Author Topic: Well. Why not blame it on bloggers? They are just voicing opinions  (Read 4438 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
This is interesting. Yearly LE deaths always go up and down, as with any job. But this article just smells of "It's all due to no respect for LE". Even the article noted that half the deaths were traffic related, then put a spotlight on bloggers. I guess bloggers need to just stay away from anything LE, well, positive things are ok.

U.S.
Police Fatalities Surge 43 Percent in 2010
Jul 21, 2010 9:55 AM EDT
WASHINGTON - The number of U.S. police officers who died in the line of duty is up 43 percent so far this year, according to an organization that honors fallen law enforcement officials.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund says that if the trend continues, 2010 could become one of the deadliest years for U.S. police agencies in two decades.

The fund was to release preliminary data Wednesday showing that 87 officers died in the line of duty between Jan. 1 and June 30. That's up sharply from 61 officers killed during the first six months of last year.

The 2010 deaths were spread across 36 states and Puerto Rico, with California, Texas and Florida showing the most fatalities. Other states on the list included Maryland, where a state trooper was fatally shot June 11, and Virginia. Five officers working for federal agencies also died in various states.

Firearm and traffic deaths jumped in the last six months, compared with the same period in 2009.

Last year, overall officer fatalities had reached their lowest level in five decades.

"We were hoping to see those numbers continue to go down," said Kevin P. Morison, a fund spokesman. "It points to the dangers officers continue to face."

Almost half the deaths came from car and motorcycle crashes and officers being hit outside their vehicles. Five officers who were struck on the road died during a three-week period last month in California, Massachusetts and New Jersey.

Of the 31 officers killed by gunfire, six died in "cluster killings" - three separate shootings that targeted multiple officers.

Eugene O'Donnell, professor of police studies at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said the number of officer fatalities fluctuates from year to year. However, he said he has noticed an "alarming frequency" of people targeting police.

"There has been a spate of particularly brutal and senseless attacks on the police," said O'Donnell, a former police officer and prosecutor in New York. "It seems to me, an unprecedented level of disrespect and willingness to challenge police officers all over the place."

He said a rise in mental health problems and scathing criticism of police, such as the comments found on some blogs, could be fueling the brazenness and disregard for authority.

John Firman, director of research at the Alexandria, Va.-based International Association of Chiefs of Police, said his group is working to reduce rampant gun violence to which officers find themselves responding.

In addition, the association is working with the memorial fund, the FBI and other groups to create a Center for the Prevention of Violence Against Police to study the issue in depth. "We think this is awfully urgent," Firman said.

The memorial fund released the report with Concerns of Police Survivors Inc., a group that helps families of fallen officers. The fund adds the names of officers killed in the line of duty to its monument in Washington.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"It seems to me, an unprecedented level of disrespect and willingness to challenge police officers all over the place."

He said a rise in mental health problems and scathing criticism of police, such as the comments found on some blogs, could be fueling the brazenness and disregard for authority.

We can't have challenges to authority happening, out there.

Better get another order in with Tazer.

=|

In addition, the association is working with the memorial fund, the FBI and other groups to create a Center for the Prevention of Violence Against Police to study the issue in depth. "We think this is awfully urgent," Firman said.

Here is the roots of the police state, and the further tightening of the 1st amendment.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

alex_trebek

• friend
1. State legislatures spend money like a drunk ten year old in a candy store for the better part of a decade.
2. Recession inevitably comes, exacerbating said budget problems.
3. Instead of fixing root cause, said governments decide to enforce traffic laws more stringently.
4. Police officer traffic fatalities increase.
5. Now governments get to spend money on widow pension funds. Brillant.
6. Blame the people.

Why is this a surprise?

To keep things in perspective, this country probably has enough operable vehicles to match the adult population. This equates to hundreds of millions of cars on the road.

Yet only 87 officers havebeen killed. The trend is bad, but overall numbers aren't horrible.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Almost half the deaths came from car and motorcycle crashes and officers being hit outside their vehicles.

I can't count the number of times I see cops pulling people over in stupid places, especially when there are much, much safer locations  within a mile up the road to pull over and be well clear of traffic.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
i thought accidents were always a big percentage of fatalities
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
i thought accidents were always a big percentage of fatalities

But if we can skew THIS year's statistics and blame the police deaths on Tea Party bloggers, then we can protect incumbent positions in government.

