Author Topic: $10million yacht launched, sinks immediately  (Read 958 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: $10million yacht launched, sinks immediately
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Do you think the designers mistakenly assumed a certain weight of fuel or other stuff to provide ballast?  They said no fuel was leaking so I assume it had nothing in it.  Did it even have the engine installed?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
i can't imagine a boat that can't float with that small modicam of ballast provided by the engines.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:08:17 PM »
Meh, just another high dollar stink pot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
I think the weight/balance/displacement math was sound.

From what I read, the keel caught on an underwater obstruction as they tried to float for the first time. Instead of stopping to figure out what was wrong when it wouldn't move, they doubled-down on pushing harder, and used the lateral docking/maneuver thrusters.
I promise not to duck.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »
I was once offered a very nice boat at a bargain price.  Turned out that the boatyard doing some overhaul and hull maintenance relaunched her without closing the sea cocks.  I am forever grateful to the "little  bird" who tipped me to the error.  The boat was later reported having burned to the waterline, the fire apparently resulting from a wiring problem  resulting from the sea water immersion.

Gravity happens, that other stuff always descends from an aperture.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!