Author Topic: Jeans to buy?  (Read 21477 times)

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 03:44:45 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I've been ordering my jeans from Land's End.

I don't know who mankes them, but the danged things wear like iron.
Me too.  I like the fact that they'll hem them for free.  I have short legs so I can't find pants that fit me off the shelf anywhere.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 06:51:38 PM »
Maybe I'll give Carhartt a try since they got a couple votes.

Anything in particular you like about them ?  Fit, price, durability, pockets, pro-2A ?
They fit awesome in my book, that's a major point for Carhartt.  Durability?  Hell yes, we've got durability.  I'm not sure about the blue jeans, but the cotton duck material is very tough, the only thing that wears out is the ankle where it rubs on my boots.  Pockets?  They've got all the pockets you'd need, and a couple you likely don't.  They're made in USA, by a union.  I'm not pro-union, but I don't mind.

I've got about 7 pairs here kickin' around if that tells you anything.  They also work swell out in the brush as in upland bird hunting.  I mainly use them for my logging carreer, but don't feel out of place wearing them in Red Lobster either.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Silver Bullet

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 02:01:21 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I'm going to buy a pair tonight.

VARifleman

Jeans to buy?
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 08:10:26 AM »
Thanks, ya'll.  I'll be looking into Carharrtt's when I buy my next jeans (soon as I have very little left).  Could someone inform me as to what Levi's did that was anti-2nd-Amendment?  Thanks.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 09:11:53 AM »
You can do a search on the web for numerous references, but I found this quote

Levis has given substantial support to the PAX organization  an anti-freedom, anti-firearms rights, anti-self-defense organization
here:
http://www.gunssavelife.com/GSLife/gunnews/oct2000secure.pdf

Theyre also listed on the NRAs blacklist.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »
Okay, after 6+ months, I can confirm that Carhartt makes a mighty fine pair of jeans.  The ones I bought are showing hardly any signs of wear.  They fit well, they look good, etc.  

I don't remember what I paid for them; probably much more than Wal-Mart Wranglers (which I also like) but much less than my tactical Blackie Collins Toters (which the Carhartt does not replace).  An excellent choice for everyday denims.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 09:45:28 AM »
I just sprang for a pair of American Eagle brand jeans.

We'll see how they do.

Probably made in Guatamala.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jeans to buy?
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 09:53:34 AM »
At 25-30 bucks a pair, I am Very pleased with Carhartts.  Tougher than nails (litteraly, they are super resistant to snags and other sharp pointy things that would shred a lesser pair of jeans).  Comfy too.  Definatly a good buy.

A close second in Wranglers.  Little more comfortable than carhartts, and easier on the waller.  those would be my casual jeans.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »
Another vote for Toters from Blackie Collins'
My pair fit me good, just a tad tight in the rearend.. but the GF likes that Smiley  Since I keep them as one of my good jeans for going out I only needed one pair.

The rest of the time it's either faded glory or wranglers from wally world.
I prefer cheap since I tear them up.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

grampster

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm with sm on jeans.  Been buying them from LL Bean for years.  Double L jeans.  They come in 4 cuts.  $29.50.  I like the Classic Fit.  

I like The Territory Ahead for most other stuff I wear.  I hate to shop for clothes.  1-800-grampstersdone.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 11:03:44 AM »
When this thread first started, my #1 would have been LL Bean, but the last few pairs I bought from them have this weird thing where they apparently are not putting as much "jean" material at the pocket edges, and the stupid white material in the front pockets keeps "puffing out."

My #1 jeans now are Carhartts, and Cabelas, some of which may even be relabled Carhartts?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »
veloce851, I also get my wranglers from Wally, and just recently tried the Faded Glory. Do you notice that the pockets are harder to access on the FGs? Maybe it's just the way I'm built, but I have one heck of a time getting into the front pockets.
The Blackie Collins Toters sound neat, but ain't no way I'm paying $80 for a pair of pants. That's 5 pairs of Wranglers!

InfidelSerf

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
Do you notice that the pockets are harder to access on the FGs?
Actually now that you mention it, I have noticed that too.  I have also noticed my CRKT folder scrapes my knuckles when putting my hands in the front pocket (I keep my folder on my right front pocket).   However both the wrangler and the F&Gs are falling apart right where I keep my knife.

As far as paying $75 for a pair of jeans.  They were pricey... but very useful when going out on the town.
And you have to splurge once in awhile Smiley
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Antibubba

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »
Well, I tried ordering online from Pointer Brand; they apparently don't like how I'm doing it.  I wish they'd tell me why.  I'll try calling tomorrow.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BozemanMT

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2006, 04:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
I've heard a lot of good things about Carhartt jeans.
+1
Yeppers.  All I buy anymore
They fit my fat behind and they last a long time
and I"m HARD on jeans.
comfy, good wearing, affordable
can't ask for more
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

w turner

Jeans to buy?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2006, 09:03:50 PM »
I tried a pair of Carhartts jeans.  Love the way they fit and they have worn very well all things considred, but the pockets are tiny and shallow.  I can barely fit a j-frame in a holster in the front pockets and even in an empty front pocket, I struggle to get my hands in and out of them.

I loved the Levi's 550's, but I just can't bring myself to buy them anymore.  Tried Wranglers on in the store and hated the fit(the fact that I am currently a fata** may have something to do with that though).

