Author Topic: Drawing of Jesus Nets Second Grader Suspension and Mandatory Psych Eval  (Read 16988 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
No, I am not making this up.  Here's the drawing:

A fellow parent asked me the the other day if we are going to send our kids to public school when they hit kindergarten.  It didn't take me long to say, "No."  Just one more reason...

http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x1903566059/Taunton-second-grader-suspended-over-drawing-of-Jesus

aunton —

A Taunton father is outraged after his 8-year-old son was sent home from school and required to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick-figure picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

The father said he got a call earlier this month from Maxham Elementary School informing him that his son, a second-grade student, had created a violent drawing. The image in question depicted a crucified Jesus with Xs covering his eyes to signify that he had died on the cross. The boy wrote his name above the cross.

“As far as I’m concerned, they’re violating his religion,” the incredulous father said.

He requested that his name and his son’s name be withheld from publication to protect the boy.

The student drew the picture shortly after taking a family trip to see the Christmas display at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, a Christian retreat site in Attleboro. He made the drawing in class after his teacher asked the children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas, the father said.

“I think what happened is that because he put Xs in the eyes of Jesus, the teacher was alarmed and they told the parents they thought it was violent,” said Toni Saunders, an educational consultant with the Associated Advocacy Center.

Saunders is working with the boy’s parents after a mutual acquaintance referred them to her.

“When I got that call, I was so appalled that I had to do something,” Saunders said.

“They weren’t looking at the fact that this is an 8-year-old child with special needs,” she added. “They made him leave school, and they recommended that a psychiatrist do an evaluation.”

The school, in fact, required the evaluation before the boy could return, the father said.

Maxham School principal Rebecca Couet referred all questions on the matter to the superintendent’s office.

Superintendent Julie Hackett said district policy prevents her from discussing a “confidential matter regarding a student.”

“Generally speaking, we have safety protocols in place,” Hackett said. “If a situation warrants it, we ask for outside safety evaluations if we have particular concerns about a child’s safety. We followed all the protocols in our system.”

Hackett refused to specifically discuss the student’s drawing or the school’s reaction to it.

The father was flabbergasted when he learned his son had to undergo an evaluation.

“When she told me he needed to be psychologically evaluated, I thought she was playing,” he said.

The man said his son, who gets specialized reading and speech instruction at school, has never shown any tendency toward violence.

“He’s never been suspended,” he said. “He’s 8 years old. They overreacted.”

The boy made the drawing and was sent home from school on Dec. 2. He went for the psychological evaluation — at his parents’ expense — the next day and was cleared to return to school the following Monday after the psychological evaluation found nothing to indicate that he posed a threat to himself or others.

The boy, however, was traumatized by the incident, which made going back to school very difficult, the father said. School administrators have approved the father’s request to have the boy transferred to another elementary school in the district.

This is not the first time in recent years that a Taunton student has been sent home over a drawing. In June 2008, a fifth-grade student was suspended from Mulcahey Middle School for a day after creating a stick figure drawing that appeared to depict him shooting his teacher and a classmate.

The Mulcahey teacher also contacted the police to take out charges in the 2008 incident.

"From this arises the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both: but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved."
----Niccolò Machiavelli
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Drawing of Jesus Nets Second Grader Suspension and Mandatory Psych Eval
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
He made the drawing in class after his teacher asked the children to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas, the father said.

Well, he drew an Easter picture on Christmas.

At least it had something to do with Jesus.

The boy wrote his name above the cross.

As a child is supposed to do when handing in assignments to their teacher:  Put your name on the top of your paper.

“As far as I’m concerned, they’re violating his religion,” the incredulous father said.

Dad needs to go back to skrewl.  They're not violating his RELIGION, they're violating his FREEDOM of religious expression.  I would agree with dad if he actually said that.

The teacher asked for a personalized expression on the meaning of Christmas for the individual students.  The teacher got what she asked for.  This drawing, while theologically has little to do with Christmas, is appropriately associated with Christmas to an 8 year old who has not yet fully comprehended the faith he is being introduced to.

I hope the district eats crow, pays out $$, and the kid gets to go to a better private school with the proceeds.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
“Generally speaking, we have safety protocols in place,” Hackett said. “If a situation warrants it, we ask for outside safety evaluations if we have particular concerns about a child’s safety. We followed all the protocols in our system.”

I call satire. Nobody could be that dumb.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »
I wonder if the parent could demand the teacher undergo an evaluation?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
jfruser, I really appreciate the Machiavelli quote at the end.  For better or worse, that is the approach I have taken in many aspects of my life.  I go in and very early drop on them (school, etc.) that I am a trial attorney and a magistrate judge.  Sometimes, it is better to be feared...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »

As fun as it is to call this religious persecution, I'd hazard a guess that it's more "zero tolerance" nonsense.  IMHO, it's the same mess as throwing kids in detention or suspending them for bringing a butter knife for their lunch.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:29:35 PM »
As fun as it is to call this religious persecution, I'd hazard a guess that it's more "zero tolerance" nonsense.  IMHO, it's the same mess as throwing kids in detention or suspending them for bringing a butter knife for their lunch.

Or drawing a picture of a gun at age 8.  School administrators are no longer allowed to think for themselves.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
Or drawing a picture of a gun at age 8.  School administrators are no longer allowed to think for themselves.

