had this scenario occur a few years ago and I regret it.  I was like you...I had a great boss but things were shifting and he was looking out for me.  They created a whole new department just for me.  Problem was that I was working for a dick and had ZERO direction.  I should have stuck it out with the old boss until he quit (a couple of months later) and then gone elsewhere.  Would've prevented 3 years of wasted career.

Greg

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 06:09:51 PM »
Well, they gave the job to another guy.  Admitidly he was vastly more qualified than I was, though I'm still sure I'd have done a good job.  Turns out he used to work at Cape Canaveral (the satallite will launch from there) and he has many years of experience doing the exact same job.  Once I found that out I knew my chances were about 0. 

Anyhow, an opportunity to work out at JPL for several months has risen from the ashes.  My boss thought that opportunity was dead in the water, but then he spoke with his counterpart there and she asked for resume's from anyone that was interested.  I'd remain employed at my current company, but would likely travel to work in Pasadena anywhere from 1-5 days per week. 

Won't for sure about this until mid-January at the earliest.  MSES is supposed to awarded around that same time.  If neither of those work out I'll probably have to look outside the company (and yes, I'll start that process before then). 
Formerly sumpnz

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »
Your boss threw you a life ring.  You missed it but not to worry.  Don't sit still, keep moving.  Assume nothing.  Start networking with your current boss and the one you missed out on.  Work the system for all its worth.  You have no obligations except to you.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 07:34:11 PM »
The JPL gig is not going anywhere, at least not for me anytime soon.  Turns out they want someone with lots of static stress experience, and while I have some, mostly I've been doing dynamic analyses so another guy who's been doing a lot of static stress work will get the first crack at going.  Short him having a meteor fall on his head I doubt I'll get to leapfrog him in the line.  And all that is assuming that it works out to send anyone to JPL at all.

In the mean time, I've started looking elsewhere.  Already gotten some good hits with one of them local.  I need to send an email to the guy that taught the class I just took at ASU since he works for another potentially good company. 

I know my boss would like to keep me, so if I do wind up leaving I'll make sure he knows that I'd go back to working for him if things picked up again.  But unless that MSES contract comes though with work for at least three guys I probably won't have a choice but to leave.
Formerly sumpnz

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »
You working on sattelites down in Chandler?

I did some IT stuff down at Orbital/Motorola when Iridium was a going concern.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 07:54:59 PM »
Nope.  Gilbert.  What used to be Spectrum Astro.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
Well, figured an update was in order.  I got an offer from Orbital Sciences, but I think I'm going to turn them down.

I also got an offer from Smiths Aerospace in Yakima, WA.  SWMBO has been agitating to move back to OR/WA for several years now, and though she'd prefer the west side of the mountains, I don't think I could take the rain.  So it's a good compromise.  Just a few more details to iron out and I'll probably accept their offer tomorrow. 

They make landing gear actuators among other hydraulic type of aerospace equipment.  They're actually being bought out by GE (kinda ironic since when I took the job at Spectrum Astro they were being bought out by GD) but that has plenty of signs of being a very, very good thing.

We're already starting to do some of the work necessary to get our house on the market here in Mesa.  Plenty of excitement in the family over the likelihood of our relocation up there.
Formerly sumpnz