Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time Change and Computers?  (Read 1625 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Daylight Savings Time Change and Computers?
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:11:22 AM »
So anyone who pays the least attention to any of my posts (I guess that's nobody Smiley  ) knows that two things I loathe are Daylight Savings Time and one of my "collateral" duties (which ends up sapping 50% of my time) at work of being the de-facto IT guy.

So today they both combined to bite me in the ass. Got a memo from DC regarding the potential for computer glitches linked to the change in Daylight Savings Time taking place this year. They specifically mentioned that any old win2K machines could be problematic, but other things could be affected as well. Got the infamous "more to follow" at the end of the email.

Anyone else heard of any potential glitches that could be caused by the DST change?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Daylight Savings Time Change and Computers?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:16:20 AM »
The only problem I've ever had was related to some PKI enabled VPNs that didn't change automagically.  Once you get more than 15min out of sync with the PKI (which is on a server that understands how to change), the process breaks.  My PCs and servers handle the change just fine.

Chris

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:48 AM »
change in Daylight Savings Time taking place this year

I must've had my head under a rock. What's this?
Hi.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:28:42 AM »
To save energy, and combat the eviliness of global warming, the date to change to DST has been moved up to March something.  About 5 weeks earlier in the spring and a week later in the fall.

Starts on second Sunday of March (instead of first Sun in April)

Ends on first Sunday in Nov (instead of last Sun in Oct.)

Starts: March 11

Ends: Nov. 4
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »
Hmm.  Suddenly I'm also wondering if something's different about this year.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:31:42 AM »
I must've had my head under a rock.

Can I borrow your rock? I might smack it on top of my head a few times as well....  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
To save energy, and combat the eviliness of global warming, the date to change to DST has been moved up to March something.  About 5 weeks earlier in the spring and a week later in the fall.
Starts on second Sunday of March (instead of first Sun in April)
Ends on first Sunday in Nov (instead of last Sun in Oct.)
Starts: March 11
Ends: Nov. 4
Oh yeah, I heard something about the new timeframe.  I need to make sure we're ok for that.  If not, it won't be hard to do things manually.

Chris

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 06:17:45 AM »
If you're running windows XP, there's an update you can download from Windows Update that preps your computer for this. . . "enlightened"rolleyes change by our environmental overlords.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:38:54 AM »
George Bush's legacy...screwing up DST...why not just get rid of it altogether?  I really see no benefit but that's just my stupid opinion.

Greg

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:54:24 AM »
Since OSX automatically updates its clock from atomic clock timeservers based on your region, doesn't seem to be an issue for that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:59:30 AM »
You can set you PC to work off an automatic time server too. You can do this via windows time settings or this program, Automachron.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Terminals_and_Telnet_Clients/Automachron.html

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:00:42 AM »
Information on this issue direct from the Unicomplex: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx?#EBF
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
wimps
The product I work on HARD-CODED the time change (instead of pulling the date/time off the server)

yep, have to fix every single version out there (about 30 versions)  and patch them all out.
Brilliant eh??

Have people learned NOTHING from Y2K?
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
Big Blue has released some java patches and has a corrective fix available for AIX that takes care of it.

Trouble is, there are folks who aren't smart enough to RTFM when applying the fixes, let alone plan for change.  That's why I make an obscene amount of money. You should have seen the sturm and drang when .au went to the modified DST change earlier than the rest of the planet last year because of the Commonwealth Games. Much ado about nothing.

On my Winderz partition here at home, I'm going to let my atomic clock synch program handle anything that I don't take care of manually.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein