Author Topic: ouch  (Read 5925 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
ouch
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »
He came, he saw, he spent
By Henry Payne / The Michigan View

In the latest stop on his “Recovery Summer” tour, rock star President Barack Obama landed in Holland, Michigan Thursday, insulted its congressman, handed American stimulus dollars to a Korean corporation, and proclaimed Obamanomics a success even as Michigan has lost 94,000 jobs since his Recovery Act was enacted.

All in all, another day in the life of an increasingly unpopular president who seems to be living in an alternative universe.

That universe insists that government is the source of jobs, and so Obama was in Western Michigan to declare another victory in Washington’s mission to create a new green economy.

Advertisement
AdTech Ad

But the green economy looks like a lot of green for the well-connected. The president handed $150 million in stimulus money over to Korean CEO Peter Bahnsuk Kim of LG Chem. LG Chem is an $11 billion Korean conglomerate that hardly seems a candidate for the American Recovery Act. No wonder the program is so unpopular.

Accompanying Obama was Governor Jennifer Granholm - Obama praised her as “one of the best governors in America” even as she presides over the nation’s second highest unemployment rate – who has been complaining that Washington Republicans are denying her the $500 million in stimulus money she needs to plug Michigan’s Medicaid budget hole. So here she was in West Michigan celebrating $150 million for Corporate Korea. Huh?

Obama said his benevolence would create 300 jobs in Holland – but that’s $500,000 per job. At least it’s a bargain compared to the $ $1.25 million per job Obama spent on two solar companies in Arizona over the July 4 weekend.

The president cheered that LG Chem batteries will go into GM’s electric plug-in Chevy Volt "so when you buy one of these vehicles, it will be stamped 'Made in America.’” But precious few Americans will buy the $40,000 Volt (that’s BMW 3-series sticker territory) as they are targeted at well-healed consumers making over $100,00 a year in places Silicon Valley.

West Michigan is suffering 12 percent unemployment yet President “Audacity of Hope” had the audacity to suggest that the stimulus “efforts we took we are no longer bleeding jobs." In fact, since his $1 trillion Recovery Act was passed a year ago, Michigan has lost nearly 100,000 jobs.

Obama couldn’t even get his manners right. Ever the partisan, he took a shot at his host, Holland Congressional representative Pete Hoekstra who was in the audience. Despite opposing the Recovery Act, Hoekstra attended the ground-breaking ceremony, he told The View, “out of respect for the office of president.”

The respect was not returned. "Some made the political calculation that it's better to obstruct than to lend a hand,” sneered Obama at the end of his remarks. “Now that doesn't stop them from being at ribbon cuttings, but that's OK."

And then the president jumped in his 10 mpg Caddy limo and headed to the next stop on his tour to transform what Americans drive.

Henry Payne is editor of The Michigan View
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: ouch
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
Oh, snap!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Yeah, I read this earlier today and got a good chuckle. Also nicely pointed out dichotomy between the Congressman's statement and Obama's.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
The respect was not returned. "Some made the political calculation that it's better to obstruct than to lend a hand,” sneered Obama at the end of his remarks. “Now that doesn't stop them from being at ribbon cuttings, but that's OK."

Wow, what a scumbag.

As an aside, though - what sort of newspaper is this?  The editor needs some sentence-construction help:
President “Audacity of Hope” had the audacity to suggest that the stimulus “efforts we took we are no longer bleeding jobs."
While the above is technically complete, I don't believe that the author meant to say that stimulus efforts are not bleeding jobs.

Also, "well-healed"?

Sorry, but that kind of thing in full-time professional journalism bothers me.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
In the latest stop on his “Recovery Summer” tour, rock star President Barack Obama landed in Holland, Michigan Thursday, insulted its congressman, handed American stimulus dollars to a Korean corporation, and proclaimed Obamanomics a success even as Michigan has lost 94,000 jobs since his Recovery Act was enacted.

and so Obama was in Western Michigan to declare another victory in Washington’s mission to create a new green economy.

That reads like something out of Atlas Shrugged.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »
Washington Republicans are denying her the $500 million in stimulus money she needs to plug Michigan’s Medicaid budget hole.

She got that all wrong, IT'S GEORGE W. BUSH'S FAULT!!! 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
And then the president jumped in his 10 mpg Caddy limo and headed to the next stop on his tour to transform what Americans drive.

I doubt it gets anywhere near that - probably more like 2-3mpg  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
I doubt it gets anywhere near that - probably more like 2-3mpg  ;/

Given that a POTUS was assassinated in a car, and another almost when getting into the vehicle, the various other threats, etc...

I don't mind him getting an armored vehicle.  Heck, if putting him in an 'ecologically sound' vehicle caused the SS to put an additional agent or two on his detail, it'd swamp any gains.

As for getting a limo, what would you suggest?  He has to be able to fit his driver, guards, wife, and guests in there.  Call it a minimum of 6 people?  (Pres, Driver, 2-3 guards, football carrier, etc...)

