Author Topic: Something I wrote.... Let me know what you think.  (Read 4124 times)

uvakat

• friend
Something I wrote.... Let me know what you think.
« on: December 04, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »
First let me start off by telling you a little bit about myself. I do not fit any of the stereotypes for the typical gun owner. I do not like NASCAR; in fact I like hockey and football. I was not born in the Deep South or in the Western states. I grew up in an affluent neighborhood just outside of DC. I am female and a minority. I am relatively well educated. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry double majoring in Biology with a minor in mathematics from a top 25 university. I am currently working on my second Bachelors/Masters in Mechanical Engineering. I am young, only 22. I grew up in a house where we never worried about guns or violence. That was just something that happened in the bad areas of DC. Once I got to college, I watched Bowling for Columbine my sophomore year for class and was swayed enough by the documentary, at least enough to buy it. Then life changed for me.

I was a typical college student. I drank at frat parties three nights a week partying away and then suffered in the library the other four nights doing homework just to do it again week after week. Unfortunately, I had to grow up sooner then I thought I would. I was just 17, away from home for the first time in my life. I grew up in a strict Catholic family where values and morals were set and were expected to be followed. Despite volunteering in a hospital, I was very naive about the inherent goodness of people. My very first year of college, a boy who I trusted decided he wanted to be with me. He drugged my tea and then proceeded to rape me. This was my first lesson in human nature. I blocked the incident and continued on with school and started partying. I also started on my premed requirements and decided to join the local rescue squad. Through squad, I had calls that I will never forget. I saw people and things in the city that a normal college student should never see. My sophomore year of college made me lose faith in my own judgments and my own faith in people. My best friend at the time decided to hold a knife 3 inches away from my neck and then three days later threatened to kill me. I found out later that he meant it at a joke, but it was not funny to me. After that incident I started to change my opinions on self defense and finding a way to protect myself. I started carrying around a pocket knife just in case and had a can of mace on me most of the time.

Luckily, between my junior and senior year of college, I met my current boyfriend. I always wanted to learn how to shoot but was always scared on how to approach it. I did not know where to start. He offered to take me out for the first time. The only problem was that I was 20 and was not allowed to shoot in a range. He settled instead for a rifle. I bought my first rifle a month away from my 21st birthday. During the months before I turned 21, he also started carrying openly at first and then concealed when his permit came in. He was carrying a full size IMI Jericho. I was so scared that in my liberal college town, somebody would stop us and then give us grief. After a few weeks, I got used to him carrying a gun around and generally did not notice until I hugged him and felt a hard metal object. On the weekend right before I turned 21, he bought a new pistol for himself and then let me borrow his old one. On my 21st birthday I applied for my concealed carry permit. I was still unsure of myself and was uncomfortable carrying. I thought all eyes were on me. Eventually, I started carrying almost daily when I was not in class (against University policy).

I wanted to write to tell you the reason why I carry. I carry because it is an inherent right and a right not used is a right not given. Most of all I carry because I never want to feel like I during those past events in my life. I never want to feel helpless to anybody again. I never want to feel like there is nothing I can do. I have no doubt in my mind that if I have to use my gun, it will be easier to deal with then another rape or another knife to my throat by a trusted friend.

-Kat
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 07:29:05 PM »
Welcome back Kat.  Haven't seen a post from you in awhile.

Your story is moving.  It is also how a fair number of folks begin to think about life before they come to the conclusion that the best person to look after #1 is #1.  They see something, hear something, are involved in something and it shakes one's core.

In these times many of our educated folks and the ones doing the educating have a false sense of the human condition.  Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, it seems many of them believe that all people are rational, can be reasoned with or worst of all inherently good; just misdirected or abused.  You've heard all the dreck, I'm sure.  Regarding the inherently good myth; Do children have to learn how to be selfish and amoral, or do they rather have to be civilized?  It is apparent to me that if you don't teach a kid that there is a difference between right and wrong and show them the definition of each to the best of your ability, you'll wind up with a sociopath.   Your generation's mission may just become being the obstacle to the continuation of the fantasies of the Far Left and to initiate your peers into the notion that in order to be a free Man, one needs to be engaged in life, take personal responsibilty, and make sure that our freedoms continue into the next millenium.

You've had a first hand, personal experience in this.  Boots on the ground is the current buzz word for life lessons.

You sound like a woman who has a capacity and thirst for knowledge.  I salute you.  Now you need to use that knowlege for your own protection and to, through your actions and confidence, educate others who need to understand the lessons that you have learned.

Illigitimi non carborundum est, young lady.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:21:12 AM »
Thanks grampster. I wrote it since I just got really tired of telling people verbally why I carry. I figure I can write it down and then just give it to them :-P

Alex45ACP

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 02:46:20 AM »
Who gave you the right to carry?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:14:15 AM »
I wrote it since I just got really tired of telling people verbally why I carry.
I'd keep it short with something like, "Personal protection."

