Author Topic: Sequestration has another, unexpected side-effect?  (Read 1371 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Sequestration has another, unexpected side-effect?
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
From co-worker today:

"I heard from a guy at Gander yesterday that sequestration has curtailed ammo purchases by the US military and other agencies, including Homeland Security who had 1.2 billion dollars’ worth of ammo (~100 years supply) on order, and that ammo sales should “return to normal” within 3-4 weeks for civilians."

If true, that would be nice.

However, Uncle Sam normally purchases in advance for complete orders, no?  
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

dogmush

• friend
Re: Sequestration has another, unexpected side-effect?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:01 PM »
no, sometimes we stagger them, and sometimes we pay on delivery.

Usually up front for small stuff, and deposit/full payment on completion for bigger contracts.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »
"I heard from a guy at Gander yesterday that sequestration has curtailed ammo purchases by the US military and other agencies, including Homeland Security who had 1.2 billion dollars’ worth of ammo (~100 years supply) on order, and that ammo sales should “return to normal” within 3-4 weeks for civilians.

I heard from a guy at the LGS...

Usually results in complete bullscat.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »

The DHS thing is for FLETC, and other agencies are hopping on it. It's not that insane of an order. All federal law enforcement go through training at FLETC, and that includes shooting. It's bundled for cost savings, and to get wookie suiters in a tizzy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
*expletive deleted*ing gun store rumors...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »
The DHS thing is for FLETC, and other agencies are hopping on it. It's not that insane of an order. All federal law enforcement go through training at FLETC, and that includes shooting. It's bundled for cost savings, and to get wookie suiters in a tizzy.

This, and the contracts are all already in the pipeline. 

And since the lion's share of it was in .40, shrug... I don't really know how much it would affect supply or manufacturing capacity for everything else, unless it's taking entire machines running other calibers out of service and having all their dies replaced to stamp/shape/load .40. 

The logistics of that are something I'm not really sure of.

One thing I'm hopeful for is that for a "blip" like this in demand, a smart business won't go ramping up capacity future years won't support, but perhaps they will modernize or upgrade the existing capacity. Again, no idea if ATK and their ilk are doing so, but it would help with other supply chain interruptions, faster machines, maybe newer tech etc. less breakdowns etc.  ???
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
From co-worker today:

"I heard from a guy at Gander yesterday that sequestration has curtailed ammo purchases by the US military and other agencies, including Homeland Security who had 1.2 billion dollars’ worth of ammo (~100 years supply)

Woo!  Hoo! 

except for that "heard it from a gunstore guy thing."

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
This, and the contracts are all already in the pipeline. 

And since the lion's share of it was in .40, shrug... I don't really know how much it would affect supply or manufacturing capacity for everything else, unless it's taking entire machines running other calibers out of service and having all their dies replaced to stamp/shape/load .40. 

The logistics of that are something I'm not really sure of.

One thing I'm hopeful for is that for a "blip" like this in demand, a smart business won't go ramping up capacity future years won't support, but perhaps they will modernize or upgrade the existing capacity. Again, no idea if ATK and their ilk are doing so, but it would help with other supply chain interruptions, faster machines, maybe newer tech etc. less breakdowns etc.  ???

One of the guys I hunt with just retired from Federal a few years ago when they switched to 12 hour shifts. He spent years making brass from cups, and said switching a line took about a week to get back in production. They only switched when they had several months surplus of one caliber and backorders for another. 40 S&W is common enough they will just keep cranking it out. On the huge assumption that this LGS rumor is true, the only difference it might make is you might see more 40s&W on the shelf sooner.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
.40 S&W is about the only pistol (semi-auto) caliber I ever see on the shelves these days.  We need more 40S&W like Custer needed another Indian!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
I could use some 40 S&W.  =D

Sequestration is the biggest joke I have ever seen.  I figure they will start closing National Parks now....  just in time for spring....
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
I could use some 40 S&W.  =D

Sequestration is the biggest joke I have ever seen.  I figure they will start closing National Parks now....  just in time for spring....

I am not finding it particularly funny, watching my mission/pay get cut (when I provide a fairly valuable service), while entitlements are off limits, the top-heavy military is seeing only cuts to lower enlisted, rather than to the legions of field grade officers who don't do much, and the gov is still paying for tanks/F16s to Egypt.

I'm doing what I can to get into the private sector, but in the meantime I have to accomplish the SAME mission with fewer resources (both hours and equipment) to do so.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
As the White House said... make it hurt!  Try making half of what you normally earn and still pay the bills.  That is what this president has done to the economy.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)