Author Topic: Ireland just banned ownership of handguns. To fight...gangs.  (Read 3584 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Ireland just banned ownership of handguns. To fight...gangs.
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
No new licenses. No renewal of licenses. Handgun owners must sell them or turn them in when the license expires. They did this "to fight gang violence".

Congratulation, Ireland.

GANG THUGS DON'T GET LICENSES, YOU IDIOTS!!!

Cabinet agrees to blanket ban on licensing of handguns
CONOR LALLY MICHAEL O'REGAN and

THE CABINET has agreed to a blanket ban on the licensing of handguns. Criminal justice legislation already being drafted will be amended to include provisions that will ban the granting of handgun licences under any circumstances.

Gun owners who already have weapons will not have their licences renewed, forcing them to sell their guns or face criminal prosecution.

The Government's decision to ban the weapons comes after a period in which their use has grown exponentially in the Republic, reaching 1,900 licences at present. In 2004, the High Court overturned a 30-year-old "temporary custody order" banning the licences.

Figures obtained two weeks ago by John Deasy TD (FG) revealed major inconsistencies in the way gardaí across the State were interpreting laws around the granting of handgun licences.

Some Garda districts have granted no licences for handguns while others in more sparsely populated areas have been much more liberal, issuing between 50 and 100 licences a year.

Speaking last night during a Dáil debate on a Fine Gael private members' motion calling for action on crime, Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said he would bring forward legislation to deal with the handguns issue.

Informed sources said the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill would be amended to ban the guns.

The matter was discussed at Cabinet yesterday where Mr Ahern secured agreement for a ban.

In July, Mr Justice Peter Charleton said there was "a pressing need" for drawing together into a clear law the multiple "piecemeal" rules on the control of handguns here.

He said reasonable people were "entitled to feel alarmed" about a recent large increase in the number of pistols licensed for private use. He made his comments during a High Court case in which a man challenged the Garda's refusal to grant him a gun licence.

Mr Ahern said the increasing prevalence of handguns had not come about as a result of any deliberate policy decision by the Government.

He had previously made clear his concern at the number and type of handguns being licensed.

"My bottom line is this," Mr Ahern continued, "while I recognise that the vast majority of handgun owners are responsible people, as Minister my concern is the safety of the public, particularly at a time of concern about gun crime."

Last night's debate followed the murder last Sunday week of Shane Geoghegan in Limerick. He was killed when members of a gang in the city shot him close to his home in Dooradoyle after mistaking him for a rival criminal.

© 2008 The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1119/1227026417220.html

And an editorial in the Evening Herald there...I expect to read the same in the New York Times in a couple of years.

The ban on handguns makes sense
November 19 2008

IT is quite extraordinary that the Cabinet has taken this long to crackdown on the licensing of handguns. While the majority of handgun owners may very well be responsible people, no one can ignore the explosion of gun crime and murder on city streets.

The increased growth of gun licences, in the four years since the High Court overturned a 30-year ruling banning them, is astonishing.

Almost 2,000 people currently have handguns for sporting purposes with a licence sanctioned by a local Garda Superintendent but the legislation is unclear and has been applied inconsistently.

Under the proposed new laws there will be no ambiguity. Those with licensed guns will have to get rid of them or face criminal prosecution.

This may discommode a few sporting enthusiasts but a ban would mean anyone caught with a handgun could offer no justification and would face the rigours of the law.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/editorial/the-ban-on-handguns-makes-sense-1544625.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:01:12 AM by Manedwolf »

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Ireland just banned ownership of handguns. To fight...gangs.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Isn't this the country where the IRA had (and has) something on the order of 2,500 AR180's, Full auto, at least 40 heavy machine guns and something like 3 tons of Semtex?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
Point of this story of greatest import:

Registration is just the first step to confiscation.

I will repeat this because so many people don't understand it:

Registration is the first step to confiscation.

Unfortunately, I'm preaching to the choir here.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:20 AM »
The problem with saying "Registration is the first step to confiscation" is that preaching to the choir is the ONLY place you get sympathy.

Everybody else WANTS guns confiscated, because they are idiots who don't mind being ruled over.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
More. Again, I expect this here in a couple of years. The logic for why this man can't have this gun will make you bang your head on the wall.

Arms dealer loses appeal over handgun
PADDY CLANCY

A LICENSED arms dealer has been banned from owning a handgun legally held by hundreds of Irish marksmen but which has been described in court as an "extremely dangerous" weapon.

Judge Kevin Kilrane described dealer Gavin Murray (25) as "an upright and decent man" but turned down his appeal against a ban on owning a Heckler and Koch USP Custom Sport gun that fires 9mm-calibre parabellum ammunition.

The judge said at Donegal District Court: "It is an extremely dangerous weapon. Gangsters and criminals would give their right arm to have one of them."

He added: "It would be my hope that legislation would be introduced absolutely banning all hand-held side-arms of this nature from individuals."