How can you allow a person to do something they're incapable of doing?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »

Well, it's an effective way to avoid some lawsuits.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
This drawing, while theologically has little to do with Christmas, is appropriately associated with Christmas to an 8 year old who has not yet fully comprehended the faith he is being introduced to.

Actually - if you believe that way - the kid got it exactly right.

Jesus was born on "Christmas" (not necessarily 12-25) so that He could die on the Cross thirty something years later.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
so kid went to a christian retreat (what is that? like a camp or a chruch or abby or something) for a christmas thingy, no doubt saw a gazillon and one criucefixes and so when the teacher told them to draw a christmas picture, kid drew what he saw at the retreat christmas thingy.

furthermore, your standard 8 year old is not gonna think to kill themselves on a cross or want to be Cruicified. thats a little more for crazy teens that are too smart for their own good, not very orginal and need to spend sometime in a mental ward.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »
It's the old problem of not having the right tools for the job!!

And, yes, teachers really can be this dumb, undoubtedly.

My favorite: A school board member (I know, not a teacher) was interviewed on TV re: a flap between school and a parent  involving a school bus route:"We not want no kid to not ride the bus!"  Can't freakin' speak English and is deciding school policy.

Chris: good work! Daughter had a problem w/ a teacher; nothing serious, and of course, MY daughter couldn't be wrong.  I appeared for a meeting in suit & tie and knowledge of body language. I'm 6'2". 220 lbs. "Have a seat Mr. FXXXXXXXX." "Thanks, I'm fine." Folded my arms across my chest and stood rather close to the seated little bitxxx. "Oh, no, Mr. FXXXXXX, she's doing fine, she's very bright, etc., etc........."

Yeah, I know; my sentence structure sucks.

There really are some good teachers. Unfortunately, they're in the minority, or even persecuted.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »
so kid went to a christian retreat (what is that? like a camp or a chruch or abby or something)

Well, at my current church, we don't have retreats; we have advances!   :laugh:

Anyway, retreats I've attended are kind of like church camp, but for adults.  Or children/teens.  I imagine it's something like a corporate retreat, but probably not as posh, and with religious services and prayer time, rather than whatever it is the business folk do on their retreat thingies. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »

Yeah.  That sort of shrinking violet stuff has gotten into churches, too, I'm afraid.  Christianity is, in a sense, a blood-drenched religion.  A lot of church-goers don't like to hear about that anymore. 

As others have pointed out, drawing the crucifixion indicates that the kid is starting to get a grasp of his (or his family's) religious beliefs, not that he needs mental eval. 

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
Results of an overly litigious society.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »
*Sigh*
You know how, every time a nutjob goes on a killing spree, they mention all the "warning signs" that people saw and said nothing about? This is an effort to report everything that could possibly be construed as a warning sign.
Naturally, in classic governmental tradition, they go overboard.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Seems to me that the school administrators are showing "warning signs" of being obsessive control freaks. Next time a kid disappears in the area, the cops should drag them in for questioning.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
Another article on it.
Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross.
Uh, guys, if an 8 year old is showing signs that he's got himself confused with GOD I think it warrants a psych eval.  Sure, it's probably nothing, but if he's really got a Messianic complex it should be nipped in the bud before things jump off the chain.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
Oh.  Didn't notice that before. 

HOWEVER.  And this is a big HOWEVER, scripture also speaks of the believer being crucified with Christ.  Galations 2.20 and 6.14.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
so kid went to a christian retreat (what is that? like a camp or a chruch or abby or something) for a christmas thingy, no doubt saw a gazillon and one criucefixes and so when the teacher told them to draw a christmas picture, kid drew what he saw at the retreat christmas thingy.

Exactly. If there's one thing you're likely to see at a Christian retreat center, it's a cross .. or three, or four, or ... So they took an 8-year old to this place with crucifixes and told him they were there about Christmas, so then they asked him to draw something that reminded him of Christmas.

Nothing like zapping the poor kid for following the flippin' instructions.

This wasn't a "retreat," folks, this was a retreat center. Specifically, to cite the article, the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette. I'm thinking they had more than a couple of crucifixes at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:34:49 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »
Another article on it.Uh, guys, if an 8 year old is showing signs that he's got himself confused with GOD I think it warrants a psych eval.  Sure, it's probably nothing, but if he's really got a Messianic complex it should be nipped in the bud before things jump off the chain.
Then why hasn't our dear leader been evaled yet? :D
Look, tiny text!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I'm thinking they had more than a couple of crucifixes at the National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette.

Good thing he didn't draw any pictures of the Lady of La Sallette. They would have nailed him for being a sex offender.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:32 AM »
Good thing he didn't draw any pictures of the Lady of La Sallette. They would have nailed him for being a sex offender.
Whiskey.
All.
Over.
Monitor.

/afk  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

crt360

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:50 AM »
Dad tells the tauntaun gazette that the school is violating his kid's religion, but tells WBZ-TV that he suspects racism.  So, they're violating his religion because he's black?

In the WBZ story that GB posted, it does say that he told the teacher that it was a drawing of himself.  I'm not a school teacher, but I understand that they are taught to look out for signs of abuse in young children.  Maybe the boy's drawing and verbal communication to the teacher were interpreted as such.  Maybe that's what dad is really upset about.

I think they should show some concern about the quality (or apparent lack) of art education at the kid's school.
For entertainment purposes only.