Author Topic: How American parenting is killing the American marriage  (Read 1032 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
How American parenting is killing the American marriage
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:02:46 PM »
Interesting read, although it's obviously limited to a certain set of socio-economic circles. Neither Cletus nor Laqueefa tends to fall into this category, although that emphatically does not make them better at either parenting or marriage. I've long said that the best thing you can do for your kids is making them the second priority behind your spouse. Not only does it help avoid special snowflake indigo child problems, it drastically reduces the likelihood of the horrifically traumatic event that is divorce.

http://qz.com/273255/how-american-parenting-is-killing-the-american-marriage/

There are doubtless benefits that come from elevating parenthood to the status of a religion, but there are obvious pitfalls as well. Parents who do not feel free to express their feelings honestly are less likely to resolve problems at home. Children who are raised to believe that they are the center of the universe have a tough time when their special status erodes as they approach adulthood. Most troubling of all, couples who live entirely child-centric lives can lose touch with one another to the point where they have nothing left to say to one another when the kids leave home.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grampster

• friend
Re: How American parenting is killing the American marriage
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
Around 20 years ago I had predicted that the divorce problem in America would change and there would be less of them.  My reasoning was that the huge number of kids who were traumatized by divorce would say to themselves that they would never want to put their kids through the same trauma.

I was apparently really, really wrong based on how many divorces still occur, the decline in people actually getting married, and the explosion of out of wedlock children and the destruction of the two parent household.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:03 AM »
most child abusers, and wife abusers, were raised in families where child abuse and spousal abuse were happening.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
Another reason that kids get more status and more attention is that most of them live now, and families are smaller. When you had 8 children, hoping that a half-dozen would survive to adolescence, then it was easier to avoid spoiling them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine