Author Topic: Time op-ed: Let's End Human Driving  (Read 4416 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Time op-ed: Let's End Human Driving
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
I suspect that as computer driving takes over, there is less need to own any of the "appliance" vehicles, for example camry, metro, cavalier, accord, etc. It will be much cheaper on a total owning and operating cost to order up the computer driven taxi as needed.

Still has some big drawbacks; primarily the inability to do simple things like leave stuff in the car that might be needed the next day.

Remember, the car also functions as a lockbox and privacy area for many people.  I've had a few jobs where I couldn't really leave anything at my desk and expect it to be there when I got back, and others where the only way to have a little privacy for a phone call was to go sit in your car.

Sharing also adds a - potentially long, depending on location - delay if you need a car unexpectedly.  Not a good thing when you find out your child or spouse is on the way to the ER.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
>Why?  They're the most likely to not be driving themselves to begin with!<

Because it's good for thee but not for me?

>I can just see the plot for Die Hard XII or maybe Speed 8.  Hacker terrorists (white, greedy Americans of course) have hacked the auto drive systems of millions of drivers across the country and are threatening to cause them all to crash.  <

"Better" plot: "ugly hacker finds the codes for Hottie McHotpants, and hacks her car to drive to a secluded location to rape/murder/subject her to Star Trek reruns"...
Star Trek rerun?!!?  That is just too cruel to think about.   :O :mad: :O
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
I suspect that as computer driving takes over, there is less need to own any of the "appliance" vehicles, for example camry, metro, cavalier, accord, etc. It will be much cheaper on a total owning and operating cost to order up the computer driven taxi as needed. No car = no taxes, no financing, no insurance, no tickets. These fixed costs get distributed to hundreds of passengers per day, which maximizes the capital utilization. The computer taxi companies will want to buy fuel efficient reliable appliance cars, either hybrid or all electric. Since the passenger no longer "owns" the vehicle, there will no longer be the psychological association of the vehicle being a fashion and personal statement.

People will continue to purchase for themselves the specialty vehicles: trucks, sportscars, vans for road trips, and expensive luxury cars to show off wealth doesn't need to save money using cheap computer driven taxis. We might now be living in the golden age of sedan design, power (V6 Camry makes 268hp!) and variability. But as that gives way to computer driven taxis that cost a couple bucks per trip across town (right to your CC, Google Wallet, or Bitcoin Wallet) the specialty vehicles will get more extravagant. Bigger more luxurious trucks with bigger engines and more design choices, more musclecars with crazier performance, and more bling to the luxury sedan.
You might see that in the city more.  Poeple are already buying essentially generic small cars. 

I would be curious if all the auto-drive stuff is in the car or is infrastructure is needed on the road itself.  That would limit application to high density areas.  Also, I can almost see that eventually non-autodrive cars and classic cars would not be allowed in some areas. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »

NEVER get into a cab driven by an Emergency Medical Hologram with delusions of grandeur.

Star Trek rerun?!!?  That is just too cruel to think about. 

Especially if its season 1 & 2 of ST:TNG

I think it would be...acceptable... on limited access roadways such as the high occupancy stretches that run on I-25 north of the Denver metro area.  Known route, no on/offs, that sort of thing.   
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
You might see that in the city more.  Poeple are already buying essentially generic small cars. 

I would be curious if all the auto-drive stuff is in the car or is infrastructure is needed on the road itself.  That would limit application to high density areas.  Also, I can almost see that eventually non-autodrive cars and classic cars would not be allowed in some areas. 

I agree the deep rural areas will always need personal vehicles. Waiting 30mins every time for the autodrive to show up from wherever it was last used would be unacceptable. But most suburbs and cities would have transport ready in ~5mins. This would cover ~90% of the population. The rural folks will want to have their own pickups, whether they need it or not, but to fit in with the local culture and fashion.

The auto-drive must be independent car based. Gen2 should have ad-hoc networks with the other cars so that they can maximize speed and vehicle flow.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
The auto-drive must be independent car based.

It would have to be; what government would want the liability when they can no longer blame the driver for not accounting for blind corners, washed out roads, etc.?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
The rural folks will want to have their own pickups, whether they need it or not, but to fit in with the local culture and fashion.

Yeah I'm sure one of those automated cars would work just fine for feeding cows or going up in the woods to cut firewood  :facepalm:

You can have my steering wheel when you pry it out of my cold dead hands  [ar15]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin