Author Topic: Props to Best Buy  (Read 608 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Props to Best Buy
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
I bought my 11 year old son a Nook last Christmas...the old style black and white one, and since it was for an 11 year old, I paid the extra $20 for the Protection Plan.  Afterwards, I kind of regretted it, after reading in forums about how bad the customer service was on the Protection Plan.  So, on Tuesday, son comes home from school and says he can't get the Nook to turn on.  I tried.  I poked and prodded.  No luck.  I'm thinking I'm out of luck, when we got a phone message reminding us that the Protection Plan was about to expire, asking us to call and renew.  I'd forgotten the plan, don't have the receipt, but figured I had nothing to lose.  So, I head to Best Buy. Security puts a sticker on the Nook to show I brought it in with me, and they send me back to the Geek Squad.  Walk up, wait in line, prepping for an argument.  My turn comes up, and the very busy tech is actually polite and friendly.  Asked what was wrong, and I tell him.  he pokes and prods for a minute, and agres the button is dead.  Asks if I have my receipt, and when I saw no, he says no problem and begins looking it up on the computer.  He finds the purchase and prints me out a duplicate receipt.  He then tells me that it's good new/bad news.  Bad news is that the old style doesn't exist anymore, so they can't just give me a new one.  good news is that under the Plan's terms, I get an equivelent model.  he walks over, picks up the new Nook Simple touch and hands it to me.  I fill out a form, and walk out of the store.  Only cost was another $20 for the Protection Plan on this new one.  Yeah, I know the new Nook doesn't cost as much as I paid for the old one, but I've got a working e-reader for my son at basically no cost.
For a change, I actually came out on the winning side of a customer service issue.  I'll be shopping at Best Buy until they prove me wrong, and will consider the Protection Plan for future purchases.  It actually worked hassel free.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Props to Best Buy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
Ladypine got her camera repaired a couple weeks before the service plan expired.  The guy at Bestbuy was amazed because he said that they never last that long (wtf???).

That was a couple years back, and said camera has since been retired and replaced (old one was getting hot and threatening to catch on fire  :O ).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin