Author Topic: Question for the prepper types...  (Read 356 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Question for the prepper types...
« on: May 08, 2024, 10:25:11 PM »
I keep a variety of stuff, which I either use regularly, or have no problem dropping off at charities...

I just saw this, and got to thinking - could I actually get away with using a spoon of this instead of half-n-half or cream in my coffee? That way I would _have_ it and not have to go to the store and refrigerate the dairy stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYWVKO0/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LYWVKO0&pd_rd_w=u7cnr&content-id=amzn1.sym.7637af64-d2fc-47eb-8eb2-2c9487803957&pf_rd_p=7637af64-d2fc-47eb-8eb2-2c9487803957&pf_rd_r=RZ0BV5D7B5F68G2CSZ06&pd_rd_wg=K3BCT&pd_rd_r=08cbbe8f-42d6-4077-8efc-32b8a3355462&s=grocery&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Question for the prepper types...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:39:04 PM »
you should probably refrigerate this stuff.  natural foods place we shopped at when we lived in Urbana IL had dry whole milk.  It did not keep like the nonfat stuff does.

cream substitute?  yeah, probably.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 07:02:10 AM »
No. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. It needs to be kept in a cool, dry place. In fact, refrigeration can be detrimental because, in hot humid weather, it can draw humidity to the powder when you take it out of the fridge, and that's not a good thing.

But, just chunking in a teaspoonful into your coffee may not result in the texture you're looking for. The stuff can be difficult to dissolve.

Hoosier Hills recommends mixing it before hand with a blender and letting it sit in the fridge overnight, then using it like liquid cream.

Also note that it has a different taste from the real stuff, sort of like powdered milk has a different taste.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 09:16:16 AM »
Drink your coffee black, end of problem. Any other way displeases the coffee god.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 09:50:28 PM »
Amen.  And cold.  For some reason I prefer room temp coffee.  Don't know how the coffee sub-gods and saints feel about that.  I believe it reduces coffee staining on your teeth, but I also don't know how the tooth gods and goddesses feel about that, either.  I do keep some "Non-Dairy Creamer" in the back of the shelf and it's been there unopened for quite a number of years.

Just hobbled over to the kitchen cabinet, found it way in back, checked for the hell of it:  "Use by Oct 2007."  That's only 2 1/2 dog years.  You think it might explode or anything?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 10:02:32 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 09:56:38 PM »
Amen. And cold.  For some reason I prefer room temp coffee.  Don't know how the coffee sub-gods and saints feel about that.  I believe it reduces coffee staining on your teeth, but I also don't know how the tooth gods and goddesses feel about that, either.  I do keep some "Non-Dairy Creamer" in the back of the shelf and it's been there unopened for quite a number of years.

Just struggled up from the couch and hobbled over to the kitchen cabinet, found it way in back, checked for the hell of it:  "Use by Oct 2007."  That's only 2 1/2 dog years.  You think it might explode or anything?

Terry, 230RN

I feel the same way, i just don't care for hot drinks. When flying long night flights I would take a couple of cups of fresh coffee and put in our little fridge so that when I really wanted a pick me up it would be cold.

bob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 01:25:19 PM by BobR »

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 10:48:49 PM »
I prefer my black coffee warm-ish, hot but cool enough to drink without having to sip it.  A cup of hot with an ice cube melted in it is close enough.

I do drink more cold coffee than hot though.  The thermos I take to work is not well insulated, if it even has any.  By the time my first break rolls around I can chug it, and do.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:56:56 PM »
I try to stay ready for the end of the world but if the post apocalyptic wasteland involves drinking cold coffee I hope I go in the first bright flash.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 09:44:09 AM »
Amen.  And cold.  For some reason I prefer room temp coffee.  Don't know how the coffee sub-gods and saints feel about that.  I believe it reduces coffee staining on your teeth, but I also don't know how the tooth gods and goddesses feel about that, either.  I do keep some "Non-Dairy Creamer" in the back of the shelf and it's been there unopened for quite a number of years.

Just hobbled over to the kitchen cabinet, found it way in back, checked for the hell of it:  "Use by Oct 2007."  That's only 2 1/2 dog years.  You think it might explode or anything?

Terry, 230RN

I doubt it would explode.  There is a good chance, that were you to spill some on the counter, it would look up at you and say, "Hello, there!"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 01:28:42 PM »
I try to stay ready for the end of the world but if the post apocalyptic wasteland involves drinking cold coffee I hope I go in the first bright flash.

Maybe it was a southern thing. My mother would drink hot coffee in the morning and by noon or so she would have switched over to iced coffee, especially in the summer.

In the post apocalyptic wasteland you would probably be reduced to drinking chicory coffee anyhow, not a lot of coffee beans grown in the US, but they would come pre-roasted if you could find them. :)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »
For *expletive deleted*ck's sake...

a TRUE prepper would use the bright flash to warm his coffee!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:37 AM »
For *expletive deleted*ck's sake...

a TRUE prepper would use the bright flash to warm his coffee!

Exactly.  Beautiful sunrise to drink coffee and watch.  Even if it is the wrong direction and really quick.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.