Author Topic: Context matters  (Read 1745 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Context matters
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
http://speakingofresearch.com/2014/02/27/fact-into-fiction-why-context-matters-with-animal-images/

TLDR version: pictures of cats seized from hoarder about to get spayed/neutered gets recast as scene of zomg animal cruelty, thousands of duck squeezers flip out over it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Context matters
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Up until this very moment, I had never heard the term 'duck squeezer'.  I am assuming from the context that this is a bad thing?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
Distant cousins to chicken chokers?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
Up until this very moment, I had never heard the term 'duck squeezer'.  I am assuming from the context that this is a bad thing?

Some people juggle geese.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »

"duck squeezer" means environmentalist and/or hippy. Also known as eco freak, eagle freak, eco causer, etc. Often hates capitalism, materialism, scientific progress and/or values animals more than humans.  

Duck squeezer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G880gxjj9dI
(Warning, disturbing images and speech)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »

I cribbed it from the excellent book Zodiac by Neal Stephenson.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
^^^ I like Neil Stephenson a lot.  I will have to investigate if I have read that one yet.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
Some people juggle geese.

But then they don't get hired by Ned.  So this ipso facto proves that goose juggling is beyond the pale.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
I thought they wre called "bunny huggers"?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
In all honesty, animal rights wackos are a major pain in the butt.

I'm always worried that when we have a dog at the shop in bad shape, forwhatever reason, that an animal rights wackadoodle will call the cops for "animal cruelty".
I usually don't talk to people when I walk dogs, but there are a few that, if someone stops and shows intrest, I always stop to chit chat and insert several comments on how improved the dog is, that it has received medical attention and we are taking care of getting the dog better.

=| context does matter, but plenty of people will stop and see a bald dog covered in scabs and think you're responcible for it's condition instead of thinking that the dog is with you to recover for it's condition.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »

From the context I was able to discern that it is the same ilk as your garden variety tree humping bunny hugger.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »

From the context I was able to discern that it is the same ilk as your garden variety tree humping hugging bunny hugger humper.

FIFY.  =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:01 AM »
Nah, I had it right.  =D=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »
What you do in the privacy of the great outdoors is your business and I would appreciate it if you stop imposing your lack of moral values on me.   :P

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
In all honesty, animal rights wackos are a major pain in the butt....

You can't leave a dog in a car now for five minutes even on a mild day  :facepalm:

And then there's the folks that make a stink about dogs riding in pickup beds.  Back in Gunnison there was a rancher who came into town every morning for coffee in his 4x4 flatbed.  Right down Main Street with the dog riding on top of the cab!   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
You can't leave a dog in a car now for five minutes even on a mild day  :facepalm:

And then there's the folks that make a stink about dogs riding in pickup beds.  Back in Gunnison there was a rancher who came into town every morning for coffee in his 4x4 flatbed.  Right down Main Street with the dog riding on top of the cab!   =D

it was illegal to let your dog ride in the back of the truck unsecured for more than a decade before it was illegal to put your kids back there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
Makes sense to me.  Kids have opposable thumbs!  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »

Yeah, but dogs are smarter  :P

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »

Exactly.

I was driving home once and noticed a very confused bulldog on the side of the road. I pulled over and collected her. She was very sweet and had a coller and tags with a phone number.
When I called the owner didn't even realize she wasn't still in his truck! She had climbed out the back window of the cab and was riding in the bed. He must have hit a bump and she just popped right out.
He was very happy to collect his dear little bullydog and did say he would never let her ride in the bed again.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Once we had a kitten apparently crawl up on the frame of our pickup.  At any rate it ended up about eight miles away and it sure was't in the cab with us.

Also there was a young guy (not me!) working at our friends' resort and of course staying in one of their cabins.  He kept his dog tied to the back of his Blazer.  You guessed it - one day he drove off and forgot about the dog.  Fortunately he was just going up to another cabin on the hill and the mutt was able to keep up.