I hope you would consider furthering your education to include proper use of your weapon and other self defense related intsruction.

How the %##%^$ is a 22 YO working on her second masters? Kids these days!!

rolleyes

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 03:18:14 AM »
I carry because it is a right given to me and a right not used is a right not given.
Alex is right...you need to overcome this notion that someone gave you something.  There are certain inalienable rights endowed upon you by your creator and self-preservation is one of them.  Do not make the mistake that your government has given you anything.  You had it all along.

Greg

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 04:37:42 AM »
Congratulations on some sound decision making and keep up the good work on the degree.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

natedog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 05:17:30 AM »
Good story, and I have to agree with the above: rights cannot be given, and cannot be taken away- they can be restricted, repressed, or infringed upon, but not taken away.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 05:17:32 AM »
Uh,,, DEFENSE, I meant personal defense... shocked

Tongue

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 05:27:50 AM »
I think you are a realistic and level-headed young woman whose views have 100% validity; your opinions on self defense are incontrovertible as they arise directly from your own experiences.   I wish you the very best for the future and am confident you will accomplish the desires of your heart.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »
I thorougly approve.  And well put too.  So, what do you carry?

Quote from: uvakat
I am relatively well educated. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry double majoring in Biology with a minor in mathematics from a top 25 university.
You're cool.  (Chem is cool too.)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 08:34:47 AM »
Uvakat,
I grew up in Vienna.  Dad was an FBI agent, and I wound up going to JMU, but spent LOTS of weekends in C'ville.

Sorry you had to go through those tough life experiences to come to an understanding that you have a right to defend yourself.  Glad you're here to tell the tale!

Regards,
Fig

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 08:42:24 AM »
uvacat, I'm so sorry that you were attacked during your first year.  It sounds like you are very bright, are taking responsibility for your future safety, and are on the right track in general.  I, too, encourage you to get formal training in marksmanship and tactics.

One more thing: I hope you aren't having to explain why you carry very often -- concealed means concealed.

Wahoo Wah!
COMM '80
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 08:54:41 AM »
Thanks grampster. I wrote it since I just got really tired of telling people verbally why I carry. I figure I can write it down and then just give it to them :-P
I'm curious; just who are all of these random people in whom you confide concerning your concealed gun?

I don't mention it to most persons I'm with. I'm afraid in a tense situation they might blurt out, "You have a gun; do something!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 10:00:06 AM »
I don't mention it to most persons I'm with. I'm afraid in a tense situation they might blurt out, "You have a gun; do something!"
+1 on that!

One more thing: I hope you aren't having to explain why you carry very often -- concealed means concealed.
And that too!

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »
I carry open a lot. I work part time in a gunstore and carry open there. I get asked a lot of questions there or when I drop by Walgreens (across the parking lot)

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 12:04:58 PM »
I carry open a lot. I work part time in a gunstore and carry open there. I get asked a lot of questions there or when I drop by Walgreens (across the parking lot)
I see. cool You are doing fine!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 06:45:27 PM »
Well said, Kat!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 03:23:15 AM »
Quote from: 280plus

rolleyes

Cheesy
LOL second bachlors, 1st masters....

Smith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 03:41:57 AM »
Hey Kat, gimmie a shout on IM today.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 03:42:36 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Uvakat,
I grew up in Vienna.  Dad was an FBI agent, and I wound up going to JMU, but spent LOTS of weekends in C'ville.

Sorry you had to go through those tough life experiences to come to an understanding that you have a right to defend yourself.  Glad you're here to tell the tale!

Regards,
Fig
I grew up just around there. I was in county land between Vienna and McLean.

Unisaw --> Damn comm schoolers :-P think you all are soo special :-D

Phantom Warrior --> I carry a Sig P229R DAK in .357 sig or a Sig P239 in 9 mm. (or I borrow the bf's and it's usually a Kimber if I do)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 04:09:02 AM »
Quote from: 280plus

rolleyes

Cheesy
LOL second bachlors, 1st masters....
Still,,,good for you! Ask your parents if they wouldn't mind swapping 22 yo's, tell them I'd throw in a 19 yo too.

j/k...

Cheesy

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 05:39:59 AM »
Glad to see you've come out of collegedom in one piece in spite of your experiences.

When anyone expresses at your carry, your proper response is along the lines of "Oh, you don't carry?  How do you plan on defending yourself, or are you just going to depend on me to protect you."  Your answer should be base on the assumption that carry is normal and not carrying is un-normal.

BTW, you and your BF have good taste in handguns.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon