Author Topic: Pilot missing after F/A18's collide over the Pacific  (Read 594 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Pilot missing after F/A18's collide over the Pacific
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
http://www.stripes.com/news/one-pilot-missing-one-stable-after-2-f-a-18-hornets-crash-in-pacific-1.302695

They were operating off the USS Carl Vinson. I hope they can find the missing pilot.  =(
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Pilot missing after F/A18's collide over the Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
The search continues. =(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
I'm surprised they haven't been able to locate his epirb (I believe that's the correct acronym) yet.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »
I'm surprised they haven't been able to locate his epirb (I believe that's the correct acronym) yet.

ELT (at least that is what it is called on the civil aviation side) Same thing basically as the EPIRB (typically denotes maritime usage). The military probably calls it something different yet. Civil aviation ones are activated either by g-force impact or if the pilot activates it, I think the military ones activate upon ejection (typically)

Remember though, it's no good at all if the device is at the bottom of the ocean, which is likely the case. Pilot probably never ejected, or the ejection was unsuccessful.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:30:15 AM »
ELT's are airplane equipment.  EPIRB's are personal equipment.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 03:15:29 AM »
IIRC, the locater beacon is located in the seat pan of the ejection seat so it stays with the pilot in case of ejection. Whether over land or over water once the pilot is separated from the seat, the seat pan stays with him. Usually if there is no beacon the outlook is very grim. I have searched thousands of square miles of ocean looking for an F14 crew following a distress call. They were pretty sure they ejected but they were never found.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »
All of my time on gray floatie thingies indicates if they didn't find them by now then no one will be found. It's a big ocean. I've been there when people fell overboard in broad daylight, with floatation, were immediately seen, and still went unrecovered because they drowned before the boat could get to them. Last F-18 that was lost from a ship I was on there was enough recovered wreckage to fill a 1 meter cube cardboard box, AKA tri-wall. Not much more from the S-3. Sucks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.