=(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ned Hamford

• friend
I can't count the number of times I see cops pulling people over in stupid places, especially when there are much, much safer locations  within a mile up the road to pull over and be well clear of traffic.

I can recall being pulled over once and taking an extra hundred yards to park in an area safe for the officer to then get a lecture about how I am supposed to pull over immediately.  I think my wide eyed innocence and concern expressed about doing it for the officers safety might have gotten me out of that ticket.  Or you know, my brother being a cop in the same dept. and us sharing the same last name.   :police:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
Peelian Principals

I'll try to post more later tonight on my beliefs about LE today and possible solutions to bring back public support. Right now I'm in Paso Robles CA, sitting on a production rig near San Ardo. So Internet access is, well, spotty at best.

Below are principles that IMO today's LE are not even close to following. The more militant LE gets (and today's LE view them selves as a 5th branch of the military, IMO) the greater the divide between the public and LE will grow. And the anger from the public will just get worse to a point that I hope I won't see in my life. But we are getting that lit match just a litter closer to that stick of dynamite.

Principles. ( I had read them and lived by them as a cop in the Army and as a civillian wearing a badge). I came across them again courtesy of Tams blog the other day.

1.  The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.

2.  The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon the public approval of police actions.

3.  Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observation of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.

5.  Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

6.  Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice, and warning is found to be insufficient.

7.Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8.  Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions, and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

9.  The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.[2]

If LE today would adopt these principles, the divide would start to heal.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:30:25 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
On #1, I don't really think crime "prevention" is a the main police function.  It may be a result of their actions.  They are there to react to crimes in progress, investigate crimes that already happened, catch criminals, and gather evidence for prosecution.  IMO, prevention is one end result of getting criminals off the streets, but it is not really the main function. 

#9 is dead on. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If police do not function as a deterrent, then what is the point?  =|

Punishing evildoers after the fact does little or nothing for the victims. :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
Re: Well. Why not blame it on bloggers? They are just voicing opinions
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »
The death penalty does not deter murderers. If police acted with these principles, deterence would follow to some extent. But deterence absolute deterence will never happen. Humanity as it is, some folks just don't give a crap, no matter what the penalty.

Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
Blogging to the death penalty in ten replies ...  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
Just citing an example. Not wanting to argue the death penalty. We probably won't agree on this so let's not go there. Most LE won't agree with the principles because it goes against the "respect my authority" bs that is taught.

From above: 
1.  The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:12:49 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »

Abraham Lincoln

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
Most LEO's would benefit from practicing the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than you catch with vinegar"...

VERBAL JUDO was developed by an LEO primarily for LEO's to do just that...I've used it in the juvenile justice and mental health fields...it works...and it keeps the use of force and OC spray bills down, too...  =D

http://www.verbaljudo.com/

Remember when LEO's were called "PEACE Officers"?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
Remember when LEO's were called "PEACE Officers

Yep. Sure do.

Damn few "Peace Officers" out there now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:11:01 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »

Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Cop hater.   ;)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
"Peace Officer" supporter, [popcorn]

Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
If police do not function as a deterrent, then what is the point?  =|

Punishing evildoers after the fact does little or nothing for the victims. :(
1.  The simple act of catching criminals and insuring that crime has bad consequences is a deterrent.  When people think they can get away with it without consequence or even prosper, they are more likely to do it the first time and keep it up.  Considering how much crime is done by repeat offenders should show how important it is to catch them and prosecute them properly.  

2.  Punishing criminals through our criminal justice system is what we do for the victims.  We do that as much to deter other criminals as to prevent revenge and vigilante justice.  If victims or victim's relatives see that justice is done, they are less likely to have thoughts to taking it into their own hands.  The US has a long and storied history of vigilante justice both organized and disorganized from what little I have seen.  

3.  Crime prevention beyond that can be important, but since our justice system is supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty", there are limits to what can be done beyond # 1 and #2. 

Whatever problems we have with police, I think the politicians who set the rules and laws they work by are most to blame than the officers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:42:55 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
If the police do a really good job then they have nothing left to do  ;)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:14 PM »
If the police do a really good job then they have nothing left to do

Isn't that a good thing, sort of the point here.

Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Isn't that a good thing, sort of the point here.

Not from the viewpoint of police, who generally base their "productivity" on arrests/convictions.  =(

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 04:16:09 AM »
I don't what LE bases productivity on. They are "civil servants". They need act like it. Convictions are not part of their mandate. That is for the courts

9.  The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.[2]

Abraham Lincoln