Don't forget the comm equipment and such. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
Given that a POTUS was assassinated in a car, and another almost when getting into the vehicle, the various other threats, etc...

I don't mind him getting an armored vehicle.  Heck, if putting him in an 'ecologically sound' vehicle caused the SS to put an additional agent or two on his detail, it'd swamp any gains.

As for getting a limo, what would you suggest?  He has to be able to fit his driver, guards, wife, and guests in there.  Call it a minimum of 6 people?  (Pres, Driver, 2-3 guards, football carrier, etc...)

Don't forget the comm equipment and such. 

Why not just have him ride in an armored motorhome, then...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »

Well, think about the image.  If the President were to roll around in a Brinks-style armored car(short straight truck, single axle, dual 22.5s) it would give me two distinct impressions: that he is full of himself(think the reaction when you see one of those ridiculous International MXT "pickup" trucks), and that he is quite afraid of an attempt on his life.

If he is driven around in a stretched Cadillac, no matter how much has been done "under the skin" to make it safer, he looks a great deal more Presidential.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »
Teehee. I like that. Linkie?

Also, I have issue with PotUS driving an up-armor limo. Whatever else you want to say about the gig, it really does warrant increased security.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
Obama couldn’t even get his manners right. Ever the partisan, he took a shot at his host, Holland Congressional representative Pete Hoekstra who was in the audience. Despite opposing the Recovery Act, Hoekstra attended the ground-breaking ceremony, he told The View, “out of respect for the office of president.”

What a pompous ass.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »

That's actually cheaper than an MRAP. Surprising.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »

Takes a lot to contain that much smug....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »
That's actually cheaper than an MRAP. Surprising.

Chances are most of that is BS/misinformation.  The Secret Service doesn't give out details regarding the armor, tech, and weapon systems of Presidential vehicles.  Sure it's probably close, but stating that is contains pump action shotguns is a little too specific for the Secret Service.  Paranoia is in their blood.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »

EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle
http://iknowtheledge.com/technology/em-50-urban-assault-vehicle-vs-cadillac-one

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 06:10:14 PM »
Accompanying Obama was Governor Jennifer Granholm - Obama praised her as “one of the best governors in America”

[barf]
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
Chances are most of that is BS/misinformation.  The Secret Service doesn't give out details regarding the armor, tech, and weapon systems of Presidential vehicles.  Sure it's probably close, but stating that is contains pump action shotguns is a little too specific for the Secret Service.  Paranoia is in their blood.

Something like that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
Chances are most of that is BS/misinformation. 
You mean the driver's window doesn't open a little so he can pay tolls??
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
You mean the driver's window doesn't open a little so he can pay tolls??

No. It opens all the way for when they go through the drive-through at McDonalds.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
No. It opens all the way for when they go through the drive-through at McDonalds.
I think that was Bill's limo....

Personally, I think the over secureness of the President and his way of life lends to a ruler mentality.  If a President actually feared for his personal safety on a daily basis, they might choose thier actions and words more carefully.  Kings and Dictators are protected and segregated from the unwashed masses.  A President should be one of the unwashed mass. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
I think that was Bill's limo....

Personally, I think the over secureness of the President and his way of life lends to a ruler mentality.  If a President actually feared for his personal safety on a daily basis, they might choose thier actions and words more carefully.  Kings and Dictators are protected and segregated from the unwashed masses.  A President should be one of the unwashed mass. 

I agree with your argument on principle, however I have to disagree on practicality.  Understand what I am about to say is *purely* for the sake of argument:
The President's limo would be little in the way of protection against a legitimate armed popular rebellion - which is the only thing an American President should need fear.  On the other hand, it offers great deterrence to the kind of threat which is sadly much more likely these days: a single wacko with a belt made of C4 or a .308.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the President should fear the people, but he should not fear ONE person.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
I guess what I'm getting at is that the President should fear the people, but he should not fear ONE person.

I think that's a good way of putting it.

We all take precautions commensurate with risk; if we live in an area with high crime potential, we make sure our doors are strong and our locks are secure.

The office of President is one that is, by its nature, a magnet for the attentions of some real whackjobs.  For instance, President Reagan was very nearly assassinated by for the Deep Political Agenda of "impressing Jodie Foster"; it wasn't a political motivation based upon the man's policies that had made Hinckley so irate that he decided to take such a drastic step.

So because the office has significant risk associated with it, entirely aside from what the policies of the man currently occupying it are, the Secret Service makes sure that the doors are strong and the locks are secure.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
I agree with your argument on principle, however I have to disagree on practicality.  Understand what I am about to say is *purely* for the sake of argument:
The President's limo would be little in the way of protection against a legitimate armed popular rebellion - which is the only thing an American President should need fear.  On the other hand, it offers great deterrence to the kind of threat which is sadly much more likely these days: a single wacko with a belt made of C4 or a .308.

Damn good point.  However, I think that the level of protective paranoia revolving around the President utterly removes him from any link to the people.  Makes it very easy to isolate oneself from the woes of the masses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”