Author Topic: Old man winter about to make it snow turtle season in DC  (Read 12749 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Old man winter about to make it snow turtle season in DC
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
I'll break out the mountain bike or cross bike later and make some skinny tracks in the snow

Thinking about doing the same.  I'm almost tempted to creep out to Conway Robinson and ride the trails.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Hear about the Eurostar last night? Four trains got stuck in the tunnel, the claimed reason being that the temperature differential between the tunnel and the outside air was too great for the trains to operate. A friends sister was stuck in there for 12 hours.

How does this work? I Googled some news stories on it, but none of them explained why the temp differential caused the breakdown.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
wow.  We're over 10" now.  Forcast is for it to snow through midnight tonight.  I'd be surprised if we get less than 18" out of it.  Thats a bonafide blizzard here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Iain

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 12:04:10 PM »
How does this work? I Googled some news stories on it, but none of them explained why the temp differential caused the breakdown.

Haven't a clue. It's not really that cold either, only just into minus celsius. Explaining and compensating to do.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
Senate Likely Snowed in for Health Care Vote
Posted 2009-12-19
Up to a foot or two of heavy snowfall this weekend for the Washington, D.C., metro area has the potential to impact President Obama's health care initiative, which is set to be voted on by Christmas.

The snow could delay travel for many senators, who will need to be in the nation's capital for what is expected to be a weekend full of several late-night and early-morning votes.

The Senate may vote on health care as soon as Christmas Eve.

http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-features.asp?#extremes
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 01:12:06 PM »
15 inches and rising at 1300 local. Quantico reporting a thundersnowstorm. It's snowing really hard. Little wind puffs to 10 knots and still 27 degrees F. Cabin fever is setting in. I'm deciding which dog to eat.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
I just took the trash out and stopped to get my snow boots from my car (smart precaution to keep them in the car, but meant I was wearing hiking boots instead of snow boots to get the the car...)

With the wind and the drifts, at times the snow was up to my knee. I shoveled more than a foot of snow off of our trunk.

Incidentally, I did it with a smile- I have nowhere to go today and I LOVE weather like this.  =D
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
Turned on the TV here in Chicago and saw the reports about the "THE GIANT KILLER  SNOW STORM ON THE EAST COAST !!!!!!!"  [popcorn] [popcorn]

According to the teevee, Mike Irwin, jamis, csd, mtnbkr, leatherneck, 280plus, and everyone else from VA to southern NH are all going to die, and we'll be digging out your frozen corspes sometime in the spring.

It's been nice knowing ya, and try to freeze to death in a position that makes it easy to haul your carcasses out the door. kthxbye

:P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:34:35 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
adrian minn about 60 miles from sioux falls  near worthington

I'll be close by, near Windom.

I hope to even make it to the airport, not sure what is happening there. I went 35 miles one way this morning to take the doggie to the kennel, no real big problems.  Lacking necessities like a tractor or a snow blade I made quite a medieval drag out of 100ft of chain, cinderblocks and 4x4. Worked spiffy for knocking it down. Now I can't get my truck back pu my drive way, last turn 200yds from the house is impossible to carry any speed into and is uphill. Traction is now gone. I'd prefer to stay home, but the wifey is committed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

What's the point of this picture?

It was taken in 2004.........   ???
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
Senate Likely Snowed in for Health Care Vote
Posted 2009-12-19
Up to a foot or two of heavy snowfall this weekend for the Washington, D.C., metro area has the potential to impact President Obama's health care initiative, which is set to be voted on by Christmas.

The snow could delay travel for many senators, who will need to be in the nation's capital for what is expected to be a weekend full of several late-night and early-morning votes.

The Senate may vote on health care as soon as Christmas Eve.

Excellent, the Gods themselves are conspiring against Obamacare!

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
Turned on the TV here in Chicago and saw the reports aobu the "THE GIANT KILLER  SNOW STORM ON THE EAST COAST !!!!!!!"  [popcorn] [popcorn]

According to the teevee, Mike Irwin, jamis, csd, mtnbkr, leatherneck, 280plus, and everyone else from VA to southern NH are all going to die, and we'll be digging out your frozen corspes sometime in the spring.

It's been nice knowing ya, and try to freeze to death in a position that makes it easy to haul your carcasses out the door. kthxbye

:P

I bet their firearms & paraphenalia will ride out the storm in fine shape.

Lemme see if I can book a U-Haul trailer come March...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »

I didn't mention that part, as I have dibs.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »
I'll be close by, near Windom.

