Author Topic: *Active shooter on campus*  (Read 3821 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
*Active shooter on campus*
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »
Texas Tech University PD officer shot and killed by a student. TTU PD brought the student in for questioning after a welfare check uncovered drug paraphernalia in the student's dorm room.

http://m.kcbd.com/kcbd/db/331352/content/IvergnT7

Campus is on lockdown. Campus-wide shelter in place notice in effect. No other info at this time. At home but on every electronic comms device I own trying to make sure my crews and all our students have.gotten word.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
Re: *Active shooter on campus*
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
Lubbock PD has confirmed the suspect is in custody. Apprehension was less than a quarter mile from the TTU PD station.

Updated information is that the suspect pulled his own weapon during questioning.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:47:18 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »
Wow. I'm guessing the sex toy brigade will savor this for a long time to come. (Yeah, he probably didn't have a carry permit, but that won't matter.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:48:43 PM »
(Yeah, he probably didn't have a carry permit, but that won't matter.)

Information is that the suspect was 19. Minimum age for LTC in Texas is 21. Won't matter, though. The anti campus-carry crowd is going to have a field day.

Brad
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
Information is that the suspect was 19. Minimum age for LTC in Texas is 21. Won't matter, though. The anti campus-carry crowd is going to have a field day.

Poster child for why lawful students should be allowed to carry. The law breakers obviously aren't going to follow the law, so why should the law-abiding be at a disadvantage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
TTU PD   brought a suspect in without a frisk?   How does a gun get by....or don't campus police search for weapons? ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
TTU PD   brought a suspect in without a frisk?   How does a gun get by....or don't campus police search for weapons? ???

Rest asssured that question is already being asked on several levels.

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »
Poster child for why lawful students should be allowed to carry. The law breakers obviously aren't going to follow the law, so why should the law-abiding be at a disadvantage.

:rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »

Rest asssured that question is already being asked on several levels.

Brad

Maybe he used Nicaraguan Carry... that is, lower than Mexican Carry.

Terry runs and hides...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
It's hard to figure out how this actually started from the news stories I've seen and heard.

Was the student/perp screaming in pain, shouting for help, or in some other obvious distress, or did the campus cops use "Welfare Check" as an excuse to search & seize from a suspected druggie without a warrant?

He was "brought in for questioning" . . . was he actually under arrest (and Mirandized) at the time, or did they obtain his consent for transport & questioning without arresting and Mirandizing him when they hauled him in?

No matter what, it's really sad when an LEO dies in the line of duty . . . but since it's clear that the campus cops dropped the ball on searching the perp, I'm wondering if the campus cops were following proper police procedures during the rest of this encounter.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »

Was the student/perp screaming in pain, shouting for help, or in some other obvious distress, or did the campus cops use "Welfare Check" as an excuse to search & seize from a suspected druggie without a warrant?

As I recall from my short stint in the dorms almost 20 years ago, the agreement you sign to live in the dorms consents to searches and checks by campus security/PD and the RA's.  If that was true then in my tiny little school, I'd suspect it's even more true now.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
No matter what, it's really sad when an LEO dies in the line of duty . . .

True, and this is something I should have mentioned in my earlier response. I don't suppose his family will ever read this, but I belatedly offer my condolences.

(I don't complain about people "politicizing" events, as I do it, myself.)

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
As I recall from my short stint in the dorms almost 20 years ago, the agreement you sign to live in the dorms consents to searches and checks by campus security/PD and the RA's.  If that was true then in my tiny little school, I'd suspect it's even more true now.

This.

That being said, dorm rooms are tiny. With very little exception everything is in full view from the doorway. Unless it was in a drawer, closet, or enclosure, drug paraphernalia would be openly visible from the moment he answered the door.

No matter what, it's really sad when an LEO dies in the line of duty . . . but since it's clear that the campus cops dropped the ball on searching the perp, I'm wondering if the campus cops were following proper police procedures during the rest of this encounter.

Lubbock PD and Texas DPS have been called in. I would be surprised if the DPS doesn't take point. TTU PD simply doesn't have the resources for this kind of thing.

The whole campus is reeling. Sure, Lubbock has it's share of criminal stupidity but the TTU campus is a relatively genteel place. Something like this is so foreign that people will be a long time wrapping their heads around the fact that it actually happened.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
I honestly don't remember the agreements I signed to live on campus, but I suspect that part of it was acceptance of entry/searches.

I know that at the start of break periods RAs would do a final sweep to make sure that everything was unplugged and secured.

