Author Topic: Logistics of the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition?  (Read 15564 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Logistics of the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
Okay, so we're all gonna jump on some 75 foot repurposed tuna boat that is sporting a helipad for our Little Bird, bring EBR's/pistols/cutlasses/eyepatches, mount old Ma Deuce up front and head out for the high seas adventures awaiting us off the Somali coast.

Sweet. =D

How are we gettin' gas to make it all the way there?  And food?

'Cuz we ain't gonna get let in to any port I know of.

Do we have enough international acquaintances and friends around the world that we can be shuttled in for wenching shore leaves on a rotational basis, and they can bring food, grog and fuel back to us in exchange for our plundered booty?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Logistics of the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
That tuna boat (smells like tuna...) needs VHF Satcom, so the B-52H can get final course correction on the waypoints prior to IP Inbound. 

(You were planning on having some serious close air support, weren't you?) ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
If we're registered to the US, can we re-enter US ports with legally owned US weapons?

What US ports are available on "that side" of the world?

Would letters of marque grant us access to the same ports the Navy can pull in to?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
Thing is you need a boat that looks good and easy enough to steal/pirate/forced boarding. Basically surrender the craft then you ambush the pirating bastards when they are with in point blank range. Too much ocean for one ship to go chasing stolen ships.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
First, you put a clay thrower on the stern.  A nice one, too.  Something that will hold a lot of birds and runs automatically.  Then maybe a pulley system on a boom so you can winch out targets to, oh, at least 25 yards or so.

And a bar.  Don't forget the bar for the after-hours brag fest where everyone can claim endless rounds of 25/25 skeet and trap, and one-hole 25 yard groups from their pistols.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I suggest that the boat is some sort of military surplus, retrofitted to look like an innocent civilian, non-threatening craft. Seems to me that we have a lot to choose from from our navy, since most of it seems to be moth balled/headed for the scrap heap these days. Seriously though, the biggest problem would be finding places to go into harbour to refuel & get more food and water. Not to mention ammo, I figure most countries won't be very excited about the prospects of us running rampant through all the gun shops, asking "Got any incendiary .50 BMG? We need like 4000 rounds of it!"
Also, how the hell would we finance it? Think it would fly to ask for 10% of the total value of the ship & cargo as a reward for finding it and bringing it back? I think quite a lot of folks who operate the shipping lines would scream "Piracy" again when they hear that...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
There could be some places we take port in the money we spend would double their GNP.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27:47 PM »
Why don't we just not tell any of the ports we enter that we're carrying weapons?  Concealed is concealed, even for Ma Deuce.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
Ma Deuce?  We'll need something bigger than a .50USMG.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
We need to ask a friendly shipping company if we can borrow a container ship for a few months. Stop at Dar Es Salaam and quietly let out the word that we have a ship full of AK's and ammo (that way we don't have to add lying to our rap sheet). Continue up the coast around the horn. Lay to near a well-known pirate cove (Arrr.) Turn out the lights, wait for the sound of motor boats. Throw up a starburst and let all hail bust loose. Good times.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
That's an interesting idea.  We could just use a ginormous cargo ship as our privateering vessel.  We could stock the thing with years worth of food, ammo, fuel, and scotch, all without filling more than a fraction of the hold.

We wouldn't need a friendly port.  We could become our own floating port and stay out at sea almost indefinitely.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
Ma Deuce?  We'll need something bigger than a .50USMG.
What exactly is this Pirate Expedition supposed to do? Board pirate-owned ships or help retrieve pirate-captured ships? If the former, by all means crack out the howitzers. The Ukrainskis might get ticked off if we sunk another ship full of tanks, or the Saudis if we blew open their shiny new oil tanker.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
Board pirate-owned ships or help retrieve pirate-captured ships?

We can retrieve pirate-captured ships and get paid by the companies discreetly. There is more money in that. All we need is a SCUBA diving assault team who practice CQB and point-shooting all the time, an innocent looking mother-ship, commercial rebreathers, black market weapons and ammo, boarding gear, agents to negotiate with the companies and arms dealers, a good cover story, and alot of free time and money to get started.

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »
We could stock the thing with years worth of food, ammo, fuel, and scotch,

Or six months worth of food and a year and half of Scotch.  :D

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
If somebody can help me get a cutlass I can mount as a bayonet on an EBR, I'm in.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »
Why don't we just buy a submarine from the Russians.  I bet we could get one cheap.

It would be more fun to come up underneath those critters and smash their boat and sink it.  Then we could wager on how long it would take the survivors to drown.  Or, we could get bus tours of retired folks to pay for the trip.  Give 'em free food and let 'em wager on the drownings.  They'd be lined up at the dock.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
Have you ever noticed that that inner little boy in you never goes away?  =D

TC

ETA: I like that in a man.
TC
RT Refugee

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
What exactly is this Pirate Expedition supposed to do? Board pirate-owned ships or help retrieve pirate-captured ships? If the former, by all means crack out the howitzers. The Ukrainskis might get ticked off if we sunk another ship full of tanks, or the Saudis if we blew open their shiny new oil tanker.

Killjoy :-P

A .50 has many advantages.  It's useful for anti-boat and anti personnel.  No big Saudi tanker or Ukrainian freighter is going to be harmed beyond repair from a few little half inch holes  :laugh:

But, since you insist, we'll have to add a few Mag-58's to the equation to balance out the overkill that is Ma Duece.  :cool:

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
Waitaminnit here you guys: anti-piracy is done hand-to-hand with pistols and dirks. Yelling OORAH! as you gut them on THEIR boat.

You guys must all be Air Force.  :lol:

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »
Pikes, don't forget the pikes!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MikePGS

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
All we need is a SCUBA diving assault team who practice CQB and point-shooting all the time, an innocent looking mother-ship, commercial rebreathers, black market weapons and ammo, boarding gear, agents to negotiate with the companies and arms dealers, a good cover story, and alot of free time and money to get started.
Where is Gecko45 when you need him?
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 07:59:23 PM »
Where is Gecko45 when you need him?

Amphib wheelbarrow anyone?

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »
Pikes, don't forget the pikes!
Damn! I hate when I forget basic kit. Thanks, 280!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

MikePGS

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
Amphib wheelbarrow anyone?
Now we're talking :) (so long as its a tactical amphib wheelbarrow, of course)
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
Can we watch aaaaaaaarrrrrrggghh rated movies?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."