Author Topic: "You guys make a pretty good photo op"  (Read 2354 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"You guys make a pretty good photo op"
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/19/AR2009111900904_pf.html

SEOUL -- President Barack Obama will not announce his decision on sending more troops to Afghanistan before the Thanksgiving holiday, senior aides said on Thursday.

The news came as the president greeted 1,500 troops at Osan Air Base in South Korea, just before boarding Air Force One and heading back to Washington after an eight-day Asia trip.

Obama and his top military and diplomatic aides have been deliberating for months over how to proceed in Afghanistan, where the United States and its partners have sought for eight years to defeat the Taliban and deny al-Qaeda a safe haven from which it can plan and launch attacks.

Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has stated that without the deployment of up to 40,000 additional of troops within the next year, the mission "will likely result in failure." But some aides are arguing for a much smaller troop increase, and the U.S. ambassador in Kabul, Karl W. Eikenberry, has questioned whether the Afghan government can be a reliable partner.

Obama said in interviews Wednesday that he would reveal his decision within the next several weeks. On Thursday, aides clarified that there would be no announcement before Thanksgiving, one week away. Senior administration officials said Obama intends to meet with his national security team again before going public with his plans.

Obama did not mention the looming decision in his remarks to U.S. troops, referring to the Afghan conflict only by thanking South Korea for its efforts and expressing gratitude to the American soldiers who have served there.

But he did discuss the region in his meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak, whose government has is sending 150 civilian aid workers to Afghanistan.

Obama arrived on the base 3:19 p.m. local time (1 a.m. Eastern Standard Time), and received a rousing welcome from 1,500 troops in camouflage uniforms, many holding cameras or pointing cell phones to snap pictures.

"You guys make a pretty good photo op," the president said.

Standing on a riser wearing a blue suit and red tie, with a cluster of troops and a large American flag behind him, Obama expressed "the gratitude of the American public" and said his meetings in four countries over eight days in Asia will help deliver a "safer more prosperous world for all of us."

He got a huge cheer when he told them he was increasing military pay. "That's what you call an applause line," he said, before boarding his jet and taking off at 4:11 p.m.

???
What an @$$h0le.  He's so self centered and self aggrandizing, he makes Bill Clinton look humble.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: "You guys make a pretty good photo op"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »
I saw that article also on Drudge.  What strange thing to say at an event like that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
At least he's increasing pay.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
Ecce Homo.

The world's his backdrop, and we are just his extras.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
Well said, longeyes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »
were the cameras handed out again?

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Any soldier not seen snapping a photo or applauding will be waterboarded.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
At least he's increasing pay.

Everybody here increases pay. There were some good ones under Clinton if you forget the few times where we wondered if we would get paid and the time checks were actually late due to snippy little budget battles he had with Congress. Dems are good for military pay, all part of that "We support the troops" pandering. Going on to mean of course but we don't support the war those nasty republicans started and you poor dumb brutes are fighting in, not knowing why, doing crazy things like volunteering and re-upping and all. You poor children, here's a pay raise cookie. Every presidential appearance is a dog and pony show, Dick Cheney did the best one I've been at, said he wasn't going to talk long because he knew how long everyone had been standing there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I saw that article also on Drudge.  What strange thing to say at an event like that. 

Considering he starts a speach about the terrorist attack that killed a dozen soldiers by giving "shout outs" to his "homies" I'd say it's about par for the course.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.