Author Topic: Child Support Question  (Read 1469 times)

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Child Support Question
« on: July 06, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey folks,

Hypothetical Situation:

I'm married to a woman who has an infant child with another man.  We want him to pay for the problem he caused.  Any possibility of collecting child support from him since we've gotten married?  What if my name's on the birth certificate?  Is that possible to un-do if there was proof it's not mine?  Is this a major problem?  

Thank You!

P.S. -  Feel free to have fun with this one.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Gun Runner

• friend
Child Support Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 08:32:21 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
you're fulfilling that need, so he doesn't have to pay
That's about what I was thinking, so I had to ask.  It might just depend on the judge.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Azrael256

• friend
Child Support Question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »
If you'll name a state, I'll pull up Lexis and look for you.

Child Support Question
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:35:37 AM »
In most states, the person the woman is married to is the legal father of child..which given today's technology is crap, but there you go.

Child Support Question
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 01:16:50 AM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
We want him to pay for the problem he caused.
So, he either commited a violent felony and should be in prison, or someone is being aleviated of thier own responsibility.

TarpleyG

• friend
Child Support Question
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 04:03:11 AM »
We want him to pay for the problem he caused
First thing I'd do is reevaluate your position as a father if you think the child is a problem.  That is likely a bigger issue than you and your wife collecting a few bucks.

Greg

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Child Support Question
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
In most states, the person the woman is married to is the legal father of child..which given today's technology is crap, but there you go.
Correct.  In most states, if you are married to the woman when the child is born, you are the father, no matter what the source of sperm.  

If I were you, I'd contact an attorney in your area that does family-law.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Child Support Question
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »
Well, it's usually a rebuttable presumption, Steve.

Gun, yes, most state statutes allow the custodial parent to collect support back to delivery expenses, which may be substantial depending (as always).  

Your name on the birth cert is usually a rebuttable presumption.  Relief from a paternity order because of new evidence (e.g. paternity tests) do transpire daily.

As Steve sez, it is within your best interest to consult an attorney who specializes in family law in your state.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gun Runner

• friend
Child Support Question
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 05:02:26 AM »
Quote from: Azrael256
If you'll name a state, I'll pull up Lexis and look for you.
Minnesota.  I don't know what a Lexis is, but I appreciate it, thank you.

Quote from: c_yeager
So, he either commited a violent felony and should be in prison, or someone is being aleviated of thier own responsibility.
Who's "being alleviated of their own responsibility" in this hypothetical situation?  Isn't the biological father 50% responsible?

Quote from: TarpleyG
First thing I'd do is reevaluate your position as a father if you think the child is a problem.  That is likely a bigger issue than you and your wife collecting a few bucks.

Greg
Father?  No.  Dad?  Yes.  The big issue is getting some money.

Perhaps if we were divorced and there was some DNA testing done she'd be in a better position to make the poor fool pay for this.