Author Topic: Advice...  (Read 3122 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Advice...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »
Uvakat,

FWIW, I don't think your parents hate you-but they do sound very insecure.  As far as your mother's behavior goes, I can only take a few guesses.  I think your mother feels anger/guilt/shame over the situation of your half brother: was he conceived out of wedlock?  Did she give him up or was she forced to by her parents?  Your desire to meet him must stir up some powerful negative emotions!  

You never mention your father, but if your brother's birth was somehow a shame on your mother I can't imagine he would be too happy to see his wife's first child (by another man).  Is your father actively on your case, or is he just bullied along by your mother, too?

The fact that you are smart, willful, and able to take of yourself probably scares her more than anything, because what kind of proper high class (ASIAN) man would want a wife like that???  more than anything else, your job is to provide grandchildren and take of her in her old age.  How disgraceful of you!  Wink  22 years old-a spinster, or worse.

Now, you could play head games with her, like agreeing with her every criticism and serenely smiling while you do so, but with the amount of schoolwork you have you probably don't need any more distractions (although this could really be a lot of fun Cheesy ).  

And if marriage proposals are the problem, tell her you just got one tonight.  She might shut up if she heard it came from an Jewish guy who isn't a doctor or a lawyer or merchant.  Where should I "mistakenly" send the passionate declarations of my love?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Strings

Advice...
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 06:47:34 PM »
Leave it to Antibubba to play head games... Wink

For myself, were I in your situation, I would just keep quiet until I could become self sufficent and move out. At that point, I'd become completely quiet: no contact whatsoever. I've done that with more than one family member who I couldn't stand...

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Advice...
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 07:29:25 PM »
Indeed, can you blame us?  Especially us twenty-something single males?

grampster

• friend
Advice...
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 07:56:55 PM »
It's time for grampster to weigh in.

Uvakat,  Intellectually you have grasped your quandry, and are seeking advice. (Advice=the foundation for solutions)

Next, you will come to decide a course of action based on your foundation.  Then you will build the solution while confidently remaining at peace with yourself.

It's a solo journey, kid.  But from what I can tell from your thoughtful posts, you'll be up for it and it will be a magnificent experience.  Smiley
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
Advice...
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »
Hope I don't get flamed for this, but here goes...

If I remember correctly from a thread a while back, you're Christian, and more specifically, Catholic. Even if it has never been a big part of your life, try a short prayer. It can't hurt, and may help. Even something just like "Okay God, I've got some important decisions to make, and I'm encountering some troubles right now, just give me some support so that I can do what's best for me and for what I need to do."

Other than that, there's been plenty of good advice given by the rest of the posters here. I don't have anything to add, just use the advice here that you find helpful. You can get through this, and you can always find support here from people who have had major troubles themselves in their life.

Smiley

Oh, and if you don't mind, I'll say a quick prayer myself for you to help you with your decisions and anything else you may need support with. Smiley
Andy

Stickjockey

• friend
Advice...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 04:57:10 AM »
They repeatily tell me that I'm fat and that I'll never find a guy to love me looking like this.
You might also want to look around for coffee cans Cheesy and small, foil-wrapped packages in ziplock bags.
these people are smoking something, and it ain't terbaccy.

They're not sharing, either, and that's just rude
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

InfidelSerf

• friend
Advice...
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 01:31:47 PM »
Jim March and Felonious Fig   calm down  :p
Of course I was asking uvakat  

I'm not into the brokeback mountain scene.. but thanks anyway.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76