Mr Murray, Drimark, Donegal town, appealed against a refusal by Supt John Dennedy to grant him a licence for the gun.

The judge's ruling on Wednesday came as Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said he will be introducing a new ban on handguns, although small-calibre sporting pistols will be excluded.

Supt Dennedy said he refused a licence under powers authorising him to exercise his discretion. He was concerned Mr Murray did not have good reason for owning the firearm. He agreed Mr Murray held certificates for other firearms but his concerns about this particular gun related to its compactness, ease of concealment and its potential danger to the public.

Mr Murray, who was recently ranked fourth in a national shooting contest, said he travelled the country, for competitions.

Judge Kilrane said: "There is plenty of hostile territory from here to Cork. A large number of people would be fully aware he has the firearm and is transporting it. The risk of him being robbed of it is very, very high given the present state of the country and the times in which we live, with robberies, with violence and, worse, death on the streets."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1121/1227137525626.html

So he couldn't have it. Because criminals could take it from him in a bad area. 

WHAT.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:33:28 AM by Manedwolf »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
If you live in Ireland and still have a handgun license now would be a fine time to pick a new hobby. Like boating!  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
Isn't this the country where the IRA had (and has) something on the order of 2,500 AR180's, Full auto, at least 40 heavy machine guns and something like 3 tons of Semtex?
That seems a bit low...after all, they have no idea just how many loads that got in under their noses. IIRC, just one load of arms would carry a couple of hundred of AK-47's.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
If you live in Ireland and still have a handgun license now would be a fine time to pick a new hobby. Like boating!  =D
Or geocaching. Oh crap, did my GPS just fail after I buried my last cache, oh no, WHAT am I going to do? :laugh: =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
Gun owners who already have weapons will not have their licences renewed, forcing them to sell their guns or face criminal prosecution.

To whom will they sell their guns? There's no one in Ireland who can buy them save the police.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
Your headline is incorrect.

Ireland did not just ban handguns.

This court ruling, however, opens the door for a ban to some degree.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »
Almost 2,000 people currently have handguns for sporting purposes with a licence sanctioned by a local Garda Superintendent but the legislation is unclear and has been applied inconsistently.

2000 licensed handgun owners.

There's a political force for ya.

Let this be a lesson for anyone who's even remotely a Fudd on this board, or has Fudd tendencies.  Support the .50BMG shooters.  Support the NRA F-class shooters.  Support the EBR plinkin-shooters.  Support the CASS guys.  Support the long range hunters.  'Cuz if you give the anti's an inch... you'll be in that last group of 2000 someday with no one to support you.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »
From my cold dead hand......nuff said!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
You know what I'd like to see? In a place like (now) Ireland, the UK, or Chicago, I'd like to see "gun criminals" acquitted by juries based on the fact that "guns are banned, therefore this couldn't have happened". What do you suppose would happen then?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
Let this be a lesson for anyone who's even remotely a Fudd on this board, or has Fudd tendencies.  Support the .50BMG shooters.  Support the NRA F-class shooters.  Support the EBR plinkin-shooters.  Support the CASS guys.  Support the long range hunters.  'Cuz if you give the anti's an inch... you'll be in that last group of 2000 someday with no one to support you.

Not enough.

Support the people facing trial on non-violent 'gun crimes'. Donate to their legal defense.

Support attempts to ROLL back gun laws.

Remember that line on communism?

If our aim is only to remain were we are, we shall be driven back.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
Quote from: Mr Justice Peter Charleton
He said reasonable people were "entitled to feel alarmed" about a recent large increase in the number of pistols licensed for private use. He made his comments during a High Court case in which a man challenged the Garda's refusal to grant him a gun licence.

He's alarmed because ONE man wanted a license and asked why he was denied?

Too many Guinesses, I guess.

Here's the part we need to be showing to all the Fudds:

This may discommode a few sporting enthusiasts but a ban would mean anyone caught with a handgun could offer no justification and would face the rigours of the law.

Today it's "only" the handguns. Sorry, all you bullseye competitors, but you can still shoot rifles.

And then tomorrow they'll ban the rifles, and the year after they'll ban the shotguns ...

Is any of this sounding faintly historical?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:08:26 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »
Not enough.

Support the people facing trial on non-violent 'gun crimes'. Donate to their legal defense.

Support attempts to ROLL back gun laws.

Remember that line on communism?

If our aim is only to remain were we are, we shall be driven back.

Amen. 

Holding the line is good,  Pressing them into the sea is better.

Anybody ever hear how it ended for that guy on THR a few years back?  I think he was Army or National Guard, and got popped for having a loaded mag in his truck on the way back from the range?  I'm pretty sure we had a legal fund, but I drifted away from THR and don't recall the outcome.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
Maybe they should just stop issuing handgun license to gang members.   :lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
You know, that's so crazy it just might work!