Try Duluth Trading Company.  Similar to Carhartt's, but roomier with very deep pockets lined with canvas instead of thin cotton.  Extremely comfortable, and the waistband, pockets, fly, and cuffs are all lined with heavy canvas to prevent wear thru in those areas.  They also have a unique diamond shaped gusset in the crotch that makes them super comfortable and helps to eliminate the dreaded moose-knuckle syndrome.  These are the most comfortable jeans I have ever owned.  As a bonus, the cuffs are also big enough to allow for easy ankle carry if you are into that sort of thing.  

I think they run around $40 a pair and come in two different weights of denim and two different styles.  One style is a utility pants style, the other is the traditional 5 pocket style.  They also make dang good T-shirts too.  They help prevent plumber's butt, especially on tall guys (6'8") like me.

www.duluthtrading.com  should be the correct link.

W

Silver Bullet

• friend
Jeans to buy?
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 04:32:40 AM »
Very cool.  I'm bookmarking that one.

Jeans to buy?
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »
Levis Gun Sleeve

Remember I shared buying by the box a bunch of Levis back in the early 80's?
Just grab a new pair as need all these years when I wear out/ tear up a pair?
Getting down to ...heck I am on my last pairs...

I had to "recycle"  a pair of them, seems the seat wore out - not so much from years, being dragged behind a truck so I could shoot a shotgun this way. I wanted a break from standing in the back of said truck shooting a shotgun...

Anywho, that is why spare jeans  are...err were in the truck.

Kid noticed another kid with a blue jean sleeve for a kid's .22 rifle. My old jeans are still holding up for that kid...

So the kid's parents got the sewing machine out...then decided to let the kid's Aunt use her super-duper sewing dealie to make a gun sleeve.

My jeans are a 33 inseam btw, faded, I mean real comfy well worn faded. Both legs were used , one inside the other, allowing for adusting the length, back pockets used for accessory pockets, hook and loop closures to keep stuff from falling out. Waistband part of the carrying strap. One end closed, the other has a drawstring , then this folds over and is tucked what used to be the watch pocket.

I like the tie-dyed patch sewn on - you can spot that sleeve a long way off!

Seems - again - I am to blame for starting something...

"Will you scoot and shoot and tear up another pair of jeans so I can have one too?"

"Get your mom to scoot and shoot" I quipped back looking at the kid's mom.

"Mom is too short, she does not have long legs like you do..."

I did not say a word...the mom said it, not me, honest.

"If you make a smart remark about women saying "does this make my butt look big?" and using the extra material from "back there" to make a sleeve I will kick your butt".

I do not have a butt...that mom is not much better...

"You weight what? 100 #'s sopping wet, have to dance in the shower to get weight?

I'm still in trouble..."mom - is that why daddy said you were dancing in the bathroom naked...and ya'll were laughing and all in there the other night...?  

I can be as dumb as a brick and let a mom turn purple...

Dad / Hubby to the rescue...Thrift Store, faded jeans, $4.  Kid is getting a sleeve made...I'm still to blame , I am always to blame...

That was close...

This one will get a AA 100 straight patch on her gun case. Who cares if the gun is a .22 rifle ?  She likes the patch - she got the patch.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Jeans to buy?
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 07:36:10 AM »
I've had my Carhartt's over a year now, and they still look great.  I probably wear theman average of two days a week.  I can see signs of wear, of course, but they're by no means raggedy.  Even the cuffs haven't gone stringy on me.

Right now I have one pair of Wrangler's (they're a little "sportier" than my other jeans), one pair of Carhartt's (they're cut a little baggier for wearing to work on casual Fridays), and my pair of Blackie Collins' Toters.

I like my Wranglers, but they're already falling apart faster than the Carhartt pair, and I think I wear them about the same, maybe a bit less.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2006, 03:35:34 AM »
No self=respecting Alaskan would wear anything, but Carhartt.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2006, 04:03:43 AM »
http://www.gussetclothing.com/

I have been wanting to give these a try...they look very comfy.

Greg

Ron

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2006, 04:44:56 AM »
Wrangler also has a line of jeans called "Riggs Workware"

I buy them or Carhartt for work.

During the winter I look like a Carhartt commercial with the jeans, jacket and hat.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
I bought some of the Academy (Austin brand) jeans not too long ago for around $10.00.  I've only worn them half a dozen times, but they seem to be pretty decent.  The button feels a little cheap, but they fit fine, look pretty good, and are reasonably tough - I'd say they're a good deal for 10 bucks.  I grew up wearing Levi's.  I'd wear'em until the sides split, knees wore through, crotch gave up, pockets ripped, and most of the blue was gone.  I've even worn them with a gun.  shocked  Maybe I should take a picture of an OWB-holstered pistol on my Levi's and send it to them.  I hate to see them supporting the anti-gun bunch because I do like their products.  I've had a few pairs of Wranglers - I much rather have the $10 Academy jeans.  I've never even seen Carhartt jeans - I'll have to check them out.
For entertainment purposes only.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2006, 04:19:22 AM »
For day in, day out I like Wranglers.

BUT ... if you want to be a little more tactical, I'd recommend Blackie Collins' Toters

http://www.blackiecollins.com/about.html

They come with pockets reinforced for carrying a handgun in the pockets.  They're made in America, and they hang better than any other jeans I've had (that is, when you hold them by the cuffs the seams line up easier).  I figure every CCW person here will want at least one pair.

I admit they're much more expensive, but for those of us here screaming about losing jobs overseas, here's your chance to put up or shut up.

I got all red X's on thier site.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »
LLBean and Carhartt seem to be the overwhelming suggestions here  grin
Where's the best place to find Carhartts in a store?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”