Author Topic: At least they're trying  (Read 2210 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
At least they're trying
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
A while back gunblogger Andrew Vuurwapen reviewed Battle Rifle Company's AR's. That review was titled "Pretty Much The Worst AR-15's I've Ever Seen." http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/05/04/pretty-much-the-worst-ar-15s-ive-ever-seen/

Much to their credit, BRC took his criticisms to heart and made a number of changes. Here's his review of the new and improved rifles.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/07/battle-rifle-company/

Some highlights...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: At least they're trying
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
Good to see they are (hopefully) using the failures as a tool for improving the product rather than launching into a self-righteous tirade of "he just doesn't like us!" I'm willing to cut folks like that a little slack. Time will tell if they can make it stick.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
Good to see they are (hopefully) using the failures as a tool for improving the product rather than launching into a self-righteous tirade of "he just doesn't like us!" I'm willing to cut folks like that a little slack. Time will tell if they can make it stick.

Considering how long ARs have been made by just about every company in the known universe, you really have to ask how they could possibly screw it up that badly, and why anyone would give them a second chance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
Considering how long ARs have been made by just about every company in the known universe, you really have to ask how they could possibly screw it up that badly, and why anyone would give them a second chance.

This.  The one and only AR I've owned was assembled by yours truly.  I didn't buy top shelf parts, but also didn't buy trash.  Gun ran perfectly the entire time I owned it, roughly 1500 rounds, before I sold it at the height of the first Obama scare in 2009.  I barely cleaned it, mainly just lubing the moving parts every few hundred rounds.

If a complete n00b can assemble one, why can't these bozos?

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »

When you buy crap parts and assemble them according to the drunken monkey assembly guide (see Century), well, this is what happens

Parts is not parts, despite the gunboard claims...

For cheap ARs done right, see Palmetto State Armory and Smith and Wesson.

For examples of cheap ARs done very wrong, Vulcan/Hesse, this company, Olympic, etc.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
All of the internal components are buffed, filed, polished or smoothed to make them fit perfectly.
:O :O
Bubba makes AR-15s now
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »

Brad

Anyone with a modicum of mechanical skills can order up a box full of quality parts and assemble a decent rifle. It takes a special kind of halfwit to not only screw it up, but market and sell them.

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
Anyone with a modicum of mechanical skills can order up a box full of quality parts and assemble a decent rifle. It takes a special kind of halfwit to not only screw it up, but market and sell them.

My gut feeling is that it's a matter of getting into the market at exactly the wrong time, and there's no way for them to have a sustainable margin with quality parts.

I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »

Meh.  It's not like he brought out some special equipment and unobtanium ammo.  They could have just gone out and fired 10k rounds themselves to find these problems, and fixed them quietly even before going to production.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »
Yes, they could have. But they willingly accepted an open and very public testing session instead. That speaks to their general mindset, something which I appreciate more than the success or failure of the product in this case.

Does the product need significant improvement for it to ultimately succeed? Absolutely. Improvements come from recognizing and correcting shortcomings. Their openness to change makes that a much greater probability. That's the kind of company mindset that can ultimately result in a superior product, not just a "competitive" one.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »
Yes, they could have. But they willingly accepted an open and very public testing session instead. That speaks to their general mindset, something which I appreciate more than the success or failure of the product in this case.

Does the product need significant improvement for it to ultimately succeed? Absolutely. Improvements come from recognizing and correcting shortcomings. Their openness to change makes that a much greater probability. That's the kind of company mindset that can ultimately result in a superior product, not just a "competitive" one.

Brad

I agree. I think they're falling victim to the wishful thinking/"it's good enough" mindset, and I do agree that some simple common sense QC/QA processes and production standards would have prevented this in the first place.

The good news is that they're willing to combat it. The problem is that in the AR glut market, they may not survive as a company if they keep on improving in drips and drabs like this.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »

The good news is that they're willing to combat it. The problem is that in the AR glut market, they may not survive as a company if they keep on improving in drips and drabs like this.

Agreed. They would do themselves a favor to implement a wholesale back-to-the-drawing-board revision. If they're perceptive they could also use it as the foundation of a PR effort.

Brad
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »
On a related note, Chris told me about a Marine sniper who had a problem with his issued rifle. None of the Marine armorers could fix it, so he was given permission by his commanding officer to buy a commercial rifle. The Marine bought a BR4 and was allowed to deploy with it. Chris told me that the sniper made “twenty or thirty kills” with the rifle. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/07/battle-rifle-company/#sthash.wets6g2L.dpuf

when you come out of the gate spewing bullshit along with using garbage parts and doing stupid stunts like a carbine handguard with a midlength gas system because "looks cool," don't be surprised when people don't think too serious of you.

. In a post on M4Carbine.net, the owner of Battle Rifle Company gave alternating explanations for their use of the wrong rail, from “people saying it looked cool” to unnamed federal agents wanting to use it because it “looked intimidating.” - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/07/battle-rifle-company-ar-platform-rifles/#sthash.7t89RtBK.dpuf
:rofl: :rofl:

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
when you come out of the gate spewing bullshit along with using garbage parts and doing stupid stunts like a carbine handguard with a midlength gas system because "looks cool," don't be surprised when people don't think too serious of you.
 :rofl: :rofl:

That kind of a lack of self-awareness to see how transparent your own bullshit is probably reflects on the culture that produced such flawed rifles in the first place.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
They ought to change their name to Bubba's AR Emporium and offer AR/ Taurus Judge packages..."We can only sell to you if your family tree is a broomstick"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Making a seriously flawed product (still) in a highly over-saturated market.   Helloooooo, Mr. Dodo-bird !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
I was thinking that Wideners still has Anderson AR rifle kits for sale.  That was another company that had QAQC problems that affected their brand at least from what I heard.

Of course, Wideners also has LRB M14's.  if I only has a couple grand to spare.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »
For examples of cheap ARs done very wrong, Vulcan/Hesse, this company, Olympic, etc.

I've owned an Olympic Arms AR-15 since 2000 or 2001. Hasn't missed a beat. IMHO there's nothing wrong with Olympic ARs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
I've owned an Olympic Arms AR-15 since 2000 or 2001. Hasn't missed a beat. IMHO there's nothing wrong with Olympic ARs.

Taken as a whole since SGW started Olympic their history is damn spotty. Especially their cast lowers and some really whacked stuff they built in the 80's when the got into the AR, and other out of spec stuff.

They did pioneer factory A3 flattops and free-float when that used to be a rather custom option.  I'll give them that.

That said,  as an AR parts ecosystem developed with lots of competent subcontractor parts mfg's and forgings,  Olympic improved greatly.

They'll never be a LaRue or Noveske, but these days Olympic is a solid middle of the road,  or perhaps decent end of the value end/bottom of the AR market and worth what you pay for them.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:21:44 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.