Author Topic: Military Surplus Stores  (Read 1327 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Military Surplus Stores
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
Howdy folks,

I've been going nuts lately from withdrawal due to not being able to get to the woods. My brain has compensated by going nuts with gear collecting/organizing. I love doing things the cheap way though, and therefore need some milsurp gear! Alas, we had a store near town calls Stuff's that was pretty good, but I drove out there and found it to be closed down for good. So...

Anyone know of a good milltary surplus store in the central Kentucky area? I'd be willing to make a drive to get there. I'd get stuff online, but I'm having trouble finding some things that are 'just right', and really prefer to get this stuff in person.

Thanks for any help!

-Spooky
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Re: Military Surplus Stores
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
Try the internet?  I know half the fun of surplus hunting is the ambience, but what can you do? 

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »
I've bought surplus gear over the internet, but there's just something about that musty old canvas smell when you walk into a surplus store that the internet can't replace.  grin

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:26:35 AM »
Haha, too true! I do love the dingy, dark aura in those places, plus no shipping costs. I guess I'll end up having to stick with the net. Oh well!
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:44:44 AM »
What amuses me most about those stores is when major designer stores literally COPY the goods you can find in the surplus stores.

For example, Banana Republic had an exact replica of a grey Swiss wool army coat, right down to the buttons with the Swiss cross on them. $495.

A REAL one, made better, was $25 at a surplus store.  grin

M-65 field jackets are also found as copies in mall stores, at over $200, but they're generally cheap cotton/poly from China and not actual ripstop material. It amuses me to no end. Can dress in the latest military-derived styles, for pennies on the dollar, with the real thing...which is made better than the copies!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:14:33 AM »
Spooky, how close do you live to Ft Campbell or Ft Knox.  Either on of those places should have a couple of surplus stores in the area.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
Ebay & similar sites have plenty of used, musty milsurp gear.  I was able to get a complete large ALICE rucksack (sack, frame, straps, etc) for ~$40 after all was said & done.  It arrived properly musty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:24 AM »
Yeah, but jfru, when you go into a whole store full of the stuff you get a lot of musty for free!  I do like going into those stores with a little bit of cash.  Very relaxing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fudgieghost

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:05:30 AM »
Reminds me of Bill Murray in "Stripes"---"chicks in Manhattan payin' top dollar for this stuff. . .!"

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
I know exactly what you mean about the 'designer' milsurp style stuff! I went with my sister to the mall and saw all the $X00 jackets, etc. Very funny! I wear an East German parka to school everyday and people thought I was wearing something pricey.

Wmenorr67, I'm in Fayette county, so it would be a bit of a drive. I might have to just make a day trip out of it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
Isn't US Calvary surplus based out of Fort Knox?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »
I wouldn't classify US Cav as surplus.  They do sell a lot of military items but it is far from surplus.  But to answer the question, they are based in the Ft. Knox area and the have a store that is right outside the main gate of Ft. Campbell.  And when I say right out the main gate, I mean that if you don't turn right or left coming out of the gate you will wind up in the parking lot.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!