Author Topic: any mid 80's Chevy K10 guru's here?  (Read 15754 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: any mid 80's Chevy K10 guru's here?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Similar to my druthers:
1986 or older
1/2 or 3/4 ton or 1 ton (duallies need not apply)
4WD
Extended cab or crew cab

I figure that will cover any pickup/off-road needs for quite some time, driving it a couple times/week.

Always be checking Craigslist and have cash in hand. There weren't that many GMC/Chevy with crew cabs cabs before 86, I don't think they had extended cabs until 87. Ford made a bunch though.

I'd love to have a 67-72 GMC/Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton, but solid ones don't go cheap.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »
OK!

16 inch rims, the tires currently are 120/116Q 2 ply cooper discovery A/T.
On the side of the tire it says 80psi cold, my air gauge only goes up to 60 so I filled them to 55 - that's good enough until I get to a gas station with air and a better guage? My air gauge is great but only for motorcycles.

its an automatic but on the floor it does have a clutch type thing that says 2H 4H   N  4L & I guess
that has something to do with 4 wheel drive? Currently in the 2H position.

it seems to have a simple carb, its an Edelbrock, with a big round air filter that also says Edelbrock-I only see two wires, it could e zombie EMP proof couldn't it? I have not seen any sensors or computers yet.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

its an automatic but on the floor it does have a clutch type thing that says 2H 4H   N  4L & I guess
that has something to do with 4 wheel drive? Currently in the 2H position.

Yes that is what controls your transfer case.  Unless you are in need of 4 wheel drive 2H is your default setting.  The others will shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive either Hi or Lo.  Also before shifting into 4H or 4L you need to make sure that your front axles are locked in.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
Yes that is what controls your transfer case.  Unless you are in need of 4 wheel drive 2H is your default setting.  The others will shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive either Hi or Lo.  Also before shifting into 4H or 4L you need to make sure that your front axles are locked in.
That's about it.

2H means you have rear wheels driving.
4H means you have all four driving and you can go about as fast as 2H, but burn more gas.
4L means you have all four driving and you have the low gear range. This is for when you get really effen stuck. Low gearing keeps you from going very fast, but puts more torque to the wheels.
N is neutral for the t-case, but it's not neutral for transmission. This is used for emergency towing and, on some trucks, for PTO accessory use. You probably don't have to worry about the PTO.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
Do you have manual lock out hubs  ???

Look in the middle of your front wheels: there should be finger slots and arrows
Free <---> Lock

Our 91 Suburban (same body/chassis as the 81-87 pickups) had mechanical auto locking hubs (basically a big starter gear) that didn't work very reliably.  I replaced them with Warn manual hubs for about $120.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »
PTO?? whats that?
 is it ok to shift from 4H to 4L while moving? I assume to shift to 4H means I get out of the truck to lock the wheels?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »

Look in the middle of your front wheels: there should be finger slots and arrows
Free <---> Lock

Our 91 Suburban (same body/chassis as the 81-87 pickups) had mechanical auto locking hubs (basically a big starter gear) that didn't work very reliably.  I replaced them with Warn manual hubs for about $120.

I think they are-I'll BRB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
PTO?? whats that?
 is it ok to shift from 4H to 4L while moving? I assume to shift to 4H means I get out of the truck to lock the wheels?

Power Take Off - a shaft to run winches, hydraulic pumps, etc

NO!  Do not shift 4Lo <--> 4Hi while moving!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

Free <---> Lock

they are Warn manual hubs I guess, they say Warn & Free <---> Lock, is it OK to spray
wd 40?  they don't seem to want to move

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »
Power Take Off - a shaft to run winches, hydraulic pumps, etc

NO!  Do not shift 4Lo <--> 4Hi while moving!

what about the opposite? hi to lo? I guess that's not kosher either?

be back in awhile the suns going down gotta start the gen, start a fire, stuff like that

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
NO!  Do not shift 4Lo <--> 4Hi while moving!

I have the last year of the stick-on-the-floor t-case. When you shift 4H<>4L you are supposed to not pause at N, or you will grind some gears. Is that true on the earlier t-cases?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
they are Warn manual hubs I guess, they say Warn & Free <---> Lock, is it OK to spray
wd 40?  they don't seem to want to move

Probably won't do much good  =|

How cold is it outside?  They might move if you drive it a little and warm it up.

Lock out hubs have a habit of sticking like that if you don't use them.  Thirty plus years ago I made $20 (lot of money back then) taking apart cleaning and lubing some hunters' hubs after they got stuck.

You might have to service the hubs.  It's not too technical: there is a splined driveshaft, splines on the inside of the hub body, and a moving piece that slides in and out to (dis)connect the two, plus a big spring and the cam that you turn.  Not knowing the truck's service history, it would also be a good idea to pull the hubs/rotors and repack the wheel bearings.  That's not so hard either except you need a special wrench to take off the big double nuts.  You also have to remove the brake caliper to let the hub/rotor slide off.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
what about the opposite? hi to lo? I guess that's not kosher either?

be back in awhile the suns going down gotta start the gen, start a fire, stuff like that

Generally there is no reason to shift it while moving.  Stop, put the tranny in neutral, and then shift the txfer case.  You can usually go back and forth between 2H and 4H without stopping, but don't try to shift into 4wd if you are stuck and the wheels are spinning!

When you use 4wd, you may experience a bind up situation trying to get it back into 2wd.  The trick is back up slowly in an S-pattern which usually unwinds the tension (sounds stupid but it works).

