Author Topic: Need advice on drilling into a vertical concrete pillar  (Read 2583 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Need advice on drilling into a vertical concrete pillar
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
I work as a building engineer, and I need to install convex traffic mirrors for our parking garage. This requires drilling a blind hole into a vertical concrete face in order to put in an anchor. I've tried just getting up on a ladder and using a rotohammer and concrete bit, but am encountering problems. The pillar I'm drilling into is on a ramp, so the ladder is already tilted backwards. When I try to apply pressure it wants to go over. And, the hammer drill at this property is tiny so I need to apply a lot of force to make any headway. As a result, by the time it's deep enough to set the anchor it's been hogged out to the point that it's too large a diameter.

There are a few options that I can see, none of which I like much. I could set up a small scaffold to counteract the pitched floor, but that's time consuming to do multiple times, it would be in the traffic flow, and I would need to buy or rent the scaffold. I could buy or rent a larger rotohammer, but I need to do this sort of thing so seldom I don't want to sink a bunch of money from a small tools budget that's already short and that still wouldn't address the floor slope issue.

Ideally, what I'd like is to rent something like a small drill press that's made to attach to a vertical surface and drill into the concrete. Does anyone make something like this, and what is it called? Any other clever ideas?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Need advice on drilling into a vertical concrete pillar
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-3-in-1-1-18-in-variable-speed-sds-rotary-hammer-69274.html#.UyCpmvmSzsE

Ain't going to last too long, but from your description it doesn't have to.

You'll need a big sds to go into high strength concrete like you are describing.  Get the right tool, do the job, then have a beer in some of the time you saved.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
How big are the posts?  And how big are the holes you're trying to drill?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
I do not have the experience and expertise that you do, but is using a construction adhesive a workable alternative to the drill and anchor?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-3-in-1-1-18-in-variable-speed-sds-rotary-hammer-69274.html#.UyCpmvmSzsE

Ain't going to last too long, but from your description it doesn't have to.

You'll need a big sds to go into high strength concrete like you are describing.  Get the right tool, do the job, then have a beer in some of the time you saved.

That's actually a pretty good drill. I have one.

Yes, you do need a good large SDS hammer drill, not the smaller ones, to do this. Also some good bits.

There are a few options that I can see, none of which I like much. I could set up a small scaffold to counteract the pitched floor, but that's time consuming to do multiple times, it would be in the traffic flow, and I would need to buy or rent the scaffold. I could buy or rent a larger rotohammer, but I need to do this sort of thing so seldom I don't want to sink a bunch of money from a small tools budget that's already short and that still wouldn't address the floor slope issue.

Do it the right way. Get the scaffolding, get an SDS hammer drill, get some good bits. Yes setting up and breaking down scaffolding is time consuming but it is far safer than trying to use a ladder on a slope like that. You think scaffolding is aggravating? An injury is going to be costly and time consuming. You can get some smaller scaffolding and just roll it to the next column, too, which helps a lot.

Is there any way you can work from the bed of a pickup truck and be at the height you need? That's a good platform option too.

Look, I am well familar with working with a short budget. My agency squeezes every penny until it screams. But there are times when you have to say "*expletive deleted*ck it I need this *expletive deleted*it to do the job safely if you want it done" and explain why (safety, speed, cost savings compared to doing it the hard/stupid way, etc) and push until you get your way.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
How big are the posts?  And how big are the holes you're trying to drill?

By posts do you mean pillars? They're about 2.5' on a face.

3/8" by 3" depth.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
I do not have the experience and expertise that you do, but is using a construction adhesive a workable alternative to the drill and anchor?

I don't particularly like or trust epoxy solutions, although perhaps I should look into them.

That's actually a pretty good drill. I have one.

Yes, you do need a good large SDS hammer drill, not the smaller ones, to do this. Also some good bits.

Do it the right way. Get the scaffolding, get an SDS hammer drill, get some good bits. Yes setting up and breaking down scaffolding is time consuming but it is far safer than trying to use a ladder on a slope like that. You think scaffolding is aggravating? An injury is going to be costly and time consuming. You can get some smaller scaffolding and just roll it to the next column, too, which helps a lot.

Is there any way you can work from the bed of a pickup truck and be at the height you need? That's a good platform option too.

Look, I am well familar with working with a short budget. My agency squeezes every penny until it screams. But there are times when you have to say "*expletive deleted* it I need this *expletive deleted* to do the job safely if you want it done" and explain why (safety, speed, cost savings compared to doing it the hard/stupid way, etc) and push until you get your way.

