Author Topic: TSA Sues Woman over Apple Butter  (Read 1013 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
TSA Sues Woman over Apple Butter
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
Suing for $2000. I'm guessing they've already spent at least $200,000 of our money pursuing this.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/582357/tsa-been-hounding-woman-over-apple-butter-since-2013
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: TSA Sues Woman over Apple Butter
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
Where does TSA derive the ability to fine? They are neither law enforcement nor a taxation agency.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
The moronic TSA pushing it far over into asinine territory.

However, inquiring minds want to know if she was finally allowed to fly with an entire jar of terroristic apple butter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LDzOi1dyAA
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »
Where does TSA derive the ability to fine? They are neither law enforcement nor a taxation agency.

Section 178A(13)b(viii)(c)(4), subparagraph 21(B)(lxvi)(h)(12), line 23476 through but not including line 23493 following the words "But for the Grace of God" of the BISS Doctrine.

stay safe.

BISS Doctrine - the same one your mother invoked - Because I Said So.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Section 178A(13)b(viii)(c)(4), subparagraph 21(B)(lxvi)(h)(12), line 23476 through but not including line 23493 following the words "But for the Grace of God" of the BISS Doctrine.

stay safe.

BISS Doctrine - the same one your mother invoked - Because I Said So.

I thought it more formally known as the "BFYTW" clause...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
So if she doesn't pay, the Feds threaten legal action?

Doesn't the Constitution guarantee trial by jury if the penalty the government tries to impose exceeds $20?

I wonder what the chances are - assuming the woman has an even semi-competent lawyer during voir dire - of the TSA convincing 12 people on a jury that apple butter transport justifies a $2000 fine?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »
Interesting question.
Was the summons given by the local pd the covers the airport?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
I have a partially-used jar of apple butter in my refrigerator right now.

Apple butter is not a liquid. It's a spread, just like strawberry jam or raspberry jelly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 11:24:57 PM »
Technically it is a "civil penalty", not a criminal fine.
49 U.S. Code § 114 (v)(2)
(2) Civil penalty.—
     (A) In general.— A person is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $10,000 for a violation of a regulation prescribed, or order issued, by the Secretary of Homeland Security under an applicable provision of this title.
     (B) Repeat violations.— A separate violation occurs under this paragraph for each day the violation continues.
(3) Administrative imposition of civil penalties.—
     (A) In general.— The Secretary of Homeland Security may impose a civil penalty for a violation of a regulation prescribed, or order issued, under an applicable provision of this title. The Secretary shall give written notice of the finding of a violation and the penalty.
     (B) Scope of civil action.— In a civil action to collect a civil penalty imposed by the Secretary under this subsection, a court may not re-examine issues of liability or the amount of the penalty.
     (C) Jurisdiction.— The district courts of the United States shall have exclusive jurisdiction of civil actions to collect a civil penalty imposed by the Secretary under this subsection if—
          (i)the amount in controversy is more than—
               (I)$400,000, if the violation was committed by a person other than an individual or small business concern; or
               (II)$50,000 if the violation was committed by an individual or small business concern;
          (ii)the action is in rem or another action in rem based on the same violation has been brought; or
          (iii)another action has been brought for an injunction based on the same violation.
     (D) Maximum penalty.— The maximum civil penalty the Secretary administratively may impose under this paragraph is—
          (i)$400,000, if the violation was committed by a person other than an individual or small business concern; or
          (ii)$50,000, if the violation was committed by an individual or small business concern.
At the point the "civil penalty" is levied it becomes debt to the treasury.  Those guys know how to get their money, at least from people like you and I.  Not so much if your name is Geithner.