We were allowed to keep our fridges plugged in, but the idiot RA unplugged mine anyway and everything in it rotted. I went absolute apeshit on him and filed a complaint with the Dean of Residential Life (complete with pictures) because it was a college owned rental fridge and they had a policy that if it was returned dirty, you paid a big fee, and this thing was unbelievably gross after 2 weeks being closed up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
*Update*

http://www.fox34.com/story/36556997/student-arrested-after-texas-tech-police-officer-killed-on-campus

http://www.kcbd.com/story/36561657/im-the-one-who-shot-your-friend-accused-shooter-charged-with-capital-murder-officer-identified

According to the story the officer was processing an arrest. Back turned to the suspect, no cuffs. Probably thinking he was giving the kid a break by treating him nicely.

People wonder why cops tend to err on the side of extreme caution when dealing with suspects, up to and including physicality and use of restraints even when they don't seem needed. Well... case and point.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:48:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

Case in point, actually.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
Did the suspect have the gun or did he grab and use the Officers sidearm ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
He was "brought in for questioning" . . . was he actually under arrest (and Mirandized) at the time, or did they obtain his consent for transport & questioning without arresting and Mirandizing him when they hauled him in?

Either way, I've been frisked before sitting in the front seat of a cop's car to wait out of the sun for a wrecker.  He let me keep my pocket knife, but verified that I still had it on me when I got out; that way he knew no weapons got left in the car.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
Suspect's gun. According to reports the officer's gun was still in his holster after the suspect fled. Spotty reports about a gun being recovered near where the perp was apprehended.

Brad
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
Did the suspect have the gun or did he grab and use the Officers sidearm ?

He had it.  The officer that responded to the gunshot found the dead officer's firearm still in the holster and a single case on the floor.

According to the story the officer was processing an arrest. Back turned to the suspect, no cuffs. Probably thinking he was giving the kid a break by treating him nicely.

What I read was that the shooter wasn't even being arrested.  He was being given a standard no-arrest "anti-drug" briefing by the police hoping to scare them straight because sending college students to jail over minor stuff helps nobody.  They found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia, not actual illegal drugs.  Ergo, misdemeanor and probably a hard one to prosecute because a lot of college student's parents can come up with the money for a good lawyer if necessary.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »
^^^Wow.  Well, the young man's life is screwed now, as he did to the police officer. This being Texas and the death of a LE officer, I have no doubt that he will be getting a lethal injection some years down the road.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »
Charged with capital murder as of this afternoon. $5 mil bail.

I'm putting money on a plea of guilty and some legal maneuvering to get him a slightly lesser charge. The evidence against him is just too overwhelming for any attorney worth his J.D. to recommend otherwise. This, plus his prior run ins with the law (minor and mostly drug-related, from what I've seen) would have a jury handing him his behind in short order. Sure, they could play the under-the-influence or psychiatric condition cards but it better be damned impressive. The uber-conservative juries in these parts tend to dislike that defense tactic short of something overt, blatant, and easily observed.

There seems no premeditation and it has all the hallmarks of a spur-of-the-moment act. I could see his attorney making a valid run at second-degree murder in exchange for a guilty plea. If they were feeling lucky they might even try manslaughter. However, I don't see a judge giving that more than about 1.7 microseconds consideration before laughing them out of the court room.

Also... in all this I forgot to add that the TTU PD station is about 500' from my office. Had I stayed late as usual I would have been witness to much of what happened. I also missed the lock down by a span of mere minutes because my professor let out class a little early. If I have the timing correct I was driving by the PD building at pretty much the exact moment the shot rang out.  =(

Brad
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:31:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »
Sure, they could play the under-the-influence or psychiatric condition cards but it better be damned impressive. The uber-conservative juries in these parts tend to dislike that defense tactic short of something overt, blatant, and easily observed.

Irrelevant, really; remember that in Texas insanity is less a defense than a delaying tactic.  It would win him a stay in the looney bin until a shrink says he's fit to stand trial, (if ever) and then maybe get him a possibility of parole in 10-20 more years if he can keep them convinced he was truly out of his mind at the time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
Does death of an LEO bump up the murder charges to capital?  I thought they had to prove premeditated to get capital murder and death penalty eligibility. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 10:08:04 PM »
Quick revisit because the trial just ended. Sorry sack of *expletive deleted*it got life without parole.

https://www.kcbd.com/2023/02/25/jury-sentences-hollis-daniels-life-prison/

Brad
-HankB