I hope to even make it to the airport, not sure what is happening there. I went 35 miles one way this morning to take the doggie to the kennel, no real big problems.  Lacking necessities like a tractor or a snow blade I made quite a medieval drag out of 100ft of chain, cinderblocks and 4x4. Worked spiffy for knocking it down. Now I can't get my truck back pu my drive way, last turn 200yds from the house is impossible to carry any speed into and is uphill. Traction is now gone. I'd prefer to stay home, but the wifey is committed.

if you don't want to go i can put wife in the back seat of the jeep between the 2 year old and the 8 year old.  she'll love it! =D  we're driving straight through with a possible stop at kalihari   IF i don't have to hear "shes touching me!" too often.  got video in the back seat and 2 dsi's .  first class all the way
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
i have enough trailers here to load the loot in if i'm gone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »

I'm perfectly comfortable in this stuff.  The driveway and front walk have been shoveled, a snow fort dug for the kids, and I even got a bike ride in.  I have brandy for the hot chocolate and the wife is baking cookies.  The guns are oiled and ready.  Bring it on! :P

Along with the rest of us as well.

i have enough trailers here to load the loot in if i'm gone

Don't forget body bags.  Lots of them.  =D [popcorn]

Chris

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
And I feel NO sympathy for any of y'all. I've had too many of my brothers and sisters from southern climes giving me grief about how they're still riding when my scoot's in storage to feel anything but shadenfreude when y'all get clobbered like this... :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »
Crisis has hit casa de la jamisjockey:  I am out of booze.

Snowballs, the dog

Eating snow off the picnic table

rolling around in it

My buddy came by in his Rubicon to rescue me for a bit

Stepped of an embankment and it was a balls-deep drift

Stuck plow

DON’T EAT IT!

In the ditch:

This dumbass plow driver drove right off the road in front of us

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
theres some guy on craigs list begging for jaegermeister   the abc's are closed

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »

Till you open the door and out come Reaverized APS'ers who went stark raving mad from lack of [booze, tobacco, Mtn Dew, et al].  It's a great gamble, my friend.  I wish you the best of luck. 

Oh, and Jamis?  I have several hundred bucks worth of decent booze at the moment.  Primary wine, whiskey, and rum.  Christmas presents and whatnot.  Ironic part, I don't really drink anymore.  Wish you were closer, sorry mate.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Till you open the door and out come Reaverized APS'ers who went stark raving mad from lack of [booze, tobacco, Mtn Dew, et al].  It's a great gamble, my friend.  I wish you the best of luck. 

Being a rugged outdoorsman, I'll walk or bike to the stores (plenty nearby).  What I'll be suffering from is being stuck in the house with two kids and a wife all suffering from cabin fever. 

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
theres some guy on craigs list begging for jaegermeister   the abc's are closed

Ugh.  If he's going to beg, at least it should be for good microbrew or rum.
JD

erictank

• friends
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »
Just finished eating, here at work - came home from the water plant (a 20-minute drive normally, took me 45 minutes each way today) and shovelled the driveway clear of 6-8 inches of snow starting at 5 AM; finished that, salted the drive, and collapsed into bed shortly after 7.  Woke up just after 1:30P to make sure I had enough time to clear the drive again and get into work by 4:30 - yeah, right.  I was shovelling by 1:50, and did not finish until after 4 - apparently our local snowplow-pickup drivers were using my driveway as a dropoff point for the accumulation of slush and snow on my road, as the end of my drive was buried a foot or more deeper than the curb 10 feet on either side.  Thanks a lot, frakking @######s.  So I didn't get into work until well after 5 this evening, and I'm already worn down to a nub from (temporarily) clearing the driveway so I could get the car out.  Not looking forward to clearing the drive AGAIN, for the third time in 24 hours, when I get home after 5 tomorrow morning.

I *LIKE* the snow, I really do.  I can even drive relatively well in it - mostly because I'm not stupid when I do have to go out in bad weather, I suspect, more than anything else.  It can be REALLY inconvenient sometimes, though.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

Oh, and Jamis?  I have several hundred bucks worth of decent booze at the moment.  Primary wine, whiskey, and rum.  Christmas presents and whatnot.  Ironic part, I don't really drink anymore.  Wish you were closer, sorry mate.
I'm not quite as, eh, bad? Lucky? Whatever...to have that much, but I've got more than enough beer, rum, tequila, cider, gin and probably some other things as well. Should it prove to be insufficient, I'll drink all the stuff that's expired (about 30 cans/bottles of beer and cider that expired from lack of drinking).

Just finished eating, here at work - came home from the water plant (a 20-minute drive normally, took me 45 minutes each way today) and shovelled the driveway clear of 6-8 inches of snow starting at 5 AM; finished that, salted the drive, and collapsed into bed shortly after 7.  Woke up just after 1:30P to make sure I had enough time to clear the drive again and get into work by 4:30 - yeah, right.  I was shovelling by 1:50, and did not finish until after 4 - apparently our local snowplow-pickup drivers were using my driveway as a dropoff point for the accumulation of slush and snow on my road, as the end of my drive was buried a foot or more deeper than the curb 10 feet on either side.  Thanks a lot, frakking @######s.  So I didn't get into work until well after 5 this evening, and I'm already worn down to a nub from (temporarily) clearing the driveway so I could get the car out.  Not looking forward to clearing the drive AGAIN, for the third time in 24 hours, when I get home after 5 tomorrow morning.

I *LIKE* the snow, I really do.  I can even drive relatively well in it - mostly because I'm not stupid when I do have to go out in bad weather, I suspect, more than anything else.  It can be REALLY inconvenient sometimes, though.
You obviously need something to help you clear the snow. I suggest this =D =D.
Or these (yep, all three of them) =D =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »
hard on the shrubs   and be careful near vinyl siding