Author Topic: Drawing of Jesus Nets Second Grader Suspension and Mandatory Psych Eval  (Read 16989 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Drawing of Jesus Nets Second Grader Suspension and Mandatory Psych Eval
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 03:34:33 AM »
“As far as I’m concerned, they’re violating his religion,” the incredulous father said.

Fail.  There's no way an 8-year-old kid can possibly have a "religion" to violate.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
There's no way an 8-year-old kid can possibly have a "religion" to violate.

how many kids you got/raised?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 08:54:18 AM »
He should have drawn a Mastercard. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
Fail.  There's no way an 8-year-old kid can possibly have a "religion" to violate.
I attended parochial school for 8 years.

The nuns who taught me early on, starting with 1st grade, would vehemently disagree with you.

As do I.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »

To many people that's more of a religious icon than a crucifix.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »

To many people that's more of a religious icon than a crucifix.

Introducing the Mammoncard Platinum...

"What's in your wallet?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »

How does that work, exactly? 

If he were anything other than christian they would swoon over it. 
"oooh ahhh, look at the picture of Buddha!!  Good job Timmy!"

(Would have used Islam as an example, but I don't think an Islamic child would draw Muhammed)

In the WBZ story that GB posted, it does say that he told the teacher that it was a drawing of himself.  I'm not a school teacher, but I understand that they are taught to look out for signs of abuse in young children.  Maybe the boy's drawing and verbal communication to the teacher were interpreted as such.  Maybe that's what dad is really upset about.

Yes, this could be a case of over-paranoid teachers and not religious persecution.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
The boy, however, was traumatized by the incident, which made going back to school very difficult, the father said. School administrators have approved the father’s request to have the boy transferred to another elementary school in the district.

I'd sue the school to make them pay for the kid's counseling to get him over what the administrators did to him.

That's the problem with policies like this.  With virtually unlimited ability to push expenses on the parents, there's no check on how far administrators can go, what they can demand from parents.

On the father's comments, I could see the 'freedom of' being dropped from either the article, or assumed by the dad.  I tend to drop words if I'm not careful.  As for the racism, I can see them violating his freedom of religion because of racism.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »

In the WBZ story that GB posted, it does say that he told the teacher that it was a drawing of himself.  I'm not a school teacher, but I understand that they are taught to look out for signs of abuse in young children.  Maybe the boy's drawing and verbal communication to the teacher were interpreted as such.  Maybe that's what dad is really upset about.

i dont' buy dad's accusation of racism nor the possibility that this is the kid drawing himself.

i go back to my earier statment that i dont' think an would 8 YO think to crucifie himself. I think the kid misspoke or the teacher missheard on that one (the 8 YO's i've been around arn't always the most articulate, especially if stressed or hyper)
plus there are a lot of things that kids get confused about when it comes to religion, especially when they confuse the literal meanings with the more estoric meanings (come on, when you were a kid, didn't you ever get a little confused about communion? "we eat jesus?  :O " ) and if the kid got confused in a not so good way about his religion, well thats a matter for his pastor and parents, not the school and a psych exam. In which case, yes, the kid could have drawn himself, but not in any way that would indicate he's being abused or wants to hurt himself.

as for dad, well, it sounds like he's milking this particular situation for all its worth.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/12/16/taunton_officials_dispute_reports_on_jesus_sketch/

TAUNTON - City officials sharply disputed yesterday widely distributed reports that a local elementary school suspended a second-grader and required the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation for drawing a picture of Jesus on the cross.

The story, initially reported by the local newspaper, raised questions of religious bias days before Christmas and was broadcast by local television stations and other news media. Making the story more compelling, the boy’s father held court for much of the day at his girlfriend’s apartment, granting interviews to reporters from Providence to Boston, demanding that the school district compensate him for his family’s pain and suffering.

“It hurts me that they did this to my kid,’’ Chester Johnson, the boy’s father, said in an interview with the Globe. “They can’t mess with our religion. They owe us a small lump sum for this.’’

But school officials say that the account in yesterday’s Taunton Daily Gazette was rife with errors and that the father’s description of what happened is untrue.

“The report is totally inaccurate,’’ Julie Hackett, superintendent of the Taunton public schools, said in an interview in her office yesterday. “The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted.’’

Dino F. Ciliberti, editor of the Gazette, did not return calls yesterday.

Hackett said the student, age 9, was never suspended and that neither he nor other students at the Maxham Elementary School were asked by the teacher to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday, as the Gazette and other media reported and the father suggested, although his story changed as he explained it.

She said it was unclear whether the boy, who put his name above a stick figure portrait of Christ on the cross, had drawn the picture in school, which his teacher discovered Dec. 2.

“Religion had nothing to do with this at all, 100 percent nothing to do with it,’’ Hackett said, adding that Taunton is known as “The Christmas City.’’

She said the drawing was seen as a potential cry for help when the student identified himself, rather than Jesus, on the cross, which prompted the teacher to alert the school’s principal and staff psychologist. As a result, the boy underwent a psychological evaluation.

