Author Topic: Two more major decisions by SCOTUS: pollution and lethal injection  (Read 1687 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/29/politics/supreme-court-epa-emissions/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/29/politics/supreme-court-lethal-injection-ruling/index.html

In the first decision, SCOTUS says that the EPA needs to consider costs when setting pollution limits on power plants.  In the second, using Versed as a component of a lethal injection protocol is not cruel and unusual punishment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »
I am always amused how complex a process we use to kill folk.  It could be so easy. Free too. Lots of heroin out there.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
I am always amused how complex a process we use to kill folk.  It could be so easy. Free too. Lots of heroin out there.

NO2.

The condemned could literally die laughing  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Two more major decisions by SCOTUS: pollution and lethal injection
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
Like how one of the "liberal" ones said that this opens the door for drawing and quartering.  How would that be a bad thing?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
NO2.

The condemned could literally die laughing  =)

I think you mean N2O.  NO2 is nasty stuff.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
I think you mean N2O.  NO2 is nasty stuff.

Meh.  Their job is to die, not critique the atmosphere.

Personally, I still like the captive bolt gun method.  With an option for the victims' families to do the job if they want.

And is anybody else just waiting for Scalia to have enough and write a single paragraph opinion?

"Regarding [plaintiff/defendant]'s argument, duh.  Regarding the other side's argument, nobody gives a crap about your imaginative interpretation of long established law.  In our opinion, you should settle this amongst yourselves via the time honored tradition of dueling with swords, which shall be provided momentarily so that a decision may be reached without further delay."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
"Regarding [plaintiff/defendant]'s argument, duh.  Regarding the other side's argument, nobody gives a crap about your imaginative interpretation of long established law.  In our opinion, you should settle this amongst yourselves via the time honored tradition of dueling with swords, which shall be provided momentarily so that a decision may be reached without further delay."

No sharps buffalo rifles?  Read an amusing account of a challenge where the challenged decided on the hunting rifles at 100 yards; presumably because that would settle the situation, one way or another, by most accounts.  The challenger decided the offense wasn't that great and backed down.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
No sharps buffalo rifles?  Read an amusing account of a challenge where the challenged decided on the hunting rifles at 100 yards; presumably because that would settle the situation, one way or another, by most accounts.  The challenger decided the offense wasn't that great and backed down.

Swords make it personal.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
Swords make it personal.

Any gentleman will loan you one.  And you'll be put up in the best lodgings for the night.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:04 PM »
The problem is that duels may only be between gentlemen.

Most of the time the only "gentlemen" involved are those wearing a black bathrobe who are granted that title as a non-hereditary honorific.

You want personal?  Cudgles.  With parimutuel betting.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
You want personal?  Cudgles.  With parimutuel betting.

Depending on the executioner, that could be considered torture ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cudgles
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Formerly sumpnz