Author Topic: Media idiocy  (Read 1322 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Media idiocy
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
I have KING 5 news playing in the background.  The weekend anchor was covering the FedEx aircraft fire at the Ft. Lauderdale airport.  My ears perked up when she said the pilots were able to eject.  Huh, I never knew MD-10s were equipped with ejection seats.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Media idiocy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
New feature installed by FedEx.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
New feature installed by FedEx.

Parafreight.Or would they just call it FallEx?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »

Parafreight.Or would they just call it FallEx?

FedEject?  FedExEx?  ExFedEx?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
FedEx must have installed self-healing aluminum skin as well.  In the film, the aircraft skin above the cockpit is clearly intact.  I guess it wasn't dramatic enough to say the crew crawled through a window and descended on a rope.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
Sounds like another inappropriate use of the thesaurus.  They think "similar" or "related" words meant to stimulate thinking (which is what tthe thesaurus is for) were actually synonyms.

I'm surprised they didn't have them "spew" from the plane... or "be banished".  Work backwards from this:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/eject?s=t

>:D :facepalm:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
"Hello, KING5, you screwed up the report on the FedEx plane fire.  Ain't no ejection seats in those old DC-10 freighters."
"But, but, but that's what the AP wrote!"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
Sounds like another inappropriate use of the thesaurus.  They think "similar" or "related" words meant to stimulate thinking (which is what tthe thesaurus is for) were actually synonyms.

I'm surprised they didn't have them "spew" from the plane... or "be banished".  Work backwards from this:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/eject?s=t

That's just one of the unintended consequences of the publishing industry's move to reformat thesauri into "Thesaurus in Dictionary Form." Once you recast a thesaurus into a list of words, it becomes functionally indistinguishable from a dictionary of synonyms. I currently have six real thesauri on my desk, ranging from a hard-cover edition to a paperback version of the hardcover edition, to a somewhat smaller version of the paperback ... and then three copies of a smaller version that was published a number of years ago by PocketBooks. I don't use them as often now as I used to, but IMHO a real thesaurus is indispensible to anyone who wants to write.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
That model was a BOTTOM ejecting unit...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
That model was a BOTTOM ejecting unit...

LOL !

That's just one of the unintended consequences of the publishing industry's move to reformat thesauri into "Thesaurus in Dictionary Form." Once you recast a thesaurus into a list of words, it becomes functionally indistinguishable from a dictionary of synonyms. I currently have six real thesauri on my desk, ranging from a hard-cover edition to a paperback version of the hardcover edition, to a somewhat smaller version of the paperback ... and then three copies of a smaller version that was published a number of years ago by PocketBooks. I don't use them as often now as I used to, but IMHO a real thesaurus is indispensible to anyone who wants to write.

Twue, twue, vewy twue.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.