Author Topic: Fort Bragg, North Carolina  (Read 13081 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Fort Bragg, North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 09:36:48 AM »
This reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit . . .

The Navy used to run recruiting commercials showing sailors on liberty in exotic locations . . . you may remember them, like "Port of Call - Far East" and "Port of Call - Mediterranean"

You get the idea.

SNL designed their own commercial . . . "Port of Call - Bayonne, New Jersey."

"You will meet interesting people <insert shot of druggies and derelicts on skid row> and receive valuable training <insert shot of guy scrubbing toilets>"

IIRC, the Navy was not amused . . .

C'mon dude, Bayonne isn't that bad.  Thats my hometown buddy!  *punches hank*  MUHAHAHAHA.  grin
But yeah, that Fort Bragg stuff is pretty damn bad.  Although, I think that guy is being a bit of a pansy by standing in the sink.  How much plunging can you do effectively like that?

Look at what's coming up out of the drain.

Would you want to stand in that without hipwaders, especially if they wouldn't issue you new boots? Can you say "athlete's foot from hell", "ringworm", and all sorts of other nastiness?

Best you could do is to tie two layers of plastic trash bags around your legs to waterproof them.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »
Another of my coworkers made the point yesterday that the 1st Sgt and Battalion Commander are very likely no longer 1st Stg and BC.

Exactly.  Poop may come up out of the floor drains, but it also rolls downhill from the now-embarrased Vice Chief of Staff through battalion channels and the former First Sergeant and Battalion Commander.  Keep watching the news, you'll see almost to the minute when they will be offered retirement.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
Don't these guys have tents?

Aren't they trained to use them?

If it is a better option...

Huh?  How would tent life be better?  Oh wait, you despise the military.  Never mind.

Umm, because you are not residing in feces?
Zeke

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »
Don't these guys have tents?

Aren't they trained to use them?

If it is a better option...

Huh?  How would tent life be better?  Oh wait, you despise the military.  Never mind.

I'm with Zeke on this one.  I'll deal with a little mo' nature if I can avoid the poo.

BTW, I resided in some stinkin' ancient barracks at Ft Benning.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »

Yeah, because ALL military barracks at every base are awash in sewage.   rolleyes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
With any luck, some guy with a star on his chest showed up with a box of toothbrushes, and started passing them out to the chain of command.

And if he's a real man, he got down on his hands and knees and started in first.

Blog under construction

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »

Yeah, because ALL military barracks at every base are awash in sewage.   rolleyes

If the barracks I am allocated are, I welcome Tent City.

What's to decide?
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 07:34:16 PM »
Frankly, I didn't see a darn thing in those photos that couldn't be fixed by application of a few dollars for procurement, and a hundred or so soldier-days of labor.

Vets - I ask you this - did you EVER see a stair railing worn down to metal? Much less allowed to rust? If it sat still, it got painted!

I had the same thought about some of those issues, mostly the "filthy" stair rails.  Maybe paratroopers are too dainty for sweeping, but I'm pretty sure we cleaned our own barracks, in my Mechanized unit.  Tongue  But still, the father has a point.  The barracks should never have gotten into that condition in the first place, and they especially should not have been that way for guys returning from a tough tour. 

I believe the video also mentioned lead-based paint.  If the peeling paint is truly lead-based, that's not something you can do with your troops, even if they ARE highly-expendable paratroopers.  Tongue  I once spent a day or so scraping paint off a range shed, before some passing officer pulled over and put a stop to the whole thing.  We had to go get blood tests, and never were allowed to finish that job.

Quote from: Ezekiel
I guess you haven't:
Read the article.
Seen the video.
Spent much time thinking before you posted the most offensive bit of jackassery you could muster.

Nobody is "residing in feces."  The feces is in the bathroom.  If you had anything but the most abject scorn for military types, you might have suggested that they be provided alternative washing facilities, rather than glibly suggesting they take to their tents, after fifteen months in the 'Stan. 

And if you had bothered to see what measures WERE being taken, you might have noticed that the man who made the complaints to begin with now says (in the article which is linked) that many of the problems have been addressed with repairs, rather than by moving the whole company into tents. 

And jfru, you need some coffee, bro. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
If the barracks I am allocated are, I welcome Tent City.

What's to decide?

Easy - you wouldn't be in that position, regardless.

1.  You hate the military, and have a track record of it here at APS. I can link to the posts, if you like.

2.  The first incredulous look you give a drill instructor would be your last. 

Ask me how I know...

taurusowner

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »
When I was a wee little Private at Ft. Leonard Wood just last summer, our barracks were not bad at all.  There are some crappy ones on post, but we got put in some of those portable trailer-like buildings, one platoon per building.  They were pretty new looking to me, and everything worked.  Right now, however, I actually am living out of a Tent City in Honduras.  It's ungodly hot, but the facilities are agreeable.  We have portable showers and latrines built right inside shipping containers.  Other than being a bit cramped, you can almost convince yousrself you're inside a real building's latrine while inside.  So for this Ft. bragg situation, seperate and functioning showers and latrines are a possibility.  No one would have to have been moved into tents in order to have a more sanitary place to live. 

I would never tell someone who just got back to "suck it up and deal with it", they deserve better.  Though these soldier are probably just glad they aren't getting mortar attacked while in those ####ty latrines.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 04:53:15 AM »
If you had anything but the most abject scorn for military types, you might have suggested that they be provided alternative washing facilities, rather than glibly suggesting they take to their tents, after fifteen months in the 'Stan.

I am sure that outdoor shower/restroom facilities would be provided. 

And if you had bothered to see what measures WERE being taken, you might have noticed that the man who made the complaints to begin with now says (in the article which is linked) that many of the problems have been addressed with repairs, rather than by moving the whole company into tents.

