Author Topic: My Best Friend, Neighbor, and Uncle, RIP  (Read 2159 times)

USP45usp

• friend
My Best Friend, Neighbor, and Uncle, RIP
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:05:48 AM »
My best friend in the state of Oregon died this morning.  He was also my uncle.

In the six or so years that I've lived here, and have lived beside him, he welcomed me into the family and we sat many a night and weekend debating life, the yard, and what we wanted to do.

It's only been about 5 hours since, and the house is already cold and lonely.  I will miss sitting outside in the front yard in the summer, having our "summer drinks" and talking.  I will miss sitting in the winter in his part of the house and having our "winter drinks" and talking.  The funny thing being, our summer and winter drinks were always the same.

He was what I would consider young, I think he was 60.  His birthday was just this past September.  He "retired" due to disability, his leukemia started back up and his back was going out.  During the past couple of months he got to where he could barely walk but that didn't stop him.  Then, a few weeks ago I went over and he wasn't doing so well.  It was the beginning of the end.

At least I got to talk with him on Monday night.  He was doing abit better and was coherant, or moreso than he was when he came home on Sunday, and we got to talk abit.  I will cherish that.

I was over last night and he was asleep but you could tell he was in some pain, even with the morphine.  I just thank God that he died in his sleep, at home, and not in so much pain.

So, I'm home today, have a really bad stomach ache and headache.  I should have stayed at work but I didn't feel like doing anything.  So since I have a few things that I need to do today I figured that I could do them here just as well.

My uncle was a Korean War Veteren.  He drove the APV, I don't know what SOP (or whatever it's called in the Army) that was.  He was proud of his service, as am I.

This is going to be really hard on the family, especially my Grandmother.  This was the 2nd son that she's lost this year, and her last.  We all knew that it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier on anyone.  Me, I've lost family before but I will say that my Uncle wasn't only family, he was my best friend.

Well Uncle Donny, I want to thank you for being a great Uncle, and a great Friend.  May you Rest in Peace and know that you were loved and appreciated.

Donny Howard Hunter:  1945 - 2005

Wayne

*thank you for allowing me to post this here.  I know that Rich and Oleg don't like OT forums but I thank them that APS is here today.  For I needed to say my peace and to thank my Uncle for being there for me, and for being the person that he was.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:47:20 AM »
My condolences to you and your family.

bytor94

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 08:18:27 AM »
My condolences to you.

I also lost an uncle that was a Korea vet this year.  I still miss him terribly, but at least he is no longer in pain either.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:21:46 AM »
You sure there isn't a typo as to your uncle's birthdate?  Korean War veteran?  He would have been eight (Cool years old when the Korean War was interrupted in 1953?

Sorry for your loss.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 08:28:18 AM »
I misspoke, He wasn't in the war itself but when we were over there afterward.  Like I am a Desert Strom I veteran, as well as II but I wasn't in I but in Operation Desert Calm after.

I wasn't thinking at the time.  He was in Korea, not in the war.  

Sorry about that.

Wayne

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »
Wayne,

You are made better for the knowing of this loved man.  Make sure you honor him by being like him for your posterity.
Warm wishes and in condolence for your loss.

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 08:32:28 AM »
That didn't come out clear as mud either.  He was in the Army, he was stationed in Korea, way long after the war, he drove an APV.

Sorry, not lieing to you.  Just not thinking as clearly as I thought.  Sorry.

Wayne

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 04:01:48 PM »
Best wishes and prayers. I'm sorry. Sad

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 04:49:40 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle.  May he rest in peace.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 08:37:41 AM »
I apologize for not coming back sooner to say thank you.  

Thank you.

Wayne

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 01:37:54 AM »
We all knew that it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier on anyone.
No, it never does. I lost dad to cancer in 1998. He was sick for a while so I knew it was coming and I thought I was "prepared". I wasn't. When he was sick it got to where he was in so much pain and on so much morphine he didn't even look like himself anymore. As he passed you could see the pain leaving his face and returning to look like his own. I knew he was at peace then and I was thankful for it.

Sorry for you loss. May he rest in peace now as well.

Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Penman

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 03:48:44 PM »
He'll be waiting for you on the other side, with Summer and Winter drinks at hand.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 01:40:51 PM »
Wayne, very sorry for your loss.  It's always hard to hear of a good man being laid too rest.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 02:47:14 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You and his Mother are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.