Author Topic: Obama McCain Numbers  (Read 2905 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Obama McCain Numbers
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »
I got several of these sent to my email.  Interesting if true.  Too lazy and apathetic at the moment to follow up myself.  I think it would be interesting to run those equations for every election... see if there are any trends I'd expect to see.

Professor Joseph Olson of  Hamline   University   School  of Law in  St. Paul  ,  Minnesota  , points out some interesting facts concerning last November's Presidential election:
Number of States won by:      Obama: 19           McCain: 29
Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000    McCain: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million McCain: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:  Obama: 13.2    McCain: 2.1 
Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory McCain won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.
Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low income tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the  United States  is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Obama McCain Numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
Utterly and absolutely false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/athenian.asp

Note, the snopes site is for Bush Vs. Gore.  And the numbers are exactly the same.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
Here's wikipedia, for what its worth:

Nominee    Barack Obama    John McCain
Party    Democratic    Republican
Home state    Illinois    Arizona
Running mate    Joe Biden    Sarah Palin
Electoral vote    365    173
States carried    28 + DC + NE-02    22
Popular vote    69,456,897[1]    59,934,814[1]
Percentage    52.9%[1]    45.7%[1]
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
550 days down, 911 days to go.  37.6% complete.