She declined to comment on the results of the evaluation or whether the teacher had reason to believe that the student was crying out for help. The boy’s father showed reporters a report indicating his son was not a threat to himself or others and could return to school.

“In this case, as in any other case involving the well-being of a student, the administration acted in accordance with the School Department’s well-established protocol,’’ she said in a statement. “This protocol is centered upon the student’s care, well-being, and educational success. The protocol includes a review of the student’s records.’’

After reading the account in the local paper, Mayor Charles Crowley of Taunton asked Hackett to apologize to the boy’s parents. But in a telephone interview late yesterday, he said he stands by the superintendent.

“Dr. Hackett has far more of the facts than I do, and now I understand that the report was not accurate,’’ he said. “Based on her account, I stand behind my superintendent. She is in possession of the facts.’’

Officials from the state Department of Children and Families declined to comment on the case because there was no allegation of abuse.

Johnson said his son was suffering as a result of the commotion. He said his grades have declined in recent days and that he wanted him to be transferred to the Elizabeth Pole School, the most recently built in Taunton.

“He said he was uncomfortable,’’ he said. “I also think they should give him a fully paid scholarship to the school of his choice. We should be compensated for our pain and suffering.’’

Johnson acknowledged that his son identified himself on the cross, but he said it was only after he told school officials that his picture represented Jesus.

“He was scared, so he changed his story,’’ Johnson said.

School officials said the newspaper had an ax to grind, citing an opinion piece Ciliberti posted yesterday on the Gazette’s website, in which he called the school’s actions “a shame’’ and argued that the district “turned this into a major story.’’

Hackett said the Gazette published its story without giving the district time to investigate the allegations.

“The approach that is often taken is that an editorial or article in the local newspaper is completely inaccurate, but it gets published before anyone checks the facts,’’ she said.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
Kid's father sounds like a real winner.

Still, if the new version is the correct one, it still seems like another no-tolerance sky-is-falling reaction. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
Kid's father sounds like a real winner.

Still, if the new version is the correct one, it still seems like another no-tolerance sky-is-falling reaction. 

more like a "HAHAHA!!! finally i can sue someone and live the big life! HAHAHAHA!" reaction.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
It looks like both of those things.  The school over-reacted, and the father saw dollar signs. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
plus there are a lot of things that kids get confused about when it comes to religion, especially when they confuse the literal meanings with the more estoric meanings (come on, when you were a kid, didn't you ever get a little confused about communion? "we eat jesus?  :O " ) and if the kid got confused in a not so good way about his religion,

Heck, I think at 8 years of age I still thought God was an old man with a white beard (you know, the Big Guy whose picture is on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel) who somehow lived in the attic of the church and only came out when other people weren't around.

I KNOW I believed that at 6. Pretty sure I still believed it at 8.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Fail.  There's no way an 8-year-old kid can possibly have a "religion" to violate.
=|

plus there are a lot of things that kids get confused about when it comes to religion
Adults are often confused by religion, much less little kids.  I'm not sure why the school administrators are surprised or alarmed that the poor kid has an apparent misunderstanding about it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:06:49 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
Adults are often confused by religion, much less little kids.  I'm not sure why the school administrators are surprised or alarmed that the poor kid has an apparent misunderstanding about it.

Because they have none, thus they have no understanding of the concept of "religion" and are either afraid of it or jealous of it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
Because they have none, thus they have no understanding of the concept of "religion" and are either afraid of it or jealous of it.

They have a religion called Secular Humanism, and it is a jealous god.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
alright, can we call it quits on snotty comments about those without a religion?

:police:

thank you

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 12:37:15 AM »
What snotty comments? I'm merely observing that A. secular humanism is a religion (ie unprovable worldview about the nature of man, god, origins of life, morality etc etc) and B. it is the only religion allowed to be taught in public schools. It is, in fact, the official state religion as far as .gov schools are concerned. All the hysteria over prayer in schools, posting the 10 Commandments etc and no one seems to care that one and only one religion is allowed to be indoctrinated taught in public schools.

I'm not saying anything negative about this religion in and of itself, merely pointing out the hypcrisy of it's refusal to self acknowledge as a religion.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 12:38:49 AM »
They have a religion called Secular Humanism, and it is a jealous god.

had i made a similar comment about christianity, there would be hell to pay right now.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »
I don't think so.  Christian scripture specifically states that God is a jealous god.  Or at least I thought that was in there somewhere.

No one was talking about the non-religious in general.  The remarks were directed at school administrators.  This is not unlike the misunderstanding and uproar about "atheist scum." 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
i'm gonna stand by my statement and say had this converstation been reversed, thread lock would be imminent.

don't tell me that jelouse god bit wasn't delevered in a completely snarky way.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
Nothing like arguments about religion to make a thread go south.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:01 AM »
I'll say it blue.

Quote from: Exodus 20:5
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Quote from: Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Again, unless you're a public school official my comment had nothing to do with you. I was merely pointing out that only one religion is allowed to be taught in public schools.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 01:09:09 AM »
I was merely pointing out that only one religion is allowed to be taught in public schools.

Ooh, are we using bold now?

Secular = not religion, not without some fun semantic games.