Author Topic: All restrictions lifted...  (Read 1076 times)

Trisha

• friend
All restrictions lifted...
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »
Kathryn's three months out from back surgery.  Her neurosurgeon was very happy with her rapid recovery!  New bone is in place between the three vertebrae involved, and there are no complications.

All restrictions have been lifted - now it's up to occupational therapy to see her through to achieving the minimum 60 pound lift & twist requirement so that she can be cleared & return to running calls again.  The goal is to reach that in 6 weeks.  She's already back on the schedule as FTO for new EMT Basics.

Shoe chains are helping with traction and footing issues, as we've had 6 weeks of snow.

The doc did get a chuckle as Kathryn's first question was, "Does this mean I can go shooting again!?"

Just a follow-up, as seemed polite, given everything I posted the year past.
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: All restrictions lifted...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:22:22 AM »
 grin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
Great news!!!!!!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »
So far, she's comfortable with 15 pounds.  Waking up muscle groups and creating alignment and balanced posture that has never known sacral spine stability continues.

It would help if her knees were in any kind of shape to begin with, but she's hoping to get at least another couple of years out of them before the final scoping (after that, unless some wonderful new development sweeps in for patella and cartiledge replacement, it's knee replacements).

The atrial filter comes out in 4 months - all genetic markers came back negative.  She comes off coumidin in 3 months (not being able to take NSAIDS during this really is a pain).

We'll be looking to find and hang a heavy bag in the garage this spring, so that she can work on rebuilding at least basic one-step sparring at full strength.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »
Great news, Trisha!  We enjoyed having you and Kathryn as guests last September, and we were just wondering the other night how Kathryn was.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 09:01:58 AM »
Such good news!

Determination is something neither of you lack, so the recovery will be held back merely by the body's limitations I'm sure.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:45:46 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I was thinking about you and Kathryn the other day.
Don

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
Great news.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the good news! Glad to hear it and hear from you too!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
Doc:  "Okay, so other than that, what are your goals?  What to you plan on doing by, say, this summer/"
Kat:  "Cutting and splitting firewood, finishing up the walk from the garage to the house - just a couple days worth of pick and shovel work, being able to carry my end of the canoe and go fishing, stuf like that."
Doc:  "Sounds good, nothing too far out of the ordinary beyond the re-cert to get back to doing patient care in the field!  Just remember, you'll always have to be careful when doing any kind of shoveling-type load-carrying lever activities.  The L4-L5 disc is going to be doing a lot more than it's ever seen before.  Trust, me, I don't want to see you in here with that one ruptured from overexertion!"
Kat:  "I'll be careful - and she (evil eye & grin at me) will break out the duct tape if I get too ambitious."
Doc:  "Then if there's nothing else?"
Kat:  "Aside from pounding the occasional tweeker when they break soft restraints in the back of the rig - will it be okay for me to start working on a heavy bag; short punch-and-kick drills?"
Doc:  (blanches, swallows, looks her gamely in the eye, grins)  "I'd be happy if you'd give that at least another three months. . . (looks at physical therapists report, flips a page, looks up)  You've got a long way to go with core strength and hip stability. . ." (sees Kathryn smothering a laugh)
Kat:  "I'll be good."
Me:  (snort)  "That'll be the day!"

We go on!

Thanks!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »
Good news, good news all around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.