Author Topic: Disaster struck today.  (Read 725 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Disaster struck today.
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
You probably saw it on the news. Explosion leveled a convience store today in Ghent, WV; 4 dead, 5 critical. Two dead and one injured were firemen/EMTs from Ghent Volunteer Fire and EMS; My old squad. One of the dead and one injured were friends, one I didn't know. Things not looking good for the injured fireman, brain injury. Rumor is that one of the other injured has died.

Wife's dad (77yrs old) was on the first engine in. Lots of good friends involved.

On the bright side, I'm proud of my little town: Post Office, three convience stores and a dozen churches.Squads from all over the area have sent backup/emissary crews. The amount of food at the fire station was unbelievable. I asked where it all came from? "Everyplace: stores, restaurants, churches, private folks, everyplace. We've sent a bunch down to the church." For those of you not raised in old neighborhoods or small towns, food, flowers and visits are an outpouring of compassion, etc.,etc. Can't type, something in my eye........

Prayers please
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Lee

• friend
Re: Disaster struck today.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »
I just read about that.  I'm sorry for the losses you and your friends have suffered. Keep us posted if you need anything.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:20 AM »
Wow, propane IS the king of exploding fuel gases...

Sorry for your loss.  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SinkingFeeling

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:19:05 AM »
I am sorry for your loss.
Speechless.
James

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:28:02 AM »
Condolences on your friends. I can't think of a better hero role model for kids than what firefighters do each and every day. And propane tank explodey is bad.

I remember in S. Florida when I was little, a Midas muffler shop apparently had propane leaking all during the night, someone came in in the morning and turned on the light...  undecided

All that was left of the shop was some girders sticking up. They found muffler clamps and other things two miles away. I remember a window-rattling concussion, and neighbors running out in the street to see a huge mushroom cloud going up. Since this was in the 80's, that was a bit of cause for concern!