Depending on the cost it might be faster/cheaper/easier to just pay a contractor to knock it out for me. I'm the only guy at this property and I've got several other higher priority projects.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
By posts do you mean pillars? They're about 2.5' on a face.

3/8" by 3" depth.

Can't you somehow run a strap around the pillar to hold up the mirror?

I would worry more about weakening the pillar and causeing the building to collapse  :O

My first reaction to the thread title was:  Don't!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »

I would worry more about weakening the pillar and causeing the building to collapse  :O

My first reaction to the thread title was:  Don't!

If drilling a 3/8" by 3inch hole into a 2.5 foot on a side square concrete pillar made it collapse, i would have some serious questions about that pillar.  ;)

I suppose an external strap might work, but 1. it wouldn't look nice and 2. it'd be more accessible to vandals.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:06:58 PM by Balog »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
You mean I get to be the first to suggest the Universal Response to Solving Your Problem:

DET CORD!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »
I'm thinking I should just spring for a better SDS drill, use some levelers on a ladder, and go for it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
I was going to suggest rotary (only) masonry bits:

http://www.midsouthcable.com/masonry_bit.jpg

I've got a set of these and they go up to 1/2in, including 3/8ths.. Set anchors in a concrete wall once to mount some shelving.  And no shock waves to upset the nearby concrete.

You could also rent a Ramset tool.  (Fun, to boot !)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a3/a3bfaeae-7e84-4e95-b608-1612cba37973_300.jpg

I do not trust using any adhesives on things that have low tensile strength like concrete.  You can't glue anything to a pile of sand :).

I don't see that stainless strapping would be especially vulnerable to vandals, even if you have to use several "in series" to strap the post.  Especially if you bugger up the screw heads or threads when done... and no "hammering" effort to buck on a ladder. Eeek emoticon.

And you can paint 'em gray.

Terry

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:28:04 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

I would worry more about weakening the pillar and causeing the building to collapse  :O

My first reaction to the thread title was:  Don't!

Yes.

Industrial strap mounting brackets is what you seek. Screw the drill and the glue...  :P

And you can move it and re-position it as many times as need be when they decide it's not right and the mirrors need to be pointed somewhere else.

There are many options similar to this.. http://www.discountsignsupplies.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/sign_mounting_pole_bracket.jpg
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of pillar your garage has, but is it possible that they used pretensioned rebar?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of pillar your garage has, but is it possible that they used pretensioned rebar?

The slab is post tension, I believe the support pillars are normal poured in place with standard rebar. But I'm not hitting metal, just at a bad angle with a crappy drill.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
if you are still going to drill, try using a strap around the post and fastened to you so that you are pulling against the post rather than pushing on the ladder.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
For hogged out holes, concrete anchor adhesive is a lifesaver.  That, or use slightly oversize wedge bolts.

Also, ever thought about renting a drill?  I bet you can rent an omigawd! animal of a tool that will have the job done in no time for about the same amount you'd have in a ho-hum unit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
They do have vacuum bases for core drills but they would not work on a round column. Plus you would have trouble getting a bit that small for a big machine like that.

I say strap it up and call it done.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
Strap your ladder and/or yourself to the pillar so that you can get some pressure on the drill.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Need advice on drilling into a vertical concrete pillar
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
Options-

Adhesive to hold a bracket. There are some pretty durn strong sticky stuff that should hold it fine.

Instead of drilling into the pillar, use a strapping system that goes around it to hold the stuff on. We do that here for anything we want mounted to one of the I beams. Use in conjunction with the adhesive option for some extra holding mojo.

Get a painter's ladder from home depot. Normally used to overcome having to setup a ladder on stairs but should work on the slope your dealing with if you choose the right ladder, lots easier then the scaffolding solution.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
Rent a powered man lift. Drive up, park, set brake. Stand on flat, albeit sloped, surface at proper height with lots of room to lean.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »

Poke hole from a safe distance, fill with Rockite from a Ziploc with a corner cut off, stuff anchor in before Rockite sets.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Not sure how steep of a slope we're talking but building up the low side with 2x6s so the ladder is level or even leaning in your favor might work for you. Then starting with smaller bits as in say a 1/4" pilot hole and then working my way up to 3/8" is another thought.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
Build a 3" larger form around the pillar, including 3/8" hole.  Pour new concrete.