And come to think of it, I'm not sure that the aluminum chain drive transfer case even has a PTO plate, and I'm not going out in the dark and crawl under our Suburban in the snow to find out  :P   The old iron txfer cases (and the old 4 speed manual transmissions) had a plate about 4"x6" on one side.  You can buy a PTO attachment that replaces this plate and has a counter shaft and gear that slides into a gear in the box that always turns in neutral.  Then there would be a lever or cable control to slide the gear in and out, and of course another driveshaft that connects to whatever.

I put one of these on the transmission on my old C-60 GMC to run a hydraulic pump so I had to figure out how it all worked.  Part of the driveshaft to the pump I made out of an old pole lamp  :lol:  I cut a slot in the floorboard, bolted a short piece of small angle iron to the floor, and used one of those galvanized power pole x-piece braces for a lever  =)  It was one of the best working PTO systems I've ever seen.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
Always be checking Craigslist and have cash in hand. There weren't that many GMC/Chevy with crew cabs cabs before 86, I don't think they had extended cabs until 87. Ford made a bunch though.

I'd love to have a 67-72 GMC/Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton, but solid ones don't go cheap.

Ford, GM, Dodge, I really don't care.  That old, it is (almost) all about the condition of the vehicle.

Truly, if I am prejudiced against one, it is the GM and Mr. Smokey the small block v-8.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 12:27:19 AM »
They are good trucks.  I'm looking for a 1980 or older 3/4 ton 4x4.  I think 1981 is when they changed to the aluminum chain drive transfer case, which I don't trust for anything heavy duty like pulling stumps, etc.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2724272629.html

Uranus is a gas giant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »
With a real transfer case about the only shift I'll make rolling is 4H to 2, and then with the drivetrain unloaded. On the carb, sounds all aftermarket and someone put a real carb on, so yay for you. Drive it. Anyway, you never did answer, do you have Advance Auto out there?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2724272629.html

Would cost a bunch just to drive it home  =(

I'll stick to western pickups minus the rust  ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »
Would cost a bunch just to drive it home  =(

I'll stick to western pickups minus the rust  ;)

That is one of the least rusty ones I have seen around here. 4x4 ones are getting really scare around here, I think a lot more 2wd were built than 4x4 for that era.

Uranus is a gas giant.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
With a real transfer case about the only shift I'll make rolling is 4H to 2, and then with the drivetrain unloaded. On the carb, sounds all aftermarket and someone put a real carb on, so yay for you. Drive it. Anyway, you never did answer, do you have Advance Auto out there?

No, no Advanced Auto afaik-next time I'm in Reno I'll look for it. It seems as if the previous owner before the guy that gave it to me was a competent enough mechanic, the wires for the spark plugs are held in place by moroso & that sounds familiar.

Looks like my paycheck wont clear until after my Reno trip so no seafoam for a couple weeks. I have carb cleaner fluid, that might help a little and there may be some octane booster around

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
No, no Advanced Auto afaik-next time I'm in Reno I'll look for it. It seems as if the previous owner before the guy that gave it to me was a competent enough mechanic, the wires for the spark plugs are held in place by moroso & that sounds familiar.

Looks like my paycheck wont clear until after my Reno trip so no seafoam for a couple weeks. I have carb cleaner fluid, that might help a little and there may be some octane booster around

Acetone.  One of the more popular solvents used in gas supplements.  You or your boss might have a gallon from Home Depot laying around.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
Tire pressure.
The inflation on the side of tires is the MAXIMUM inflation PSI. You do not need to run at max inflation. You do not want to run at max inflation unless you are at max load.
Look around on the net forways to find the ideal tire pressure for what you are running. The tire makers website might even have something. 35-40 PSI is probably a good starting point.
There are thousands of sites on the net for mechanic stuff, 4X4 stuff and probably even a site more or less specific to your new toy. Chiltons or Clymers book are one of the first things I buy when I drag in a "new" POS to play with, money well spent.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
I just got gifted a 1986 Chevy K10, it still runs!!
The truck has been sitting still for 2 1/2 yrs never being turned on and the front seat is half eaten away by mice, a little starter fluid and a new batt and it kind of fired right up.

It has half a tank of gas according to the gauge, that gas has been in there for goodness knows how long.

The engine looks pretty good, I'm amazed by how much elbow room there is.

I have to install a battery disconnect until I can hire a good mechanic to fix the electric, the windows do not work and the AC is broken too - I've been told if I roll down the windows I'll have to disassemble the door to raise them ( driver side door conviently mostly disassembled )

Its lifted and 4wheel drive, with a really good camper shell i good shape ...

I've been told it get the worse mileage ever - however its FREE! and right now all I have to get around on is a motorcycle-so I do not go anywhere because its to dang cold. ...

IDEAS? Advice?

FREE!!??  That's awesome!
Wow! My first vehicle was an 82 K10, and I absolutely love it.  Still have it, but it doesn't get driven that much.
K10s are pretty much the T 34s of 4x4s.  Hard to break 'em, and then easy to patch them up.

Ohhh, the stories that truck could tell.

Getting stuck in sand dunes... Yanking a Jeep XJ with brakes full on out of a mud pit...   good times

There's a lot of parts compatibility with various Suburbans/ K5s / silverado   etc....

Go to a junk yard, find an appropriate year, and shop!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:20:01 PM by Pharmacology »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
My 78 jeep J20 lifted on 37in MT, get around 10 mpg.

That's so cute. Kind of like this guy's little brother

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
FREE!!??  That's awesome!

I'm always amazed how people manage to score free cars and guns. I always have to pay for mine. I am the 99%!

=D

Robert A Heinlein

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »
My buddy's m715

Olive drab Mafia!! lol