Then what's the problem?
Zeke

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:05 AM »
And jfru, you need some coffee, bro. 

Granted, I work better caffeinated.

Also, I am in accord with a bunch of other folks that a month's worth of company-sized details with appropriate supplies (paint, scrapers, lead abatement gear, etc) could deal with 80% of what was shown.

Still, I am not a big fan of backed up sewers and sewage.  I would give up some brick & mortar comforts to avoid that situation, especially since that is beyond the capacity of a CO to throw men at it and get it fixed.

Besides, some of the tent/temp shelters I used when in the service were pretty swell.  I would have preferred such to the year I spent at Ft Benning on the third floor of the barracks when they took a year to redo the HVAC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »
Besides, some of the tent/temp shelters I used when in the service were pretty swell.

That's the point I was making...

Some of those things are better than places I've seen folks permanently reside in.
Zeke

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 06:57:46 AM »
Another of my coworkers made the point yesterday that the 1st Sgt and Battalion Commander are very likely no longer 1st Stg and BC.

Exactly.  Poop may come up out of the floor drains, but it also rolls downhill from the now-embarrased Vice Chief of Staff through battalion channels and the former First Sergeant and Battalion Commander.  Keep watching the news, you'll see almost to the minute when they will be offered retirement.  Wink

But then, the new 1st Sgt. and CO will submit requests for funding to fix the issue.  It will get lost in translation, and they will get a new parade deck, or MWR will get new boats.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »
Spent much time thinking before you posted the most offensive bit of jackassery you could muster.

How is saying that he would rather sleep in a tent than sleep in an unhealthy environment "the most offensive bit of jackassery he could muster."? Are you saying that they should just not complain and suck it up?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

How is saying that he would rather sleep in a tent than sleep in an unhealthy environment "the most offensive bit of jackassery he could muster."? Are you saying that they should just not complain and suck it up?

No.

He's saying that -- because I have no desire to worship R. Lee Ermey, on Mail Call, whilst fondling myself -- there must be something wrong with me.

If the barracks suck, put 'em in tents, outdoor latrines, whatever.  What's the issue?  It's a temporary measure.
Zeke

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 08:32:55 AM »
If the peeling paint is truly lead-based

Then it's not a danger unless you eat it.  If you sand it to remove then you make the lead airborne and breathable, then it's a problem. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
Because Zeke is suggesting a sledghammer approach to a screwdriver fix - relocate a battalion to tents to fix a backed-up sewer in one latrine, which has already been fixed, according to the latest news reports.

Freakazoid, if you'd search posts under Zeke's handle, you'd see a trend.  I'll let you decide what that trend reveals. 

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't ask Zeke for any advice regarding things military.   undecided

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »
Because Zeke is suggesting a sledghammer approach to a screwdriver fix - relocate a battalion to tents to fix a backed-up sewer in one latrine, which has already been fixed, according to the latest news reports.

Freakazoid, if you'd search posts under Zeke's handle, you'd see a trend.  I'll let you decide what that trend reveals. 

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't ask Zeke for any advice regarding things military.   undecided

(sigh)  You relocate the ones that have a backed up latrine.

Until it isn't backed up, anymore.

This isn't difficult.
Zeke

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
You know...

I'm going to have to agree with the tent solution on this one.

What is wrong with relocating the troops to barracks tents temporarily while a facility is upgraded?

Every indication I've seen is that the barracks tents of today are not the barracks tents of the 1940s. Portable heat pump units provide heating and cooling, electricity, the whole schmear.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:09 AM »
The only problem with temporary housing is it tends to become not so temporary.  I saw that many times in the Army.

There is national attention to this so I doubt this concern applies to this group but it would to others...

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »
What is wrong with relocating the troops to barracks tents temporarily while a facility is upgraded?

Every indication I've seen is that the barracks tents of today are not the barracks tents of the 1940s. Portable heat pump units provide heating and cooling, electricity, the whole schmear.

That's what I am saying!!!  Smiley  Although I do understand the noted bureaucratic method of the "temporary" becoming the "norm."

It is to be avoided.
Zeke

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
For everyone suggesting tents, it isn't always a great solution.

First of all most of the tents available are already overseas.

Second, where are you going to put up portable latrines?  Most active duty bases don't have the infastructure in place to support them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »
For everyone suggesting tents, it isn't always a great solution.

First of all most of the tents available are already overseas.

Second, where are you going to put up portable latrines?  Most active duty bases don't have the infastructure in place to support them.

I don't see much usable equipment left outside even NG armories here. They even took all the howitzers that were in a row in the side yard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
Moving into tents solves nothing.  The soldiers need latrines and showers.  Tents do not have latrines or showers.  This means cat-holes, porta-potties, some type of field shower point, perhaps.  Fine.  But why not leave your beds and your belongings in the barracks?  Whatever arrangements are made for squatting, shaving and showering, you don't need to live in tents to take advantage of it. 

Moving into tents means a loss of electricity, climate control and security.  One of the complaints in the video is a barracks room door with a bad lock.  Tents would multiply that problem by about a hundred. 

How is saying that he would rather sleep in a tent than sleep in an unhealthy environment "the most offensive bit of jackassery he could muster."?

Because I know his attitude toward the military, and his general arrogance.  Given that, I naturally read (and still read) his comment as "They were stupid enough to join the military.  They must enjoy living in squalid conditions.  Why don't they quit whining, and go set up their tents?"  Such was his opinion of military folk in previous threads.

Edit:  Zeke, if you don't want your comments taken that way, perhaps you should do all of us a favor, and cease commenting on military matters.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife