Author Topic: reason.com  (Read 1323 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
reason.com
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »
I signed-up so I could post a comment on one of their articles.  My comment was never posted, but I received an email from solidopinion.com about my new membership, and apparently I'm supposed to pay them if I want my comments to be visible.  *expletive deleted*ck that.  :mad:  My comments might not be particularly valuable, but they are content for their website.  If anything, they should be paying me a nominal sum.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: reason.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 07:16:06 PM »
I signed-up so I could post a comment on one of their articles.  My comment was never posted, but I received an email from solidopinion.com about my new membership, and apparently I'm supposed to pay them if I want my comments to be visible.  *expletive deleted*ck that.  :mad:  My comments might not be particularly valuable, but they are content for their website.  If anything, they should be paying me a nominal sum.

reason and libertarians have changed a bit over the last couple decades.  The magazine went downhill after Posterel left the helm to lesser men.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
I read it from the late 70s through (I think) the early 90s.  It was quite different, and more interesting, then, than later.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »

There are two different commenting sections: the paid comments, which no one actually pays any attention to except for one particularly mentally-ill troll, and the regular comments, which are free.

solidopinion are the paid ones. Going here should get you signed up for the regular, free comment section.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »
I'm signed up for free commenting, but there's too much of a disconnect between the articles (which I like) and the comments (ugh).
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
Having to pay to play seems appropriate for a libertarian rag. One recalls the wrangling over Napster, during which, Rush Limbaugh staked out his position by putting a bunch of his website content behind a paywall.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife