Author Topic: Loading .355 bullets for a .38 special  (Read 1696 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Loading .355 bullets for a .38 special
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »
I'm taking some friends plinking next weekend and thought I'd load some ammunition for the .38 revolver.  One of the revolvers I'm thinking on bringing is an inexpensive Armscor M200 (paid $149 NIB).  I got lucky and received a specimen with a decently smooth and light trigger.  The only issue is the bore; it loves jacketed bullets but HATES swaged lead while only slightly tolerates hardcast.  I have gobs of WC and SWC for the .38s, but ran out of anything jacketed.  If I use soft lead in the M200, the bore leads rapidly and slugs start to keyhole within 20 rounds. I suspect lapping the barrel is in order, but not before our outing.
I have thousands of JHP and FMJ for 9mm and wonder if I can load some 124gr .355 FMJs for the .38 special. I know the accuracy might be lousy, but is there any other reason not to (as I can't think of any)?   

Thanks in advance. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Loading .355 bullets for a .38 special
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:04:51 AM »
Sorry the best I can offer is have to try the question at the reloading forum over on The High Road. I'm sure someone will have an answer there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:32:03 AM »
You might be suprised at how many .38SPL barrels mic at .355-.356". It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. You'd need to be careful of your bullet crimp, though.

I second the idea of checking THR's Reloading section. But I don't see any reason you can't use them.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
I know people who use .357 and .355 bullets interchangeably without encountering problems. I don't and wouldn't for the simple reason I'm particular about both my guns and ammunition, but I'm the odd one out when it comes to that sort of thing.

It's conceivable using .357 bullets in a .355 barrel could lead to excess pressure, but that's if and only if the .355 barrel is tight. Have you slugged the barrel? Have you accurately measured the bullets?

Didn't think so. If you haven't, and if you're not trying to achieve maximum accuracy, close enough is most probably close enough. If the barrel won't accept lead bullets, it's probably considerably out of standard specification in the oft-cited "first place," so it's not likely to make any difference what you send down it. By the bye, if the barrel has lead fouling problems, it's probably also got copper fouling problems. Those probably don't matter much, but it's been my experience fouling is fouling is fouling.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:59:56 AM »
Should not be a problem. Make sure you have a good crimp, to ensure good ignition. Watch for squibs.

Blog under construction