Author Topic: the JR15  (Read 743 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
the JR15
« on: February 14, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
I guess this is something at the Shot Show that I didn't hear about. The JR-15 is a .22 rifle for children. Looks like an AR, but smaller and lighter, and with a couple of interesting features.

The safety is, I guess, child-proof; and it ships with a one-round magazine ("high-cap mags" sold separately).

https://www.wee1tactical.com/

Sounds like it could be really good for some parents, though I do wonder about the safety. I get that the safety is not designed for children to disengage, but I hope they can engage it easily. Seems like they should be trained to engage the safety at appropriate times.

Maybe it's just me (and I really hope not), but I find the baby skulls really off-putting. Even typing the two words together is off-putting. But post-modern America has embraced the skull way too much for my taste, anyway. Perhaps I'm in the minority on the baby skulls, too.

I wonder if they'll be offering a kit version of this gun that would work with ARs.

Oh, and the Left is already panicking over it:
https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/14/gun-control-groups-target-jr-15-rifle-designed-to-teach-kids-safety/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: the JR15
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
If I were designing that I'd put a normal AR safety into it and add a secondary  "parent" safety or lockout.  That way the kids can still train to engage the safety as soon as they come off the sights, but the rifle can be locked out.

Skulls don't bother me.  Memento Mori and all that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 10:58:02 PM »
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-15-22?sku=10213
S&W has the MP-15-22, but it appears to be almost twice the weight.  The one I have fired felt very light to me. 

It seems silly to me for activists to get upset over this new rifle.  There are or have been lots of rifles designed to better work for younger shooters.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 01:36:06 AM »
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-15-22?sku=10213
S&W has the MP-15-22, but it appears to be almost twice the weight.  The one I have fired felt very light to me. 

It seems silly to me for activists to get upset over this new rifle.  There are or have been lots of rifles designed to better work for younger shooters.

Ha! Surely you've realized by now that the only people we call activists are those upset over non-problems. Activists addressing genuine problems are called terrorists, insurectionists, conspiracy theorists...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 06:14:39 AM »
I don’t have a problem with any of it but I don’t understand the point of the safety. Every firearm I’ve owned has has an adult grade safety, from the crossbolt shotgun style safety on my BB gun to my .22 rifles.

Using it as an adult would taught me to do it right every time. My cousin had a pump action BB gun that had a safety that engaged every time the action was run and that was annoying as hell. I don’t like Mickey Mouse gizmos that are designed to do it for you. If the parent needs to control the safety of the gun lock it up in your safe or out a cable lock in it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 06:58:56 AM »
If I were designing that I'd put a normal AR safety into it and add a secondary  "parent" safety or lockout.  That way the kids can still train to engage the safety as soon as they come off the sights, but the rifle can be locked out.
I haven’t seen it in operation, but it looks to me like that is exactly what they have. They certainly have a traditional safety where it belongs, and I assume the right-side safety is in addition to, not instead of.

I don’t love the 7.5” barrel with a welded tube to make it 16”.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »
I haven’t seen it in operation, but it looks to me like that is exactly what they have. They certainly have a traditional safety where it belongs, and I assume the right-side safety is in addition to, not instead of.

I don’t love the 7.5” barrel with a welded tube to make it 16”.

They did say that they were planning to offer a full 16” barrel with threaded muzzle in the future.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 11:43:24 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 02:45:37 PM »
I didn't realize the skull logo was on the gun itself. Gross.